Speculation: The Sens are now co-owned? Melnyk denies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
Exactly, this is a win either way.

If it is a hoax, it is possibly the most hysterically funny troll of the Sens fan base in recent memory.

If it is not a hoax the team will have a more solid foundation moving forward.

nothing will top the spezza trade by bdp.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Allen Panzeri
Here's the page from Frank Magazine on Ottawa Senators' owner Eugene Melnyk's new partner.

BwFzJHaIQAEzZmy.jpg

sounds like one big troll.

While I'm not directly experienced with Frank, Wikipedia does mention that Frank Magazine has in the past broken actual stories; the examples mentioned seem to be topics mainstream media outlets may be unwilling to touch.

Read the text in the image... it reads way too tongue in cheek (and has multiple references to quotes provided to the Ottawa Petfinder) to be a serious story. But the byline makes it sound serious if you just look at the online page.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
So, it's all up in the air, no one knows territory then. Alrighty.

My question, how much is this Minto group/individuals worth? Isn't Minto just a company that builds homes? I don't see where they'd have the megabucks needed to play in a billionaire's world.

Well, Mr. Greenberg and family, The Minto Group, had, as of 2011, a net worth of $1.1B according to Canadian Business. That's near the bottom of a list of the wealthiest Canadians. Don't believe they've made the list since but safe to say the fella has money to burn.

edit: OK, so I went to find the most recent rich list and there's the Greenberg Family coming in at #51 at a cool $1.46B net worth. Melnyk? #77.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/lists-and-rankings/rich-100-the-full-2014-ranking/

Last edited:

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Exactly, this is a win either way.

If it is a hoax, it is possibly the most hysterically funny troll of the Sens fan base in recent memory.

If it is not a hoax the team will have a more solid foundation moving forward.

How is it hilarious though? Just some random reporter putting up vague rumors on Twitter. What's funny is how quickly some people latched on to such insipid stuff.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
It is hard not to take it seriously though. It sucks being at the bottom of the payroll for many seasons. Now whether or not Melnyk will spend when the time is right is up for discussion (he may already be doing with the recent MacArthur and Anderson deals), but the sens getting a co-owner who may help them spend more money and may even be able to help them get to the cap or at least the middle ground in spending is huge news.

I honestly don't find it funny when it comes to trolling about these type of things. It is a pathetic attempt at humor imo.

Right, ok. And, you know, I don't think I'm quite so desperate so apologies if I don't quite sympathize with your...mental anguish? But I gotta think that if you can't find anything humourous about this you're fighting way too hard.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Im not gonna lie i knew this stuff was likely not what it appeared to be when I opened the thread, but I found myself wanting to believe it to a point where I eventually did.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Yeah, that's what's funny L'Aveuglette, and, maybe, the point, hein? Really, don't expect this from a seasoned veteran reporter. And that got me listening. Following it like a real story. But bam! Out comes Frank after causing this mayhem. I don't know. I, for one, don't mind looking like a jackass and will say "kudos, old timer, kudos".

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Well, Mr. Greenberg and family, The Minto Group, had, as of 2011, a net worth of $1.1B according to Canadian Business. That's near the bottom of a list of the wealthiest Canadians. Don't believe they've made the list since but safe to say the fella has money to burn.

edit: OK, so I went to find the most recent rich list and there's the Greenberg Family coming in at #51 at a cool $1.46B net worth. Melnyk? #77.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/lists-and-rankings/rich-100-the-full-2014-ranking/

Wow...didn't think a local builder could accumulate that much wealth.

Still, the Sens aren't exactly a money machine. With the cap (and floor) going up and locals not willing to pay Canadian NHL ticket prices, I doubt this team has much in the way of profitability. Something has to break sooner or later......either a reallly big billionaire who uses the team as a toy steps in, or the fans start opening their wallets. The status quo won't be viable in a 90-mil cap world (whenever that happens).

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Yeah, that's what's funny L'Aveuglette, and, maybe, the point, hein? Really, don't expect this from a seasoned veteran reporter. And that got me listening. Following it like a real story. But bam! Out comes Frank after causing this mayhem. I don't know. I, for one, don't mind looking like a jackass and will say "kudos, old timer, kudos".

Seems to me like it's the reporters who end up looking like jackasses when their credibility goes down the crapper when they post unfounded rumors or plain old misinformation. I guess I'm too old to fall for this sort of stuff but can understand the willingness to believe it. I mean, I too want the team to be in better shape financially.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Seems to me like it's the reporters who end up looking like jackasses when their credibility goes down the crapper when they post unfounded rumors or plain old misinformation. I guess I'm too old to fall for this sort of stuff but can understand the willingness to believe it. I mean, I too want the team to be in better shape financially.

About that, Campbell, as he said in one of his follow up tweets, not a reporter anymore. And this whole thing is maybe just a bit of sarcasm, a joke, that went nuclear.

Journalists, as a species, male or female, and proportionally speaking (can't generalize too much), can be the biggest bunch of smart-alecky jerks on the planet. Odd ducks and outcasts. Jokers. You'll have to take my word for this. I have inside sources, can confirm, but strictly on background. No names.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
I'd love it if OSEG bought the sens and CTC and turned the grounds into something of a Landsdowne West. Stores, movie theatre, condos, profit.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Mr. Greenberg has said on twitter this is just a rumour...but it wasn't really a denial.

In the political world this is called the "non-denial denial". Mike Duffy did it when the rumours surfaced about him being the father of the woman in Peru. He came out with a very carefully worded statement that was full of bluster and false outrage, but if you read it closely he never directly denied the allegation.

As Terrell Owens once said, get your popcorn ready. This could get interesting...

great1

Nov 13, 2009
Fergus, Ontario
In the political world this is called the "non-denial denial". Mike Duffy did it when the rumours surfaced about him being the father of the woman in Peru. He came out with a very carefully worded statement that was full of bluster and false outrage, but if you read it closely he never directly denied the allegation.

As Terrell Owens once said, get your popcorn ready. This could get interesting...

giphy.gif

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
I'd love it if OSEG bought the sens and CTC and turned the grounds into something of a Landsdowne West. Stores, movie theatre, condos, profit.

That would be great, but scratch the theatre. With the Empire 24 at the Centrum, there's no need for another multiplex in Kanata. Or maybe OSEG would want an independent art house theatre? :sarcasm:

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
If anything the thread title should be changed to Melnyk confirms! It makes sense now, clearly Alfie, Spezza and JOB weren't dog people. Can't have that sort of anamosity in the organization.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
All the "Alfie returns" talk would make a lot more sense if we had a new owner,don't know if part time owner would make a difference.

But then what was that Uncle Eugene charm offensive all about a couple of weeks ago?

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
If anything the thread title should be changed to Melnyk confirms! It makes sense now, clearly Alfie, Spezza and JOB weren't dog people. Can't have that sort of anamosity in the organization.

What I'm taking from this is Alfie, Spezza and JOB were cat people. I can totally see Spezza as the Lil Bub of the team.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
If only Nelson Peltz was the co-owner, then Brad would finally get a fair shake at cracking the lineup. He'd probably get us 20-25 snipes and 30 snapples on the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad