the Shootout Ordeal

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I think it would be kinda neat if a team could decide to forfeit the loser point before the shootout. Maybe the home team can decide if they want a loser point awarded or not before the shootout? or any team in general. I'd assume everyone early would always say yea definitely keep the loser point, but once it gets down to the nitty gritty where every point matters, you can really control your opponents fate.

It would never happen I know, but man could this create drama, imagine if a team outside of the playoffs decided they wanted to forfeit the loser point in a game vs a team still fighting for a PO spot?

dougieg93

Pray for Parayko
Jun 17, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Better to have a higher ROW then to build for the shootout. Ultimately I think the loser point should only be awarded in a shootout, so its winner take all in OT.

Blair

Oct 15, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Kind of funny that here of all places there are still a bunch of people that didn't know what happens when you pull the goalie on OT and lose.

Scrap the shootout and add more 4 on 4 hockey. Maybe even 3 on 3. Of course, I'd like to see something done about 3 pt games while we're at it.

TMLOBI

Jul 22, 2010
Toronto
So theoretically, we can get a situation where one team is going to miss the playoffs if they don't get the two points and instead of going for a shootout
(at which they stink), they may pull the goalie in overtime knowing that only two points matter.

Far fetched? sure but if it was down to the last game of the season against montreal and we needed two points and it got to overtime, i would almost be tempted to pull Reimer and just try and win 5 on 4 in Overtime instead of trying to get to the shootout.

The only time it would ever happen is if a team needed the row. Say Leafs and habs last game of the season habs have 93 points for 8th. The leafs have 92 points but Montreal have the row tiebreaker. We win the game in reg or ot we tie row and tie them in points( if in ot) we beat them 3 games already so we hold the second tie breaker. We pull the goalie in it. (Hypothetical scenario)

Second way us if there is say 2 seconds left offensive zone faceoff.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Since the stupid skills competition isn't having any adverse affect on the team's playoff chances and disappears for the playoffs who cares?

Fortunately their shootout ineptitude hasn't cost them too badly in terms of standings this year.

But I seem to recall last game they said the Leafs had the second most 1-goal regulation wins in the NHL. That's great, but it's also a bit lucky/flukey.

If their record in one-goal regulation games takes a dip and their shootout record remains abysmal, could mean the difference between playoffs and no playoffs.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Better to have a higher ROW then to build for the shootout. Ultimately I think the loser point should only be awarded in a shootout, so its winner take all in OT.

I like that idea. I also think that if they insist on keeping the shootout, three points for a regulation/OT win and 2 points for shootout win/1 point for SO loss. Then all games are worth the same.

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
At this point, if I were RC, I would just throw names into a hat and draw them. I am ready to try Bozak, Orr and Fraser.

Can it be any worse? Only Bozak has scored this year, why not try the not obvious. Can't be worse.

Seems like he already does that... he chooses players that did not even score or contribute points to go.... like last game when Kessel had 2 goals he did not even play in the shootout.:shakehead

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Hockey is normally played as a 'team' game. The shootout is a skills competition between 2 players, a shooter and a goaltender.

If this 'all star' gimmick has to stay, I believe it should be part of every single regular season game held as the last part of the on ice warmups.

This way, the team that loses the shootout, has an extra incentive to win the game outright in regulation or in the OT session. I think it would add extra intensity to the actual 'team' part of the game IMHO.

Also, I think OT should be extended by at least 5 minutes, maybe reducing the number of skaters to 3 on 3.

Points structure should also change to: 3 points for a regulation win; 2 points for an OT/Shootout win; and, 1 point for an OT/Shootout loss.

I hate the shootout! Does it really belong in a team game?

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Fortunately their shootout ineptitude hasn't cost them too badly in terms of standings this year.

But I seem to recall last game they said the Leafs had the second most 1-goal regulation wins in the NHL. That's great, but it's also a bit lucky/flukey.

If their record in one-goal regulation games takes a dip and their shootout record remains abysmal, could mean the difference between playoffs and no playoffs.

Yeah but it doesn't this year so who cares? If it looks to be an issue next year we can worry about it then - and hopefully they will spend some time working on it.

Last edited:

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
because it cost us home ice. that's a reason to care.

Even if they had earned the extra point in all their shootout losses they would still be behind Boston so no, it has not cost us home ice advantage.

Last edited:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't have the stats right in front of me, but I think that the SO is one of those things that varies year-to-year. One year you're good at it (as a team), next year the team can be pretty pathetic. Just the vibe I am getting from this SO.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Even if they had earned the extra point in all their shootout losses they would still be behind Boston so no, it has not cost us home ice advantage.

can't count :D
(thanks).

i wonder if hockey could consider - what baseball and football and everything does?
that... um.

games played format?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad