The Silver Lining

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
You don't understand - we need results NOW... MUST START THE SEASON 10 - 0 OR ELSE GUT THE ****ING ROSTER

Do wins count for less in October then March/April? In order to make the playoffs you need to be consistent throughout the entire year, you cant pick and choose.

WhiteLight*

Jennifer Lawrence is hot and Bradley Cooper is funny

That's all I got for positives

Iconoclast

Lifestyle on camera
May 2, 2013
Toronto
Jennifer Lawrence is hot and Bradley Cooper is funny

That's all I got for positives

tip-hat.gif

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Karlsson is the most inconsistent player on this team by far. Did you see his backchecking last night? Those constant giveaways in front of his own net for goals against? He's cost us the most games, single-handedly, than any other player over the last 3 years.

Not really... by the way, this is the silver lining thread so post something better or GTFO.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Karlsson is the most inconsistent player on this team by far. Did you see his backchecking last night? Those constant giveaways in front of his own net for goals against? He's cost us the most games, single-handedly, than any other player over the last 3 years.

Lmfaooooooooooo. Karlsson showed up against San Jose and was best player on ice. Spezza was no where to be seen.

Karlsson, even when he is helping out the other team, is still a bigger impact player on this team.

No Karlsson= SJ shutout last game.

That last statement is an absolute joke. For every goal he is responsible against, he is responsible for 3-4 goals for.

Karlsson was on the ice for more goals FOR than any player in the NHL 2 years ago(Even though he wasn't at his best like last year) also ahead of Malkin who had 30 more points than him.

Karlsson on ice = better chance to win the game.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Lmfaooooooooooo. Karlsson showed up against San Jose and was best player on ice. Spezza was no where to be seen.

Karlsson, even when he is helping out the other team, is still a bigger impact player on this team.

No Karlsson= SJ shutout last game.

That last statement is an absolute joke. For every goal he is responsible against, he is responsible for 3-4 goals for.

Karlsson was on the ice for more goals FOR than any player in the NHL 2 years ago(Even though he wasn't at his best like last year) also ahead of Malkin who had 30 more points than him.

Karlsson on ice = better chance to win the game.

Karlsson has a worse On ice +/- per 60 than Spezza does, and Spezza was the reason we scored the second goal against San Jose. Right now Karlsson is on the ice for 2.53 g/60 for and 3.09 g/60 against. Right now our goals for/60 actually goes up when Karlsson is not on the ice to 3.09.

Two years ago Karlsson's goals for/60 was 3.36 and Spezza's was 3.60. The only reason Karlsson was on for so many goals is because he's a defenceman and plays the most minutes on the team.

But anyway like someone said this is the silver lining thread, and the silver lining is that both Spezza and Karlsson are underperforming right now. Hopefully they can both improve back to their career norms and both go on to have hart like seasons as it was two years ago.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I really don't think we are that far off from being a very good team. It is a big change having Alfie gone as well as having new players trying to fit in, and some key returning players coming back from injuries. I just wish MacLean would be a little more patient with his lines. I thought training camp was about creating chemistry with players. every player on this team has seen multple line mates except the second line (until last game). How can he expect consistency from his players when they have to adjust to different line mates every other shift. Please don't tell me that is wasn't working so he changed it up, does it work once things get changed up ? I'm so sick of everyone dumping all over the players when I think the coaching staff needs to provide the players with some sort of consistency we are already 10 games in. Sorry for my rant !!!:)

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Not really... by the way, this is the silver lining thread so post something better or GTFO.

Was merely responding to a very negative post about our captain and a direct insult to all us 'tools', but sure. I forgot things were only offensive if they were against Karlsson, Alfie or Lehner.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Was merely responding to a very negative post about our captain and a direct insult to all us 'tools', but sure. I forgot things were only offensive if they were against Karlsson, Alfie or Lehner.

So instead of putting the thread back on the rails, you take it further asunder? Our top players and leaders need to be better, but we also have a lot of glistening light shining from this dung heap we've called the start of the season.:amazed:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
So instead of putting the thread back on the rails, you take it further asunder? Our top players and leaders need to be better, but we also have a lot of glistening light shining from this dung heap we've called the start of the season.:amazed:

I agree that's why I mentioned it in my next post that it wasn't appropriate and, as mentioned, we should stick to the positives in here. :)

Positive: Youngest (or one of) team currently playing in the NHL and there's a great core to build around of elite talent. This team will be a playoff and potential SC contender this year when they pull it all together.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Perhaps I'm overrating Karlsson's "fame", but it might be easier to sign future free agents when they know that they're going to get to play with the best and most dynamic offensive defenceman of this generation?:)

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
I think it's safe to say that Ottawa has had one of, if not the toughest schedule to start the season. Even if they lose to Chicago, coming out of this October, with a young team, after losing 2 of their steadiest players (Alfie/Gonchar), with 10 points and not even playing that well - that's actually really positive.

MacLean is still tinkering and the team is still adapting. There's lots to look forward to and the only noticeable problem that may need to be addressed is getting an experienced defenseman.

I'm actually pretty confident that once they get on track...look out for the Ottawa Senators. I truly believe that parity is such a factor in today's NHL that good teams can go on bad runs if the schedule isn't friendly and vice versa. Montreal was a team last year that got on a roll with a sweetheart schedule at critical points and that gave them the confidence to keep rolling when good teams came into play.

November is going to be key and the Sens have a more promising slate of opponents on deck. So here's my prediction for topic discussion one month from now: if they do well in November, media people are going to point to the players only meeting yesterday as the turning point and hail Spezza as a great replacement for Alfie. If they don't do well, the media people are going to bring up the players only meeting yesterday and say that Spezza doesn't have the chops to be a captain because he failed to get this team going. Poor Spezza!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, our schedule has been crap.

That's what makes the winnable games like Edmonton all the more frustrating.

EDIT: Er, in keeping with the thread, he schedule should get easier.

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Perhaps I'm overrating Karlsson's "fame", but it might be easier to sign future free agents when they know that they're going to get to play with the best and most dynamic offensive defenceman of this generation?:)

Very much so.

Karlsson can literally spoon-feed players goals it's funny.

Smith missed empty net tap-in against SJ and so did Ryan from individual efforts by him.

Karlsson has the ability to boost people's point totals *COUGHMICHALEKCOUGH*

Leachman

May 13, 2007
This year is about the kids maturing; pain is a part of that. Let's be realistic.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Having a very difficult schedule at the beginning of the season could be a blessing in disguise for the Senators. November has 14 games & of those games there are at least ten games that are winnable for Ottawa. And this is exactly what they need a good winning month to get over the October blues & get started in the right direction.

Looking at special teams it seems that Ottawa is in 4th place in the NHl for the best PK. That indicates to me that the guys who do most of that are doing a very good job which maybe why PM said that Smith has been his most consistent forward. It's the PP which is not doing as well at 19th overall & that's our best players who can't seem to find the back of the net on the PP. IMO winning more faceoffs, reduce the giveaways & penalties & that should increase puck possession which should translate on more shots on goal which should result in more goals for.

While the top six are doing well five on five they are not doing as well on the PP. And since the Sens are also leading the league in penalties it's the bottom six who are doing well killing them off. All this to say there is lots of blame to go around & it's not one or two guys specifically that are the cause. Looking at the team's stats everyone seems positioned exactly where I would have thought. Karlsson & Wiercioch lead the defencemen in scoring & Spezza, Ryan, Turris & Michalek lead the forwards in scoring in that order. Isn't that where everyone thought these guys would be?

It's Pageau, Da Costa, Conacher & to a lesser extent MacArthur who are not putting up as many pts as expected. Greening, Condra, Neil & Smith play a defensive game & are not expected to score as much but contribute in other ways. Da Costa has already been sent to Bingo & my guess is that Pageau could be next. Although Conacher has not found the score sheet as much as expected he has been in front of the net screening goaltenders on a few goals. However, he is a guy that I believe management expect to score goals & if this drought continues he could be in trouble. I look forward to Novenmber & hopefully Ottawa can get themsleves out of this slump.

Last edited:

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
Having a very difficult schedule at the begginning of the season could be a blessing in disguise for the Senators. November has 14 games & of those games there are at least ten games that are winnable for Ottawa. And this is exactly what they need a good winning month to get over the October blues & get started in the right direction.

Looking at special teams it seems that Ottawa is in 4th place in the NHl for the best PK. That indicates to me that the guys who do most of that are doing a very good job which maybe why PM said that Smith has been his most consistent forward. It's the PP which is not doing as well at 19th overall & that's our best players who can't seem to find the back of the net on the PP. IMO winning more faceoffs, reduce the giveaways & penalties & that should increase puck possession which should translate on more shots on goal which should result in more goals for.

While the top six are doing well five on five they are not doing as well on the PP. And since the Sens are also leading the league in penalties it's the bottom six who are doing well killing them off. All this to say there is lots of blame to go around & it's not one or two guys specifically that are the cause. Looking at the team's stats everyone seems positioned exactly where I would have thought. Karlsson & Wiercioch lead the defencemen in scoring & Spezza, Ryan, Turris & Michalek lead the forwards in scoring in that order. Isn't that where everyone thought these guys would be?

It's Pageau, Da Costa, Conacher & to a lesser extent MacArthur who are not putting up as many pts as expected. Greening, Condra, Neil & Smith play a defensive game & are not expected to score as much but contribute in other ways. Da Costa has already been sent to Bingo & my guess is that Pageau could be next. Although Conacher has not found the score sheet as much as expected he has been in front of the net screening goaltenders on a few goals. However, he is a guy that I believe management expect to score goals & if this drought continues he could be in trouble. I look forward to Novenmber & hopefully Ottawa can get themsleves out of this slump.

Lol. Anyone under 6'0" sucks right?

What a joke. Is it because they are so short that you don't see them playing better than all your beloved big softies?
Conacher can stand in front of the net and take more punishment than Neil can.

Silver lining: With so many people playing poorly and even Paulrus coaching poorly it really can only get better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad