The Silver Lining

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Lol. Anyone under 6'0" sucks right?

What a joke. Is it because they are so short that you don't see them playing better than all your beloved big softies?
Conacher can stand in front of the net and take more punishment than Neil can.

Silver lining: With so many people playing poorly and even Paulrus coaching poorly it really can only get better.

I think Alfredsson was the best player in the history of this franchise, I believe he is under 6'. Karlsson has the potential to surpass him, I believe he is also under 6'. I think I did mention that Conacher stands in front of the net but IMO he isn't big enough, we need our bigger players to do much more to screen the goalies. I also think that our big players don't use their size enough & are too nice, we need them to play with much more of an edge & be much harder to play against.

There is no reason to be upset, you don't agree with me or have a different opinon that's fine. I prefer a bigger team, while Conacher has done well in front of the net he isn't scoring & he is on the team to score. It's my opinion & only an opinion that if he doesn't start scoring soon he could be on the block. I also think that Pageau has not had a very good start to his yr & should be sent to Bingo because he is eligible without being placed on waivers. I completely disagree that PM is coaching poorly, where do you get that? IMO they have started the yr against a lot of teams that are playing very well & they have had a poor start & have not played well. Lots of room for improvement & I think they will improve as will the schedule in Movember.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Postive: I'm really digging the Seattle Sens logo. The green really brings out the tears.

Seriously though. I think we have a great foundation for this teams future in Turris. Give this guy a few more years and he'll be just as good as bergeron or possibly top out at a Towes level(Although i doubt it)

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Postive: I'm really digging the Seattle Sens logo. The green really brings out the tears.

Seriously though. I think we have a great foundation for this teams future in Turris. Give this guy a few more years and he'll be just as good as bergeron or possibly top out at a Towes level(Although i doubt it)

What makes you think they would keep the senators name?

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I think Alfredsson was the best player in the history of this franchise, I believe he is under 6'. Karlsson has the potential to surpass him, I believe he is also under 6'. I think I did mention that Conacher stands in front of the net but IMO he isn't big enough, we need our bigger players to do much more to screen the goalies. I also think that our big players don't use their size enough & are too nice, we need them to play with much more of an edge & be much harder to play against.

There is no reason to be upset, you don't agree with me or have a different opinon that's fine. I prefer a bigger team, while Conacher has done well in front of the net he isn't scoring & he is on the team to score. It's my opinion & only an opinion that if he doesn't start scoring soon he could be on the block. I also think that Pageau has not had a very good start to his yr & should be sent to Bingo because he is eligible without being placed on waivers. I completely disagree that PM is coaching poorly, where do you get that? IMO they have started the yr against a lot of teams that are playing very well & they have had a poor start & have not played well. Lots of room for improvement & I think they will improve as will the schedule in Movember.

Isnt karlsson 6'0- 6'1?

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa

I'm not upset, I'm in disbelief.

Conacher was directly responsible for two goals in the last 2 games because of excellent screening. He is a beast in front of the net, does a great job of tracking the goalie and following him and it's clear when you watch goalies that he not only aggravates him but does a splendid job of obstructing their view. Conacher has yet to play a full season in the NHL why exactly is he on the hotseat? Why are you singling him out and not Zibby. Zibby has much more scoring potential and similar amount of games and yet you have no problem with him? (for the record i have no problem with Zib, just using a comparable)

As for PM it's a little negative for this thread so I wont go into much but basically i think he is making poor decision with Lines, line management and player management. however i doubt he's entirely responsible. Lack of a quality breakout after 10+ games is frightening.

Huston

Sep 23, 2006
London
San Jose 10-1-1
Anaheim 9-3

4 of 5 Ottawa losses haev come against these two teams ... and they don't play them again this year.

For Anaheim, it does not sound as good if Ottawa happened to beat them. They would be 7-5, and currently losing against Philly. So, Ottawa is the reason Anaheim looks so good.

booger

Oct 5, 2009
Oakville
Our remaining games

Here's a bright spot in all this doom and gloom. Just took a look at the remaining 70 games and it appears that October was the toughest part of the schedule. The next rough patch is in February where we play the Leafs, Penguins, Blues, Bruins and Wings (well and the Sabres). Be prepared for the trade threads in that month.

Herping Derps*

team needs to get its "shirt" together and find chemistry.
If they spend november doing that, things will be well.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
We find out in the next month how good we are. And we get an opportunity to play 4 point games vs our division rivals.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
A few silver linings, being evident the last two weeks or so.

Ceci is the real deal, one of the best defencemen on the team since he was called up.

Our top line is great on a nightly basis, the Turris trade must be one of the best in the history of this franchise.

The Zib-line roll and force the opposition to spend their shifts in their defensive zone most shifts. It's just a matter of time until their goals start rolling in. Since getting to play with Zib, but Cony and Michalek have looked great.

Spezza has looked much better since he came back, and he's got some chemistry with Stone. Greening has also looked pretty good lately.

Cowen, if we disregard a couple of brainfarts last night, has looked really good lately aswell.

We need Phillips off the team or playing really sheltered minutes, as in 5 min ev + PK. He's weighing this team down on a nightly basis. Not a silver lining, just a point.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com

Ceci is the real deal, one of the best defencemen on the team since he was called up.

Our top line is great on a nightly basis, the Turris trade must be one of the best in the history of this franchise.

The Zib-line roll and force the opposition to spend their shifts in their defensive zone most shifts. It's just a matter of time until their goals start rolling in. Since getting to play with Zib, but Cony and Michalek have looked great.

Spezza has looked much better since he came back, and he's got some chemistry with Stone. Greening has also looked pretty good lately.

Cowen, if we disregard a couple of brainfarts last night, has looked really good lately aswell.

We need Phillips off the team or playing really sheltered minutes, as in 5 min ev + PK. He's weighing this team down on a nightly basis. Not a silver lining, just a point.

Agree with all of the positive point you listed, not so much about Phillips but it doesn't matter for purposes of this discussion.

I would add that Karlsson looks a lot like the pre-injury Karlsson, except that he is logging very effective PK minutes right now. He is looking like he may become even better (as in well-rounded) than he was in his Norris trophy season.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

Well said, especially Ceci WOW I can't believe the composure this kid has shown, who would of thought a 20 year old rookie would be such a calming influence back there :handclap:

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

I want to add that I think BOTH goalies are rounding back into form and will be a huge part of the team's success going forward.

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
Turris and Macarthur were great and Karlsson too. Spezza is coming back too imo, he made some really good passes last night and wasnt a liability defensively. Ceci and methot are very solid.

On the other hand, Cowen shouldnt be playing first pair and Phillips shouldnt be playing at all, he is the worst dman on this team

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Silver lining? I think it is safe to say that Zibanejad's experiment at wing is over. Sometimes last night, his rushes were awe inspiring. His savviness at getting the puck along the boards.

Does anyone else think that his gait when he skates reminds of a young Jagr? I don't know why but I see Jagr's style a bit in him.

Safe to assume that MacArthur is the UFA signing of the year.

Turris is continuing to develop into something special.

Stone is an NHL player.

Spezza looks more like Spezza. the good stuff.

Karlsson can play Norris calibre defence.

Cowen is back.

Our defence will be a tremendous backbone for this team.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Last night I re-watched a 7 second clip over and over and over again.

It was of Subban collecting the puck behind his own net and bolstering up with that powerful speed he has.

The forward watching him was Zibanejad, when Subban cut to the right and looked like he was gonna go for an end-to-end rush, Zibanejad just went on a different gear to challenge him in the neutral zone and Subban quickly backed away and just dumped it in.

Like watching a Lion put a hyena in his place.

Zibanejad also had 3-4 brilliant rushes while defenders were hanging over him. Gonna be something special, bro.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Last night I re-watched a 7 second clip over and over and over again.

It was of Subban collecting the puck behind his own net and bolstering up with that powerful speed he has.

The forward watching him was Zibanejad, when Subban cut to the right and looked like he was gonna go for an end-to-end rush, Zibanejad just went on a different gear to challenge him in the neutral zone and Subban quickly backed away and just dumped it in.

Like watching a Lion put a hyena in his place.

Zibanejad also had 3-4 brilliant rushes while defenders were hanging over him. Gonna be something special, bro.

Not so long ago I saw Zib as a physical monster with a good shot, who lacked vision, "intelligence" and the technical aspects of the game. This season I have changed my mind, he's setting guys up left and right and playing a really smart game out there. Omn top of that he's getting more and more confident, doing solo rushes, trying behind the back stick-work and toe-drags. He's also doing a great job defensively, stripping players of the puck and preventing zone entries. If he's this good at age 20, imagine him in 5 years.

A two-way monster.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Zibby is clearly a fantastic two way player. Developing him on the third line for now is perfect, and he will easily make the move to the 2nd line when it is time. He is still too young to know for sure if he is our future #1 guy, but it wouldn't surprise me. Doesn't really matter though, because he will make a great contribution either way.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Cody Ceci has been the biggest bright spot of this season IMO.

Comes up when the team is slumping, looking like a lottery team and the defence is completely out of sorts. All of a sudden we're on a winning streak, playing the best hockey we've played all year, and he's been our most consistent defenceman since being called up. Is it coincidence that we started playing that much better when he got a spot on the blueline? Maybe, I like to think it's a little of both sides, but as someone who's been a huge supporter of his since before we drafted him I expect even more moving forward. He's going to be a special player.

His underlying stats are pretty impressive too.

GF% of 61.9 (+14.4 GF rel) He's been on the ice for 16 goals for and 9 goals against in 16 games which is pretty amazing.
CF% of 51.2

His offence will pick up pretty soon he's creating a lot of good chances and making nice pinches without sacrificing anything on the defensive side of the puck.

Really impressed with his body of work so far. Another gem at 15.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad