OT: The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It is a tough dad day.

My younger son's JV football practice was ended early. One of his teammates put his head down to make a tackle and sustained a neck injury.

My son isn't worried because he plays DL/OL....

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
First day of classes for me today. I audited an economics class and am shifting into it. In the meantime I will be dropping something until next summer. I get to walk in May, even if I am finishing out in the summer.

Reactions: brian_griffin

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
It is a tough dad day.

My younger son's JV football practice was ended early. One of his teammates put his head down to make a tackle and sustained a neck injury.

My son isn't worried because he plays DL/OL....
My son played hockey and my wife was not happy. When he went out for hight school football and made the team as a DE/LB she was was totally p...ed. He played one year and decided other sports were more for him. As a dad it is so tough to want to support the kid's dreams and control your fears about injury.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
My son played hockey and my wife was not happy. When he went out for hight school football and made the team as a DE/LB she was was totally p...ed. He played one year and decided other sports were more for him. As a dad it is so tough to want to support the kid's dreams and control your fears about injury.

It usually isn't too bad, especially since he plays on the line.

I just hope the kid is OK.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
First few days of the new job have gone very well.

Especially since the line is not nearly as hot, I'm not sweating my butt off. Plus the days go by much quicker because of being higher volume than the location I was in.

I've almost got the ingredients to make each menu item down. Which isn't bad considering it has been only 3 days and the menu is at least 4X the size.

Reactions: BackGroundMusic

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
And I get to take my son to a sports medicine doc this morning to see to what extent he injured his right arm during his football scrimmage on Monday.

Urgent care felt that he had a small buckle fracture due to putting his arm out to break his fall.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Rumor is layoffs on Thursday...
Psychologically and organizationally, they say Tuesday is best for all concerned (leadership/management/HR, the affected employees, and the survivors).

OTOH, the irony of opportunity for layoffs on the cusp of Labor Day likely trumps that.

Good luck Jim Bob!

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Psychologically and organizationally, they say Tuesday is best for all concerned (leadership/management/HR, the affected employees, and the survivors).

OTOH, the irony of opportunity for layoffs on the cusp of Labor Day likely trumps that.

Good luck Jim Bob!

They usually do it on Tuesday. But, we are open under new management....

Rumor mill points to either my group being safe or my boss's boss's boss being a goner.....

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
One of the most restless nights I had recently was before a layoff at my current company. I was 90% sure i was safe, but that 10% wasn't good. It's not fun. Plus, seeing friends get let go isn't fun either.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

The new CEO is shaking things up. But, I would be shocked if our group is hit hard, if at all.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
There was a very interesting email that hit my inbox right before I left for the day yesterday.

Another local company is holding a job fair from 4-7pm today right around the corner from my current company's complex.

Guess where I am stopping on my way home today?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
There was a very interesting email that hit my inbox right before I left for the day yesterday.

Another local company is holding a job fair from 4-7pm today right around the corner from my current company's complex.

Could be your employer has "plants" there, observing who shows up, so they have an easier head start on the next set of lifeboat lists. Looking for people who don't want to struggle it out under the new regime. Make it loud and clear you're "looking for a friend" and only stopped in because it's convenient for you to go, vs. them.

Could also be one of those trick sneaky Sheriff / LE things where they try to nab people with outstanding warrants under other pre-texts / offers. Be wary of a single entrance with people nonchalantly milling outside. They are there to nab the "runners". Once inside, refuse to talk or provide your name until you know it's legit, JB.

The-X-Files-Trust-No-One.png

Reactions: BackGroundMusic

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Honestly, I doubt my current employer is that well thought out.

And the company that is having the event has boatloads of open job postings locally on their website.

I checked on my phone using data and not work's WiFi.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

By all means check it out, I've just never seen a job fair offering much more than entry level positions. The ones I have seen usually are tied to a certain project or expansion they are doing. But, I think I've been to 2 in my lifetime, so limited experience.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
By all means check it out, I've just never seen a job fair offering much more than entry level positions. The ones I have seen usually are tied to a certain project or expansion they are doing. But, I think I've been to 2 in my lifetime, so limited experience.

The email I received talked about specific positions that aren't entry level.

And there are a ton of job openings in those areas on their website.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
On a personal note.. Been struggling with depression these days. I meet my doctor today at 1 to get something for it. It sucks, i cant even get out of bed in the morning most days. Don't want to work. Not excited for my courses, and feel like a burden on to others around me.

On the bright side, I have had a better relationship with my family. And they got a new puppy, so my mom has been sending me pictures non stop

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
On a personal note.. Been struggling with depression these days. I meet my doctor today at 1 to get something for it. It sucks, i cant even get out of bed in the morning most days. Don't want to work. Not excited for my courses, and feel like a burden on to others around me.

On the bright side, I have had a better relationship with my family. And they got a new puppy, so my mom has been sending me pictures non stop

I won't speak for everyone here, but I will say that I'd imagine 99% of us not only appreciate your presence on the site and your work as a moderator, but would be there for you if you ever need to talk/vent/rant/etc.

Reactions: Graves

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Been there. Make sure your doc tests for things like vitamin d deficiency and thyroid function. Best of luck.

Reactions: Graves

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006

Not easy for you--even when you know that you are not alone. Having friends and family who love you and will help you through it is a big deal. I have seen a lot of it in college aged folks -in my family and with friends-and it was tough for them and yet they survived with the help that was there. Stick with it==there is a better time coming.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
So apparently my old company is having a General Manager exodus and I was just the first to leave. In the 13 days since my last day there has been two, that I know of, and possibly a third, General Manager who have turned in their notice. Can't say I'm surprised and wouldn't be totally shocked if they lose a few more on the coming weeks/couple of months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad