The Sheldon Kennedy Story

Geese_Howard*

yep sad story but frost is also his agent, i think once he hit rock bottom, frost came in and brain washed him.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Kennedy writes about how James paid players to have sex with girls while he watched from the closet; how players around the league taunted Kennedy for being 'Graham's little wife;' and how many people knew, or ought to have known, about the abuse that police estimate affected 75 to 150 of James' players.

If everybody knew about it, why didn`t anybody take any action to stop it? I can undestand the victims not wanting to deal with it, but it`s sickening that other players in the league took the time to taunt Kennedy about it but never bothered calling the police to get the ******* coach away from other kids.

Ironic trivia: In 1989 The Hockey News gave Graham James their Man of the Year Award.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Geese_Howard said:
yep sad story but frost is also his agent, i think once he hit rock bottom, frost came in and brain washed him.

Maybe you are confusing two different Sheldon's, this is about Sheldon Kennedy not Sheldon Keefe; maybe, I am wrong and Frost was Kennedy's agent at some point in time, but not that I can ever recall reading about; I recall Tom Laidlaw and Jeff Jackson being Sheldon Kennedy's agents in the late 1990s.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
reckoning said:
If everybody knew about it, why didn`t anybody take any action to stop it? I can undestand the victims not wanting to deal with it, but it`s sickening that other players in the league took the time to taunt Kennedy about it but never bothered calling the police to get the ******* coach away from other kids.

That's the first thing I thought about after reading that also. Why didn't anybody do anything? It appears that many people/players from around the league had an idea, or at least a suspicion of what was going on. And it's not like they were under James' "control" either. It seems like it was treated like one big joke; all the while kids were getting molested. That's some messed up ****.

bling

Jun 23, 2004
reckoning said:

Ironic trivia: In 1989 The Hockey News gave Graham James their Man of the Year Award.

Yes. it was widely known and talked about but the sad sick culture of "what happens in the room stays in the room" is a perfect setup for a sexual predator. The brainwashing and use of physical abuse to create high level atheletes is also a major contributor to this and similar scenarios. If anyone thinks that Sheldon's situation is unique in the hockey world they are only fooling themselves.

Another sad aspect of all this is that Graham James is now employed by a club in England to coach 12 to 16 year olds. That is the true tragedy, even after being convicted and doing time for molestation he is back in youth hockey with access to young boys....

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Leaf Lander said:
danton was his coach and he is rumored to have a alternative lifestyle then you got grahem james

and then you can see why sheldons promising career got derailed

Just to clarify, I don't think Frost was ever Kennedy's agent. In fact, I don't think that Frost ever got his certification until after Kennedy played his last NHL game in 1997. (The name David Frost really didn't generate alarm bells in North American hockey circles until 1998, when his stable of drones started to become eligible for the NHL Draft. While there had been some negative talk about him before, there wasn't anything substantial until he became an agent. I remember, in the 1999 THN Draft Preview, teams were saying they'd outright avoid Sheldon Keefe because he was represented by Frost).

The Sheldon Kennedy story is one of the most unfortunate in sports history. There was a thread recently about the most hard luck players in NHL history. Kennedy is right up there. He was a scoring star in junior, good enough to be an elite guy on a Memorial Cup champion. I remember THN projected he would become an offensive force and the winger for Steve Yzerman in Detroit. I used to always wonder how a player with that much skill, and especially that much speed, could fritter it away on drugs and booze. I think we all now know.

I remember Jim Rome did an interview with him a few years ago. Rome isn't exactly the most compassionate guy in sports radio, but you could tell Kennedy's story clearly had an effect on him.

Good to see that Kennedy has seemingly cleaned up his life and is moving on. I thought the most impactful part of this story was when he talked about the double life during the cross-Canada roller blade tour.

I remember a story by then-THN editor-in-chief Steve Dryden after James' conviction. Dryden was the one who recommended that James win the man-of-the-year award in 1989 for a THN sub-publication (Inside Hockey, I think it was, but I could be wrong. The magazine ceased four years later). Dryden said they picked James because of his anti-smoking and anti-drinking messages to his players. James was also anti-fighting, and many THN columnists over the years have also been anti-fighting. That's why he won. Dryden discussed how hard it was to see this man, respected in so many circles for so many years, and know that he was leading a double life. It's disturbing that he is coaching teenagers.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Leaf Lander said:
danton was his coach and he is rumored to have a alternative lifestyle then you got grahem james

and then you can see why sheldons promising career got derailed
LL, you're confusing the hell out of me. What does Danton have to do with any of this ?

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
God Bless Canada said:
I remember a story by then-THN editor-in-chief Steve Dryden after James' conviction. Dryden was the one who recommended that James win the man-of-the-year award in 1989 for a THN sub-publication (Inside Hockey, I think it was, but I could be wrong. The magazine ceased four years later). Dryden said they picked James because of his anti-smoking and anti-drinking messages to his players. James was also anti-fighting, and many THN columnists over the years have also been anti-fighting. That's why he won. Dryden discussed how hard it was to see this man, respected in so many circles for so many years, and know that he was leading a double life. It's disturbing that he is coaching teenagers.
I clearly remember Ron McLean trying to defend him in some way. Fool.
Predators and pedophile's exist, and we've all seen percentages of relapse no matter the therapy or the punishment. I don't pretend to have any answers about how they should or shouldn't be re-integrated into society, but to think this creep is in a position that puts him in contact with young people is scary. Don't these kids have parents ? Media being what it is, someone must have raised the question ?

albertGQ

Jul 1, 2005
Calgary
Lets get this straight. David Frost NEVER represented Shelden Kennedy.

The Sheldon Kennedy story has NOTHING to do with Mike Danton

People are confusing Sheldon Kennedy with Shelen Keefe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad