Speculation: The Sharks are going for the cup next season. How do they proceed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigante

Sep 12, 2011
Ott is a terrible player now. I'd rather James Sheppard as the #3C.

53.9% Faceoffs last year for Ott, would be a nice upgrade to Shep. Can also pitch in on the PK. Plus he has the heartz to make up for his gutless teammate.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
53.9% Faceoffs last year for Ott, would be a nice upgrade to Shep. Can also pitch in on the PK. Plus he has the heartz to make up for his gutless teammate.

Ott is an upgrade on faceoffs and a SEVERE downgrade on everything else.

Gigante

Sep 12, 2011

Any UFA C's you like for 3C? Ideally if we're going to go for cup next year UFA is most likely route because we don't have to give up any assets - the assets I'd like to give up won't net us anything decent at 3C. Or rather see Shep there than any of them? or Hertl/Pavs moved down to 3C?

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
I have this sinking feeling in my gut that we are going to proceed along the following for our opening night roster:

CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Patrick Marleau ($6.667m) / Logan Couture ($6.000m) / Matt Nieto ($0.759m)
Joe Pavelski ($6.000m) / Tomas Hertl ($0.925m) / Tommy Wingels ($2.475m)
Raffi Torres ($2.000m) / Joe Thornton ($6.750m) / Tyler Kennedy ($2.350m)
James Sheppard ($1.300m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.750m) / Mike Brown ($1.200m)
John Scott ($0.700m) / Adam Burish ($1.850m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($4.250m) / Brent Burns ($5.760m)
Mirco Mueller ($0.894m) / Justin Braun ($1.250m)
Konrad Abeltshauser ($0.633m) / Jason Demers ($3.333m)
Matt Irwin ($1.000m) /
GOALTENDERS
Antti Niemi ($3.800m)
Alex Stalock ($1.600m)
BUYOUTS
Martin Havlat ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$175,000
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,421,667; BONUSES: $1,132,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $6,578,333

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Any UFA C's you like for 3C? Ideally if we're going to go for cup next year UFA is most likely route because we don't have to give up any assets - the assets I'd like to give up won't net us anything decent at 3C. Or rather see Shep there than any of them? or Hertl/Pavs moved down to 3C?

No, none. Frankly, I bet we could get Drew Shore for cheap off of Florida, and I think he'd be a fine #3C.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
So all indications seem to be that Evander Kane has asked for a trade out of Winnipeg. I've long thought that he'd be a great tonic for the Sharks.

I know Pavelski's name has frequently been floated around as a fitting return for Kane, but honestly, I think his modified NTC will make that a difficult proposition. I'd like to hear your best Kane proposal involving Sharks players without NMCs/NTCs.

Couple things to consider:
-Jets are primarily in need of LHD and prospects on the wing.
-Don't want anything to do with Niemi unless you're taking Pavelec off our hands. And yes, we'd gladly retain salary.
-I really like Matt Nieto :D

Look forward to hearing some of the responses.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
So all indications seem to be that Evander Kane has asked for a trade out of Winnipeg. I've long thought that he'd be a great tonic for the Sharks.

I know Pavelski's name has frequently been floated around as a fitting return for Kane, but honestly, I think his modified NTC will make that a difficult proposition. I'd like to hear your best Kane proposal involving Sharks players without NMCs/NTCs.

-Don't want anything to do with Niemi unless you're taking Pavelec off our hands. And yes, we'd gladly retain salary.

Don't go there.... You won't like our answer. :laugh:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

Funnily enough, all three of your points also apply to us in just about the same exact ways. Although we're mostly still split on Niemi.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX

Totally agree with this. I think there is a vocal block of posters here who are going out of their way to shoot down every idea from any poster regarding a low risk signing of remaining UFAs at bargain prices, but Steve Ott should avoided.

On the surface, yeah he's good at FO's, once showed skill and promise, and is heralded as being a passionate player.

But I've been living in Dallas since 09 and I (of course) passionately hate the Stars, but it was pretty clear to me (and I was saying it to anyone who would listen) that if the Stars wanted to go anywhere, they need to change the team culture, and that meant moving Ott and Robeiro.

And sure enough things are turning around after dumping these guys. Ott constantly—and I mean constantly—whines to the refs. (Robeiro too, but not nearly as bad as Ott). He fancies himself a leader, but he led "his" Stars down more than anything.

And that's not to mention his Avery-esque antics. Anyone remember the Flyers/Rangers 24/7? The Flyers were in Dallas and it was featured on the show. His response on ice response to Giroux's question about whether he'd be taking the FO was hilarious (didn't directly answer it, just said "I'm 5th in the league in faceoffs. Look it up on NHL.com." :laugh:). His confrontation with Laviolette was ridiculous and proof that he wants to be the circus sideshow, not win a Cup.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
I have this sinking feeling in my gut that we are going to proceed along the following for our opening night roster:
those are actually pretty good lines, though you're forgetting about Mcginn. Pavs would probably play c over Hertl, basically 3 '1b' lines haha. Kennedy sucks though, waste in the top 9, waste on the energy line. Would rather just dump him and see what Goldobin would do with Jumbo and Torres, that would be interesting at least.

Is Pitkanen done? He was Carolina's #1 dman for a decent playoff run, I know he had a bad injury last year but was always a fan

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
those are actually pretty good lines, though you're forgetting about Mcginn. Pavs would probably play c over Hertl, basically 3 '1b' lines haha. Kennedy sucks though, waste in the top 9, waste on the energy line. Would rather just dump him and see what Goldobin would do with Jumbo and Torres, that would be interesting at least.

Is Pitkanen done? He was Carolina's #1 dman for a decent playoff run, I know he had a bad injury last year but was always a fan

He's probably done. I think there were talks of him retiring last year. Never say never but I really wouldn't count on him coming back anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad