the Shootout Ordeal

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
if there was one thing you can talk about this season worth talking about

it's the shootout struggle
should this **** be something to worry about?
yeah non existent in playoffs

but if there was one thing the Leafs were some what good at in other years
was their ability to win the shootout

even Kadri the SO king is STRUGGLING
what's cooking? bozzie

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
At this point, if I were RC, I would just throw names into a hat and draw them. I am ready to try Bozak, Orr and Fraser.

Can it be any worse? Only Bozak has scored this year, why not try the not obvious. Can't be worse.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
My suggestion is to pull Reimer for the whole OT. Better chance at a W than the SO.

I heard if you pull your goalie in OT and get scored on, you don't get any points.

Shortened season, condensed schedule = less practice time = no time to focus on shootout. I'm not worried. Doesn't look like it will prevent us from making the playoffs, we will be better at it next year.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
how is kadri the shootout wizard? He scored a few nice goals a year ago and that's pretty much it

He's been getting a little too fancy, seems to think embarrassing a goalie will count for more points than just scoring the goal. He's got to refine his approach.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I heard if you pull your goalie in OT and get scored on, you don't get any points.

Shortened season, condensed schedule = less practice time = no time to focus on shootout. I'm not worried. Doesn't look like it will prevent us from making the playoffs, we will be better at it next year.

Whoa!! Really?? Never heard that one before... I apologize.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
if there was one thing you can talk about this season worth talking about

it's the shootout struggle
should this **** be something to worry about?
yeah non existent in playoffs

but if there was one thing the Leafs were some what good at in other years
was their ability to win the shootout

even Kadri the SO king is STRUGGLING
what's cooking? bozzie

Since the stupid skills competition isn't having any adverse affect on the team's playoff chances and disappears for the playoffs who cares?

bshaw

Jul 4, 2010
Hamilton
Dunno if someone mentioned it but 3 for 12 or whatever kadri is doesn't make him a king. He scored one or two dirty goals but that's it!

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London

Yup, the rule listed below for those who don't want to bother following the link :P

84.2 Overtime – Regular-season – Extra Attacker - A team shall be allowed to pull its goalkeeper in favor of an additional skater in the overtime period. However, should that team lose the game during the time in which the goalkeeper has been removed, it would forfeit the automatic point gained in the tie at the end of regulation play, except if the goalkeeper has been removed at the call of a delayed penalty against the other team.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I'm sure that Kadri will come around. I don't think Carlyle has him shooting second because of some good goals from the last couple of years. I imagine that in practice he's probably one of the best on the team. There is alot of pressure when it comes down to it and eventually his skill will come back. Remember as well that he hit the post this year and usually has had the goalie beat but has missed the net or otherwise. I just hope they keep playing solid and getting a point.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Since the stupid skills competition isn't having any adverse affect on the team's playoff chances and disappears for the playoffs who cares?

because it cost us home ice. that's a reason to care.
but happily we're just as good on the road too :) (and regardless of what team we play in the first few rounds it's going to be like ACC vs ACC2 anyway).

thunderhawk905*

Our S/O needs to be better next year. Carlyle has been known for tweaking up the special teams and this is an area that needs to be addressed. Even if we had been able to go 1-4 or 2-3, those are huge points and could have helped elevate us even further...

jughead42*

I think if it were a full season and the Leafs had ground to make up we would have nabbed Jussi Joninen off waivers or something like that to address the issue. At this point it's more of a concern for next season. Who knows why our great players who are capable of putting up fantastic offensive numbers don't excel in the skills competition. Seriously even Kadri can't score? They need to figure this out, maybe it's a strategy thing. From what I've seen, the most successful shooters aren't always the guys who are deke wizards alone. The best strategy is to go in with speed to back up the goalie, pick your spot and let it rip when you're in the slot. We have a lot of guys who should be able to do this, but they probably over think things. If we do that for a while we'll have success, but the opposing goalies will start to look for it and stay high. That's when you can burn them with your deke. They need to get their best shooters in and let them snipe for a bit.

Ruski

Apr 7, 2009
Toronto
Yup, the rule listed below for those who don't want to bother following the link :P

84.2 Overtime – Regular-season – Extra Attacker - A team shall be allowed to pull its goalkeeper in favor of an additional skater in the overtime period. However, should that team lose the game during the time in which the goalkeeper has been removed, it would forfeit the automatic point gained in the tie at the end of regulation play, except if the goalkeeper has been removed at the call of a delayed penalty against the other team.

So theoretically, we can get a situation where one team is going to miss the playoffs if they don't get the two points and instead of going for a shootout
(at which they stink), they may pull the goalie in overtime knowing that only two points matter.

Far fetched? sure but if it was down to the last game of the season against montreal and we needed two points and it got to overtime, i would almost be tempted to pull Reimer and just try and win 5 on 4 in Overtime instead of trying to get to the shootout.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
far fetched, I would think that no matter how bad you are at the shootout you'd expect your odds to be better with it, then with an empty net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad