Player Discussion The Slaf Thread - Parabolic Growth Edition

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
Would be or will be? I think Mesar will become one of the best playmakers in the NHL, easely. I watched his footage.

Da? i barely have said anything about Slaf all year long. The 8 mil comment was targeted at the club not at Slaf.
Alright we're done after this because you clearly are a liar. You are in the Slaf thread and were responding to a comment about giving Slaf a ~8 mil contract like Suzuki or Caufield.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
What kind of production do you guys think he will have next season??

I'd say 25 goals-40 assists=65 pts

Reactions: Rozz

Sunfyre

Aug 16, 2023
If we were to try and extend him this summer, what would that contract look like? Have to think his agent will also be projecting that Slaf could put up 60-70 points next year..

Would he get a similar contract to Cole/Suzuki if we gave him 8 years? If he signed a bridge, could it be similar to what we gave Drouin? 6x6? or 6mil x 5?

Does it make more sense to wait and see how next season goes?

I find it's difficult to predict the range in which that next contract will look like

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
That's realistic and it's probably going to be around that. Hell he may have reached 60 pts this if he had a better start and was with Suzuki and Caufield from the start. Playing with a struggling Anderson didn't help although

Ya 60-65ish pts next year. Then i think 70-80 the year after if he continues to progress and show consistency .

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Slafkovsky will sign 8 years but don't think it will be this summer. His agent won't allow it.

If he signs this summer, i see something around 7M$ for 8 years.

If it is next summer, unless he becomes our most productive forward, he will sign a contract around what Suzuki and Caufield make but not more money.

Sunfyre

Aug 16, 2023
Slafkovsky will sign 8 years but don't think it will be this summer. His agent won't allow it.

If it is next summer, unless he becomes our most productive forward, he will sign a contract around what Suzuki and Caufield make but not more money.
Getting him signed for 8/8 would be a great deal and should be offered ASAP. If he’s starts hot next seasons he’s getting more than Suzuki for sure

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Getting him signed for 8/8 would be a great deal and should be offered ASAP. If he’s starts hot next seasons he’s getting more than Suzuki for sure

I think your sentences are mixed up. You don't offer Slaf more than Suzuki and Caufield unless or until he actually shows he's worth more.

Reactions: Benstheman

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Alright we're done after this because you clearly are a liar. You are in the Slaf thread and were responding to a comment about giving Slaf a ~8 mil contract like Suzuki or Caufield.

"they need to stop handing out big money like this to young players, we'll run out of cap space reall quick",

exactly what i said, word for word. I did not mention Slaf at all.

i don't understand why you're this triggered, specially after i stated my position on gambling with a Slaf contract.

My only concern is that i hope it's not a trend they're trying to implement because it will not work in montreal for every player.

Like Subban we gave him a ton of s*** before his long term deal and he in the last 30 years is the one who deserved that big contract the most... you feel me?

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I think your sentences are mixed up. You don't offer Slaf more than Suzuki and Caufield unless or until he actually shows he's worth more.
I know what you mean but neither Suzuki or CC could’ve had that kind of season at 19. He has the highest upside of the 3. If we can extend him now at 8, I’d probably do it. Could get him at 7.5 out of respect for his elders maybe 😅

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
When Caufield signed he said something along the lines of wanting to be paid less then Suzuki as a sign of respect. I could see Slaf right now would doing the same, however if he explodes next season and say gets 90+ points then I don't think you can count on that.

But honestly if by waiting Slaf ends up being with a cap hit of a few million more not sure anyone should care, getting a player worth paying more then Suzuki is a huge win and paying your stars is never the issue (Even Toronto's issue is that mispend on D, Brodie and Muzzin at 5m each, the near 7m they used to spend on Giordano, etc...).

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Broskie, you're the best poster in this board.
Whoa if this is sincere somehow thanks! I couldn’t agree less though haha.

If it means anything, I never found your love of Mesar that unfounded. I’m definitely iffy on him a bit but the upside is quite high. And not unlike Hutson, his weaknesses are exaggerated. Consistency and decision-making are the 2 big things

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014

He could also blow out his knee or something next year and never top his past season. If he's offered the number you mentioned then it would be hard to refuse. Guaranteed sum > hypothetical higher sum.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Sunfyre

Aug 16, 2023
Suzuki is not going to be the highest earning player on the team forever. If Slaf starts producing close to Suzukis pace he’s not going to get less money because: 1) Nick signed his contract at the dead cap “era” 2) Players salaries are going to grow rapidly with the rising cap 3) First overal pedigree. That’s why 8/8 would be a bargain. Lucas Raymond for example is going to get close to 9 this offseason. If people expect a Boldy type of contract they are going to be disappointed.

Reactions: Leto

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Suzuki is not going to be the highest earning player on the team forever. If Slaf starts producing close to Suzukis pace he’s not going to get less money because: 1) Nick signed his contract at the dead cap “era” 2) Players salaries are going to grow rapidly with the rising cap 3) First overal pedigree. That’s why 8/8 would be a bargain. Lucas Raymond for example is going to get close to 9 this offseason. If people expect a Boldy type of contract they are going to be disappointed.
They got Caufield at around the same price as Suzuki. Despite all the noise that Dubois was making last year around free agency, it never seemed like HuGo were licking their chops at any point to get him and I have a feeling that had a lot to do with the money. I think Hughes has used that Suzuki contract as a way to create an internal cap. I don’t think they’ll go over $8 million on anyone in the near future unless it’s a true star player. It may be smart to lock Slafkovsky now if it’s anyway possible, I think he’s already shown he’s as affective as Caufield.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
How did he do that? :D
Apparently it is illegal, missed call by refs.
I don't know man. Flipping an opposing player's stick is definitely illegal flipping one back to your own guy?

A player who has lost or broken their stick may only receive another stick at their own Players’ Bench or be handed one from a teammate on the ice. They may not receive a stick thrown on the ice from any part of the rink, nor can they receive a stick handed to them from the Penalty Bench.

The flip was so good and close to Suzuki the Ref's deemed it was handed to him.:dunno:
It definitely wasn't "thrown". If Suzuki was a goaltender I wonder if they'd call it because it would be a penalty shot.

Jaaanosik

Nov 9, 2014
I mean IQ isn't measurable if you're a bad talent evaluator I guess.
IQ measurement is something objective and not subjective.
Slaf's or Suzuki's IQ is what it is, it is not dependent on an evaluator.
One evaluator can have a bias, a generally accepted assessment by multiple experts is preferable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad