Player Discussion The Slaf Thread - Parabolic Growth Edition

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
Isn't he on the record for suggesting to trade Suzuki vs Simmonds 2-3 years ago?

Imagine instead of having Suzuki and Slafkovsky, we had to suffer through Simmonds and Dubois. Yikes!!!!

Surprised he remains a regular on AC’s panel as well as being a guest on some of their other shows. I believe BPM did not want him back but can’t remember precisely how he parted ways.
RDS knows he sucks, BPM knows he sucks they still invite him because his absurd takes generate views, hearings and clicks
that's the society we live in, glorify the ridiculous

Jaaanosik

Nov 9, 2014
I’d be happy with physical play and 30/50. Let’s go crazy here.

Yeah parabolic is the wrong term. A parabola is a conic section. Not the description of a a rate of change.
I am with you, we should switch to space-time diagrams, hyperbolic curve representing Slaf's development acceleration having the light speed as asymptote. :)

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
RDS knows he sucks, BPM knows he sucks they still invite him because his absurd takes generate views, hearings and clicks
that's the society we live in, glorify the ridiculous

Although I fully agree with your last take......I always said that Montreal sports media are just stuck in neutral. Same ones talking about sports 20 years ago are still there 20 years later.

It's like the job you can't never lose.

This is the first promo picture of Antichambre back in 2008....16 years later, every single one of them are still on the air babbling the same cliché.

1712792764756.png

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Fine. The only problem with that is that there are so many moderators you will never find the moderator you are looking for.
Check the section you’re posting in. It will list the mods for that section and you can ping them.

Alternatively, you can ping a global mod (purple) or you can always ask a local here.

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
I didn't figure he had 40-odd points in him this year. Last summer I said I expect 30pts and would be genuinely satisfied with his growth if he picks up 35 along the way. He's at 48. I'm genuinely ecstatic for him and for us as Habs fans but I'm not posting because I haven't been watching as much hockey since the new year and there's no point to post, there is no argument other than How Much Should We Beat Up on ReHabs?. Which is fine enough, but plenty of the dorks here get on with that game without me being around as much.

I don't know his ceiling and I don't know how much of his game is sustainable and independently productive (can he generate points through his own actions or is he best as a complimentary piece exploiting the plays made by others? I don't know). But I really don't know and won't comment or speculate. I got him all wrong.

Bro, if more people in the world were willing to learn from their mistakes and have an honest reassessment of their views in the light of new information and a flawed approach the world would be a better place.

Nobody is right all the time, and yet people refuse to accept that could be true for themselves all day every day. I really respect your willingness to reconcile your previous hypothesis with the latest information and results, that is admirable and something I hope would be universally admired.

Most people would never do that, and we have tons of them here on these boards. They simply bend their own previous narratives to make it seem like they were always on board with the eventual obvious outcome.

Initially I was on a similar wavelength as you. I had thought how on Earth could a 1OA be caught with his head down looking at the puck even once, let alone multiple times. I thought he was a dummy. I was simply more open minded when I saw the flashes of brilliance he showed late last year and early this year and continuously since then.

That's all we can hope to be, open minded and willing to change our minds in the light of new information and new approaches. Hardly anybody will be right upon first viewing, that's simply ego posturing as knowledge. We can only continue to be life-long learners and try to not become close minded as best as possible. Good on you to be the best example of that I've seen on any internet board in a long time.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Initially I was on a similar wavelength as you. I had thought how on Earth could a 1OA be caught with his head down looking at the puck even once, let alone multiple times. I thought he was a dummy. I was simply more open minded when I saw the flashes of brilliance he showed late last year and early this year and continuously since then.
I think the difference between a jaded, pessimistic fan and an open-minded one is the humility needed to accept a simple fact: you simply don’t know how it’ll turn out, so you might as well not spew the downsides as if it were inevitable.

I think this was the most informative thing to my understanding of fan commentary. I can see why people would think the critics and doubters were rooting against Slafkovsky when (in the eyes of us critics and doubters) we were just “being real” in as far as we could see it. I think, mods permitting, it is a decent topic to discuss -- was it just our (negative, pessimistic) priors making us jaded? But Slaf was a very low productive 1OA. And he was underwhelming big time in his first 39+20gp, and he was taking big hits and not making big plays. But today... to me, he looks like a completely different player right now. He skates around like he has a spotlight on him, like he's a genuine star. He uses his reach and his speed to devastating effect. He's making show-off passes and showing off incredible nimble puck technique. Did he have this all along? I'm sure he did (because why else would he be so heralded by a large part of the NHL professional community and the Habs org?) but I refused to see it or I couldn't see it.

The fact is, other than being argumentative and bullheaded, my analysis was also super wrong. I have to look into what I got wrong and how I got it wrong and become better at watching/following hockey or simply not comment as much on things. Otherwise, the safer and better bet is to be positive, optimistic, and fair to the other commentators. A genuine learning experience on my side.

Last edited:

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I think the difference between a jaded, pessimistic fan and an open-minded one is the humility needed to accept a simple fact: you simply don’t know how it’ll turn out, so you might as well not spew the downsides as if it were inevitable.

I think this was the most informative thing to my understanding of fan commentary. I can see why people would think the critics and doubters were rooting against Slafkovsky when (in the eyes of us critics and doubters) we were just “being real” in as far as we could see it. I think, mods permitting, it is a decent topic to discuss -- was it just our (negative, pessimistic) priors making us jaded? But Slaf was a very low productive 1OA. And he was underwhelming big time in his first 39+20gp, and he was taking big hits and not making big plays. But today... to me, he looks like a completely different player right now. He skates around like he has a spotlight on him, like he's a genuine star. He uses his reach and his speed to devastating effect. He's making show-off passes and showing off incredible nimble puck technique. Did he have this all along? I'm sure he did (because why else would he be so heralded by a large part of the NHL professional community and the Habs org?) but I refused to see it or I couldn't see it.

The fact is, other than being argumentative and bullheaded, my analysis was also super wrong. I have to look into what I got wrong and how I got it wrong and become better at watching/following hockey or simply not comment as much on things. Otherwise, the safer and better bet is to be positive, optimistic, and fair to the other commentators. A genuine learning experience on my side.
Hey, good on you, know we squabbled on this one but it takes humility for someone to admit this. Hope you stick around again

Reactions: BaseballCoach

Jaaanosik

Nov 9, 2014

The analysis can be good if the units of measure are well established.
An example, to say Slaf's club point production prior to the draft is indicative of something and ignoring his production at the Olympics and the World Championship prior to the draft creates huge bias to an outlier.
Also, the point production is only one part of multi-factor analysis, it is not the only factor.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
The analysis can be good if the units of measure are well established.
An example, to say Slaf's club point production prior to the draft is indicative of something and ignoring his production at the Olympics and the World Championship prior to the draft creates huge bias to an outlier.
Also, the point production is only one part of multi-factor analysis, it is not the only factor.
Naturally correct. I generally ignored tournament games across the board because of how many exceptions and outliers were borne from them. It seemed too noisy. That has to definitely change.

Reactions: Jaaanosik

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I wonder if they will start playing him on the pk next season. He has the attributes to be a strong pker
Need a goal.
Slaf and Suzy on the PK instead of Suzuki and RHP makes sense.
I've said it more than once we are out of our minds if we stay locked into the Caufield Suzuki pairing 4v4 and 3v3.
The Chemistry they can build with Slaf Suzuki can easily translate into an aggressive PK when needed as well.
It's going to be super interesting what they do once Dach gets inserted into the equation.

Reactions: Runner77

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Isn't he on the record for suggesting to trade Suzuki vs Simmonds 2-3 years ago?

Imagine instead of having Suzuki and Slafkovsky, we had to suffer through Simmonds and Dubois. Yikes!!!!
This knee jerk reaction also gave us DruDru v Sergachev, gomez v mcdonough, even further Roy keane v kovalchenko rucinski thibeault.

Its always in a position of weakness, trying to fit a round peg into a square hole.

This is why you want "actual" professional business men running your multi million $ operation, not ex players with high school education.. sure they may know "what" to do, but they dont understand "how" to do it equitably.

PK Soupcan

Apr 3, 2013
I like the fact that he has 28 shots on goal in the last 6 games. That is more than 4.5 per game. If he can do that consistently, he will score a lot of goals.

This is one of the things that makes me wonder just how many goals this kid is going to score. Imagine when our powerplay is actually decent? Can't wait to see what he looks like after a full NHL-level offseason.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This is one of the things that makes me wonder just how many goals this kid is going to score. Imagine when our powerplay is actually decent? Can't wait to see what he looks like after a full NHL-level offseason.
Love that user name. :laugh:

Reactions: cphabs

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This is the first promo picture of Antichambre back in 2008....16 years later, every single one of them are still on the air babbling the same cliché.

View attachment 849514
Man, that’s quite the clown show assortment.

The Red Barron is only surpassed by the likes of Norman Flynn in the art of clownitude.

Most evocative Bergeron story was during Covid when he continued to broadcast from his home and one of his family members audibly flushed the toilet while he was on air.

Not to be outdone by his good buddy Dave Morissette, who forgot he was on air once cameras returned from a commercial break, and he could be heard performing these extra-lengthy, loud, champ belches.

TVA is a pigsty in more ways than one.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
The thing that impresses me the most about him is his playmaking and how good his hands are, you can see this the most on the PP. He ends up making passes that you don't expect, he doesn't always make the obvious/easy pass, he'll make a small move to open up space and make an unexpected pass, not used to seeing a big guy with those type of tools :laugh:

Combine that with his work ethic/forechecking and you have a really special player. MTL has had good puck hounds in the past (Gally/Lehkonen etc) but no one with Slaf's unique package, it's refreshing to finally have a different mold of player to cheer for/watch grow.

Last edited:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I hope next year, MSL won’t put Slaf with Dach. Suzuki and Slaf have to remain the duo while Caufield can go with Dach on second line.

Suzuki-Slaf > Suzuki-Caufield
I agree that Suzuki/Slaf complement each other better than Suzuki/Caufield, i also really like Dach/Newhook as the other duo. If MTL drafts a small'ish/talented player (Demidov/Catton) then I would seriously consider moving Caufield for a player we really need. I would add to Caufield to get someone like B. Tkatchuk for example (yes I know this is a long shot but I'd still ask), that type of player would really solidify the roster. There's gonna be a lot of important decisions coming up for management in the next 1-2 years.

Reactions: Pomee

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
From the article:

“He’s a young player, but he’s very mature and the most important thing is he has the respect of every single guy in that locker room and he’s the heartbeat of our team,” Gallagher said at the time.

From the guy who used to be the heartbeat of the team.
Slafkovsky has an infectious aura. He seems to understand the importance of honing his craft as well.

Perfect attitude for this market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad