Player Discussion The Slaf Thread - Parabolic Growth Edition

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
i'm pretty f***ing tired of suffering through wasted 1st picks and being told that i'm just not patient enough with dogshit players playing like dogshit, i.e: KK

What you are tired of is on you.

After the all-star break it became a completely different story, the guy did a full 180 and i'm glad he did and i'm on board now, but i'm never gonna buy this revisionist "he showed all the signs" bs

It's not revisionsit to say he showed the signs, nor is it "bs". He did not "do a full 180" !! Many of us who have experience developing athletes, (including his NHL coaches for Chrissake!!!) said he was playing well. Both the coach and the captain said Slaf was ready for first line duties in November.

I'm shaking my head at your insistence that you saw things right and they saw things wrong, when they were obviously right.

Your previous suffering does not give you a pass to be so condescending, especially since many of us who could see the development happening also suffered in the past. You have no unique insight due to the suffering.

Let's just be happy and support our team when there is reason to.

Last edited:

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
I couldn't even visit the thread. It was so toxic. Grown men who turned on our 1st overall pick in his 18 year old season and who obsessed on ridiculing and dumping on the kid every day.

It was f***ing creepy and disturbing. They can all go pound sand.

I'm so happy for Slaf and our hockey ops group. He's going to be an unreal force in 2-3 years.
Most of the same people are the ones that whine constantly in the tank thread. Same cast of characters for the most part. I'm talking about the hardcore ones in there.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
1713371787685.png

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
What you are tired of is on you.

It's not revisionsit to say he showed the signs, nor is it "bs". He did not "do a full 180" !! Many of us who have experience developing athletes, (including his NHL coaches for Chrissake!!!) said he was playing well. Both the coach and the captain said Slaf was ready for first line duties in November.

I'm shaking my head at your insistence that you saw things right and they saw things wrong, when they were obviously right.

Your previous suffering does not give you a pass to be so condescending, especially since many of us who could see the development happening also suffered in the past. You have no unique insight due to the suffering.

Let's just be happy and support our team when there is reason to.

no thanks i'll keep criticizing players when they're bad and be happy for them when they're good, which I still feel is more fair than pretending everyone is showing good signs, and when those "good signs" never turn out to be right just blame the coach, the development, laval, etc.
The few times it does pan out you guys can keep pretending it was always great and YOU could see it with your special x-ray vision lmao, hindsight 20/20

Who's calling who condescending, why are you on HFBoards arguing about players if you're an expert in athlete development shouldn't that be above you my lord, should I kneel to you

• Haha
Reactions: nicehiss

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
Most of the same people are the ones that whine constantly in the tank thread. Same cast of characters for the most part. I'm talking about the hardcore ones in there.

I admittedly have done my fair share of whiney about winning games we should be losing in that thread.. mostly out of frustration... but I try to be somewhat level headed in doing so... I try to at least.. don't always win that battle lol

• Haha
Reactions: Miller Time

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
no thanks i'll keep criticizing players when they're bad and be happy for them when they're good, which I still feel is more fair than pretending everyone is showing good signs, and when those "good signs" never turn out to be right just blame the coach, the development, laval, etc.
The few times it does pan out you guys can keep pretending it was always great and YOU could see it with your special x-ray vision lmao, hindsight 20/20

Who's calling who condescending, why are you on HFBoards arguing about players if you're an expert in athlete development shouldn't that be above you my lord, should I kneel to you
You might want to look into the definition of “criticism”.

Or you can keep trolling, I generally find you hilarious.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl

Stop playin' with me man lol

This isn't critiquing a player's game...please don't try to re-write history that's already been written.

i'm glad you brought up posts literally pointing at atrocious stats for me while trying to dodge the main point i'm making about you, could you do the same finding the ones also pointing at his horrible advanced stats from that time so that I can be even more right?

• Haha

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
i'm glad you brought up posts literally pointing at atrocious stats for me while trying to dodge the main point i'm making about you, could you do the same finding the ones also pointing at his horrible advanced stats from that time so that I can be even more right?
You haven't made a single valid point about me because I can and have produced posts where I've been critical of Slafkovsky.

Meanwhile, there's a legacy of posts where you're literally taking joy out of trolling a player they picked 1st overall, because he's not meeting YOUR expectations.

That’s not being critical.

But now you want to play victim?

This ain't it man…you created the very environment you're now complaining about.

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Please don't kneel to me. I'm wrong too sometimes.

I was too high on Poehling, and maybe was too low on Hutson after seeing him more closely this week.

Reactions: 417

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
I admittedly have done my fair share of whiney about winning games we should be losing in that thread.. mostly out of frustration... but I try to be somewhat level headed in doing so... I try to at least.. don't always win that battle lol
There's a big difference from being critical or wishing for a loss, than the toxic behavior in these threads. I mean, I've constantly seen people hate on players and calling them names, like Monty just because he's winning games and doing his job, or Slaf last year. Even Monahan was called a POS lately because he scored. It's embarrassing really.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl

I was too high on Poehling, and maybe was too low on Hutson after seeing him more closely this week.

As usual I had doubts about Hutson being overhyped because this fanbase has a long history of doing that with just about every player we draft, but those 2 games eye test can already tell me this guy has something special! I'm not as blind as some of you like to pretend. Hutson is *showing* things plain as day that are clearly impressive and undeniable right out the gate (keeping in mind the very small sample size tho). Even if Hutson hadn't had points those 2 games and finished at -14 it wouldn't have mattered, it's evident, it's clear, he has something going for him... Which is very different from what Slaf was showing at the beginning of the year both on the eye test and every metric available backed that up. That's why I strongly disagree with the revisionist history that he was always good and I absolutely deny this idea that i'm just a hater, I know where I stand

• Wow

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

It's never about being right or wrong, it's about providing fair analysis...most on here do, others take a different approach.

But when that different approach rears its ugly head, you have to face the music and not play the victim.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
It's never about being right or wrong, it's about providing fair analysis...most on here do, others take a different approach.

But when that different approach rears its ugly head, you have to face the music and not play the victim.

The kid proved me wrong i'll wear a shirt that says it if it pleases you, i've been wrong many times before on subjective matters! Shifting facts when it's demonstrably wrong is the only annoyance here. There's no victim here, just shifting goalposts and that weird movie script you make up in your mind about other posters

next thing you're gonna tell me The Next Generation was always good when that's demonstrably wrong!!

• Wow

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The kid proved me wrong i'll wear a shirt that says it if it pleases you, i've been wrong many times before on subjective matters! Shifting facts when it's demonstrably wrong is the only annoyance here. There's no victim here, just shifting goalposts and that weird movie script you make up in your mind about other posters
This is ironic considering you made a post about ME, which was entirely false.

Here, i'll jog your memory, you seemed to have forgotten your posts from about 1hr ago

Again, stop poking people and then playing the victim when they react. You thought cause you didn't @ me I wouldn't notice? lol. You talk about weird movie scripts minutes after making one up about me. I don't have to fabricate anything when it comes to my interactions with certain posts in this discussion about Slafkovsky, trust me, if I wanted to, I could pull out receipts all day. I'm not really interest in that...

But better to stick to your funny guy routine, i'm the wrong one lol

Jaaanosik

Nov 9, 2014
Just being faster and bigger while working on his shot. He's already an A grade passer, his defensive game is good too. He'll never be Suzuki IQ wise but Suzuki wishes he had the physical package Slaf has. Maxing those stats is very important, over bridging the IQ gap.
Unsubstantiated bad take!

Reactions: Guy Larose

wilfpaiement

Apr 8, 2024

Dude, any way you slice it, you were wrong - very wrong, and you really should apologize for spreading discord and disharmony.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Slafkovsky's results and overall on-ice play early on were not "good" but they were not atrociously bad either. Even at the worst parts of last season he was still at minimum a decent if mediocre 3rd line/bottom six guy and there were obvious flashes of the upside with his tools. It's fine if that was disappointing to people and I get why people would be lower on his upside and/or would have preferred the AHL but the level of fervent concern about his future was always very odd to me.

I just don't think it's revisionist to say there were signs of positive development. It's not that I think he was always playing like this and just wasn't getting the bounces until December 2023 or something like that. It's that even last year with all the obvious limitations, the bad hits he took, the lost puppy moments, and the technical issues that needed to be fixed, he still was only 6 or 7 points behind Jack Hughes' rookie season on an 82 game pace while showing flashes of his upside as a 6'3 230 skill player going through an adjustment period (alongside the conditioning side of things).

He didn't look "good" last year but he looked like an 18 year old that was surviving in the NHL and had a pretty obvious path to being good.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Slafkovsky's results and overall on-ice play early on were not "good" but they were not atrociously bad either. Even at the worst parts of last season he was still at minimum a decent if mediocre 3rd line/bottom six guy and there were obvious flashes of the upside with his tools. It's fine if that was disappointing to people and I get why people would be lower on his upside and/or would have preferred the AHL but the level of fervent concern about his future was always very odd to me.

I just don't think it's revisionist to say there were signs of positive development. It's not that I think he was always playing like this and just wasn't getting the bounces until December 2023 or something like that. It's that even last year with all the obvious limitations, the bad hits he took, the lost puppy moments, and the technical issues that needed to be fixed, he still was only 6 or 7 points behind Jack Hughes' rookie season on an 82 game pace while showing flashes of his upside as a 6'3 230 skill player going through an adjustment period (alongside the conditioning side of things).

He didn't look "good" last year but he looked like an 18 year old that was surviving in the NHL and had a pretty obvious path to being good.
Slafkovsky himself, today during the season ending pressers, said that the challenges he faced early on helped him become the player he is today and Hughes even added that he expects him to have even more challenges in the future but that it's part of the process.

This isn't a new revelation if you've been following this thread.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
As usual I had doubts about Hutson being overhyped because this fanbase has a long history of doing that with just about every player we draft, but those 2 games eye test can already tell me this guy has something special! I'm not as blind as some of you like to pretend. Hutson is *showing* things plain as day that are clearly impressive and undeniable right out the gate (keeping in mind the very small sample size tho). Even if Hutson hadn't had points those 2 games and finished at -14 it wouldn't have mattered, it's evident, it's clear, he has something going for him... Which is very different from what Slaf was showing at the beginning of the year both on the eye test and every metric available backed that up. That's why I strongly disagree with the revisionist history that he was always good and I absolutely deny this idea that i'm just a hater, I know where I stand
Hutson is almost two years older than Slaf was when he started in North America, and Hutson does not have to deal with a change in ice surface dimension to boot.

Each player is different. I have no issue saying Hutson showed good skills in the two games. He also showed speed limitations versus all the other D-men we have not named Savard, and a few times we saw the impact his slight frame might have when muscle is needed.

In the long run, I believe Slaf is likely to be more dominant at his position than Hutson at his, but my assessment might change with time and more observation.

I'm happy to have both of these kids from the 2022 draft.

Jul 6, 2016
Hutson is almost two years older than Slaf was when he started in North America, and Hutson does not have to deal with a change in ice surface dimension to boot.

Each player is different. I have no issue saying Hutson showed good skills in the two games. He also showed speed limitations versus all the other D-men we have not named Savard, and a few times we saw the impact his slight frame might have when muscle is needed.

In the long run, I believe Slaf is likely to be more dominant at his position than Hutson at his, but my assessment might change with time and more observation.

I'm happy to have both of these kids from the 2022 draft.
You're right. I cannot beleive that some posters here and fans are starting to compare and cheer for one of our bright young prospect vs another. habs are darn lucky to have all these talents coming up. The Habs of the 1950's and 1970's were more than glad to have all their star players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad