Player Discussion The Slaf Thread - Parabolic Growth Edition

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I think the Slaf camp will look to sign an extension this summer but i wouldn't be surprised if the Habs chose to wait until next summer. They did it with Cole when his first season consisted of only 10 games + POs. I think the habs will want to see some consistency in Slaf and if he can at least replicate this season.

The $ isn't the issue because with Suzuki being almost a PPG this season it will be hard for Slaf to ask for more than that. That is unless he completely blows his lid off next season and posts a 90+ point season.

they need to stop handing out big money like this to young players, we'll run out of cap space reall quick

Zorro

Aug 5, 2011
they need to stop handing out big money like this to young players, we'll run out of cap space reall quick

It needs to be a calculated risk. If we consider the player to be a cornerstone of the franchise and is trending as such then i have no issues handing out a big contract. I rather the team pay for his current/future accomplishments then past ones.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Among guys between 7-8M AAV, Suzuki 6th in production. Caufield is 15th. 37 total players are in that range, 14 of them are 30+ years old.
On the other hand, among players below 7,9M AAV, Suzuki is 11th and Caufield is 41st. I would feel much better if Caufield was @ 6,5M like Brandon Hagel :)

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
What? Hoping they're saving $10 mil for a superstar like Mesar? Locking in all three of your 1st line, Caufield might end up on the 2nd in the future, for under $8 mil each is a recipe for a Cup and seems an astounding thing to complain about.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
It would make sense for him to get a similar long term deal to what Suzuki and Caufield got, if I'm his agent that's definitely what I open with. 7.8-ish for 8-ish years , which could turn into a bargain when all is said and done.

Jaaanosik

Nov 9, 2014
I think the Slaf camp will look to sign an extension this summer but i wouldn't be surprised if the Habs chose to wait until next summer. They did it with Cole when his first season consisted of only 10 games + POs. I think the habs will want to see some consistency in Slaf and if he can at least replicate this season.

The $ isn't the issue because with Suzuki being almost a PPG this season it will be hard for Slaf to ask for more than that. That is unless he completely blows his lid off next season and posts a 90+ point season.
Slaf is smart, he will ask for Suzuki's range of money plus inflation and carbon tax. :D

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
My god in which reality some of the posters are living? Caufield did 28 goals and 65 points and was 22 when the season started. Mostly only the top teams have player like that on their 2nd line. That contract was always signed as it's going to be too much in the first half of it and will be just fine in the 2nd half and might be team friendly if he develops well.

Caufield is not a finsihed product yet he was just 22 for the first half of this season. I don't think he ever will be the 50 goals scorer some posters were expecting but 50 goals scorer are not paid 7.75 millions a year they are paid upward of 10 millions. Anyone thinking 7.75 millions will be too much for a 30 goals and 70 points guy in 4 years (when we'll be ready) are living in la la land.

If we can secure all of Suzuki, Caufield and Slaf for 8 years at under 8 millions it's going to be a great thing. In 4 years the cap should be at least around 95 millions. Having 20% of this tied to 3 guys like that is not a problem at all. You add a 10-12 millions contract to those 3 and you have around 30 millions (30% of the cap) spent on your top 4 which is fine. Toronto next season will be spending close to 50% of their cap on their top 4.

Last edited:

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Young players like this are exactly who we need to be spending our cap space on

you missed the point

What? Hoping they're saving $10 mil for a superstar like Mesar? Locking in all three of your 1st line, Caufield might end up on the 2nd in the future, for under $8 mil each is a recipe for a Cup and seems an astounding thing to complain about.
i did not comoplain, you're extrapolating sir

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Among guys between 7-8M AAV, Suzuki 6th in production. Caufield is 15th. 37 total players are in that range, 14 of them are 30+ years old.
On the other hand, among players below 7,9M AAV, Suzuki is 11th and Caufield is 41st. I would feel much better if Caufield was @ 6,5M like Brandon Hagel :)

When things are going well, its amazing but as soon as they're having some struggle the pressure of montreal starts rising. People also change with time, look at Galchenyuk for example...

You have a limited number of 8 mil contracts you can distribute so you gotta be wise.

Suzuki and Cole, i can understand, they have a resume where they performed well in the SC run we had in 2021 and also did well in the regular seasons, at least they showed they had the potential.

and yeah Slaf is your 1st OA, this is a guy you want to commit to and show him the support. That is a gamble worth taking. You just gotta make sure he's mature enough for that sort of gamble.

Any other player not named Mesar though.... mmm mmm m... gotta be a little bit patient.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
When things are going well, its amazing but as soon as they're having some struggle the pressure of montreal starts rising. People also change with time, look at Galchenyuk for example...

You have a limited number of 8 mil contracts you can distribute so you gotta be wise.

Suzuki and Cole, i can understand, they have a resume where they performed well in the SC run we had in 2021 and also did well in the regular seasons, at least they showed they had the potential.

and yeah Slaf is your 1st OA, this is a guy you want to commit to and show him the support. That is a gamble worth taking. You just gotta make sure he's mature enough for that sort of gamble.

Any other player not named Mesar though.... mmm mmm m... gotta be a little bit patient.
It can be risky to hand out big contracts to your top guys because of who you project them to be instead of who they actually are but I think that risk is pretty low in Slaf's case. Like you said, maturity matters and maturity is the thing Hughes and company rave about with regards to Slaf and how he lived alone at 14 to chase his dream.

To your point about having a limited number of those contracts, sure but at the same time it's exactly why you kind of want Slaf locked up to a long term deal at something just under 8. Now I don't have a problem letting Slaf play out next year and then negotiating a long term deal but I'm not at all worried that if we sign him to Caufield's contract today that he wouldn't be worth it. The simple truth is that 8m is not what it used to be, even 60 point guys like PLD can get it pretty easily.

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
To your point about having a limited number of those contracts, sure but at the same time it's exactly why you kind of want Slaf locked up to a long term deal at something just under 8. Now I don't have a problem letting Slaf play out next year and then negotiating a long term deal but I'm not at all worried that if we sign him to Caufield's contract today that he wouldn't be worth it. The simple truth is that 8m is not what it used to be, even 60 point guys like PLD can get it pretty easily.

Indeed. The cap should rise to 92m by 2025-2026. By then, 9.4% of the cap (like Suzuki & Caufield's contracts) should be equivalent to ~8.65m. Suzuki and Caufield's contracts should age really well (notwithstanding any major injuries or an unexpected decline in performance).​

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016

Actually on a normal NHL team of 21 players, (12 forwards 6 defense 2 goalies and one extra) you could easily have 5-6 player at ~8 Mil. that would only be 40-48 Mil and leave your team with at worst ~34 Mil to fill out the other the 15 slots. That doesn't even account for the eventual cap increase. You're complaint is utterly unfounded and silly.

Instead, why don't you regal us with tales of how you knew Mesar would be a star even before he'd played his first game in his first utterly disappointing season in the OHL. Then continue to try to lecture people about premature opinions on a player who's got over a 100 games in the NHL and a 50 points 82 games season.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Instead, why don't you regal us with tales of how you knew Mesar would be a star even before he'd played his first game in his first utterly disappointing season in the OHL.
Would be or will be? I think Mesar will become one of the best playmakers in the NHL, easely. I watched his footage.

Then continue to try to lecture people about premature opinions on a player who's got over a 100 games in the NHL and a 50 points 82 games season.

Da? i barely have said anything about Slaf all year long. The 8 mil comment was targeted at the club not at Slaf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad