OT: The Smoked Meat Thread

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
What I get from this thread so far is that finding a great jewish deli outside Montreal is like looking for a great coach who speaks french. You're seriously limiting yourself... :sarcasm:

FuzzyWuzzy

I'm still alive
Dec 20, 2012
Montreal
This is Québec, dude, we don't give a rat's *** about royalty :laugh:

But seriously, maybe location has an impact on reputation? Never heard of it. It's on St-Hubert? Lots of restaurants east of St-Laurent are 'neighborhood hidden gems', so to speak. Maybe this is one of these places? Will give it a try.

Hahaha good one about royalty! :handclap:

But yeh, its on the St-Hubert plaza so kind of tucked away. Most "top smoked meat delis in montréal" lists will mention them, but i dont see actual people mentioning them all that often and they're really an institution. Been there for like 60 years serving amazing deli food and some of the best smoked meat in town. Totally recommend them.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
Poor Le Roi du Smoked Meat. Been there for as long as all of these guys with always the same amazing quality smoked meat, rarely gets a mention out of people.

Looking at the pics online, it reminds me of Chenoys plastic slimy smoked meat.. it's a knockoff FAKE

le-roi-du-smoked-meat.jpg

Compared to more authentic smoked meat that isn't soft like a baby's but

Schwartzs-Montreal-Smoked-Meat-Sandwich-Side-View.jpg

FuzzyWuzzy

I'm still alive
Dec 20, 2012
Montreal
Looking at the pics online, it reminds me of Chenoys plastic slimy smoked meat.. it's a knockoff FAKE

le-roi-du-smoked-meat.jpg

Compared to more authentic smoked meat that isn't soft like a baby's but

Schwartzs-Montreal-Smoked-Meat-Sandwich-Side-View.jpg

To each their own, i guess. I've actually HAD their smoked meat and am not judging on some picture on the net... + i've been living in Montreal for 20 years so i'd say i got a decent handle on what constitutes a good smoked meat, man. I find you pretty quick to dismiss for someone who's got no idea what the food tastes like. It's also pretty ridiculous to call them a fake, considering they've been making smoked meat for 60 years... If anything, other places copied them.

EDIT: Also, you're comparing them to mother****ing Schwartz', dude. There's a reason these guys are legendary.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
To each their own, i guess. I've actually HAD their smoked meat and am not judging on some picture on the net... + i've been living in Montreal for 20 years so i'd say i got a decent handle on what constitutes a good smoked meat, man. I find you pretty quick to dismiss for someone who's got no idea what the food tastes like. It's also pretty ridiculous to call them a fake, considering they've been making smoked meat for 60 years... If anything, other places copied them.

EDIT: Also, you're comparing them to mother****ing Schwartz', dude. There's a reason these guys are legendary.

First of all many places around town will make you a smoked meat with the texture and grains that Schwartz's does theirs.

Dude, I'm not going to get in this debate with you. Yes you can tell the quality of the smoked meat by the picture. If it is slippery and has no texture it's loaded with crap that no human being should eat... Not to say that Schwartz's or other places are organic, but the slimy wet smoked meat is imitation. It's the mcondalds of smoked meat lol

But to your defense, there are many people that prefer the fake stuff, because it's more ''moist''; and I'll confess it can hit the spot.

It's just not authentic!

Google Abies, smoked meat petes, even Dunn's, it all has the texture and grain I'm talking about.

I haven't had Jarry's, but their pics looked like authentic too.

FuzzyWuzzy

I'm still alive
Dec 20, 2012
Montreal
First of all many places around town will make you a smoked meat with the texture and grains that Schwartz's does theirs.

Dude, I'm not going to get in this debate with you. Yes you can tell the quality of the smoked meat by the picture. If it is slippery and has no texture it's loaded with crap that no human being should eat... Not to say that Schwartz's or other places are organic, but the slimy wet smoked meat is imitation. It's the mcondalds of smoked meat lol

But to your defense, there are many people that prefer the fake stuff, because it's more ''moist''; and I'll confess it can hit the spot.

It's just not authentic!

Google Abies, smoked meat petes, even Dunn's, it all has the texture and grain I'm talking about.

Lets agree to disagree, then. I've tasted too many smoked meat sandwiches in my life to let myself be browbeaten into associating Le Roi's meat with the cheap crap they serve elsewhere. I know for a fact that they dont use cheap, plastic wrapped cuts (wich is what you're refering to) and cut their meat on-the-spot straight from the whole smoked meat piece. I've seen them do it many times and it's as authentic as it gets except for places like Schwartz'. You're working 100% on false presumptions based on a bad picture whereas i've actually tasted all of these kinds of smoked meats and know what i'm talking about.

Last edited:

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
Actually I'm not sure if Jarrys smoked meat constitutes as authentic style...looks processed slimy.

Another good authentic one is Georges in Laval...former employee at schwarts

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
Lets agree to disagree, then. I've tasted too many smoked meat sandwiches in my life to let myself be browbeaten into associating Le Roi's meat with the cheap crap they serve elsewhere. I know for a fact that they dont use cheap, plastic wrapped cuts (wich is what you're refering to) and cut their meat on-the-spot straight from the whole smoked meat piece. I've seen them do it many times and it's as authentic as it gets except for places like Schwartz'. You're working 100% on false presumptions based on a bad picture whereas i've actually tasted all of these kinds of smoked meats and know what i'm talking about.

I'm not going on false presumptions. I'm sure Roi's smoked meat is tasty and all and there are many people that like that kind.

Of course they cut it like Schwartz's.... How is it cured and treated is the issue.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

It's just not authentic!

Your points are well taken... but I'm just fine with the "fake" stuff. It's freaking delicious.

JohnKordicsGhost

Jul 1, 2013
Anyone got to Abbie's in the West Island? Pretty good spot there. You can't go wrong though in Montreal. I loved Chenoy's, Schwartz's, Dunn's, Smoked Meat Pete's... I don't discriminate. It's all awesome.

Abbie's is nasty. They serve day old stuff so the freshness is not there. Haven't been back since they passed off yesterdays meat to a party of 8 I was with.

Smoke meat pete's sucks as well. They are insanely expensive. After paying 10 bucks for just a sandwich, i don't want to pay an extra 3$ premium per sandwich so I don't get a sandwich full of gristle. Basicallly you get charged for a fatty sandwich, and if you can't handle gobs of gristle then you have to pay an extra 3$ and you wind up with the dried up leftover scraps.

I live 5 minutes from petes and i will drive downtown to get get schwartz' or ruebens.

JohnKordicsGhost

Jul 1, 2013

It's just not authentic!

I would steer clear of this guy's advice, he clearly has horrible taste in smoked meat.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
Abbie's is nasty. They serve day old stuff so the freshness is not there. Haven't been back since they passed off yesterdays meat to a party of 8 I was with.

Smoke meat pete's sucks as well. They are insanely expensive. After paying 10 bucks for just a sandwich, i don't want to pay an extra 3$ premium per sandwich so I don't get a sandwich full of gristle. Basicallly you get charged for a fatty sandwich, and if you can't handle gobs of gristle then you have to pay an extra 3$ and you wind up with the dried up leftover scraps.

I live 5 minutes from petes and i will drive downtown to get get schwartz' or ruebens.

Schwartz's is not what it used to be. Inconsistent. Still on the list. Pete's is a lot like Schwartz's really. I'm willing to bet most people wouldn't decipher the difference including yourself in a taste test. They both have similar moist levels etc..

Abbies I mentioned but have tried years ago and found it dry.

Reubens I remember being fake but I could be wrong, meant for the crescent f1 tourists who were too lazy to make it out Schwartzs's.

I mean, Reubens man? Really? It's on par with Chenoys.. Ya it's good, but it's the fake stuff.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Hey fellow Habs fans. I've been lurking this forum for quite a while, but never actually had the urge to post. But no subject gets me as emotional as smoked meat, so I think it's my duty to inform you guys that the best smoked meat in the Montreal island is BY FAR Jarry Smoked Meat restaurant in St-Léonard. Honorable mentions to Schwartz, Dunn's, Moishes (the eastern-european classics) and Mont-Royal Hot-Dog. :yo:

Jarry Smoked Meat is a dump. Its only redeeming quality is that it's opened 24/7.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
This is Québec, dude, we don't give a rat's *** about royalty :laugh:

But seriously, maybe location has an impact on reputation? Never heard of it. It's on St-Hubert? Lots of restaurants east of St-Laurent are 'neighborhood hidden gems', so to speak. Maybe this is one of these places? Will give it a try.

Yeah near Beaubien

Alex514

May 10, 2015
Snowdown Deli , Authentic Jewish Deli.

Will give Schwatz a run for it's money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad