Silver Seven The Senators’ Offence Will Soon Dominate the NHL

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Gotta wait and see. If we end up drating Lafreniere and Raymond vs Holtz and Sanderson, thats a big difference in our future offence.

We will have some pretty good depth up front after this draft, and we have some nice young players and prospects on D, but unless we get lucky either at the draft lottery or by prospects exceeding expectations, we lack the star power that teams need to dominate offensively

Avs have mackinnon and Rantanan, oil have mcDavid and Draisaitl, TO have Matthew and Marner, Pens have Crosby and Malkin, TB have Stamkos and Kucherov, Bos have Pasta and Marchand, WAS have Ovie and Backstrom. Can we get two guys as good as any of those pairs this draft? Hopefully, but its no sure thing.

How is it we end up with only Holtz and Sanderson? We lose the lottery bad then reach 10 spots? You kinda lose credibility at that point. Everything after that just gets lost

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Future Looks Bright at Forward:
Ottawa already has two good top 6 lines in the making in ...
Tkachuk - L. Brown - Batherson - L. Brown is a very big centre who hopefully will be able to handle other big NHL centres, he has an intriguing package of size & skill set. Batherson has had two good AHL seasons & has done everything at that level, let's hope he is able to transition that success into NHL success too. Tkachuk is a superstar in the making & will only get better.

Formenton - Norris - Pinto - Formenton has world class speed & a combination of size, grit & scoring ability. Norris has top line potential, good speed & scoring ability & could carry this line. Pinto has a scoring ability as well as a hard work ethic to mix things up & score big goals. Could be a very interesting scoring line.

And Ottawa should be able to draft another potential top 6 line in this 2020 draft ...
Byfield C - With their 1st 1st rd pick they need to draft a legitimate big elite centre.
With the next 8 selections in this draft the Sens have the opportunity to draft a very good defensive pair or two & another forward line. They could also acquire more good young player(s), prospects or picks through trades or if an unexpected prospect breaks through the way Stone & Hoffman did. And then there is the 2021 draft where Ottawa has another 4 picks in the first 2 rds that should also help the rebuild.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
How is it we end up with only Holtz and Sanderson? We lose the lottery bad then reach 10 spots? You kinda lose credibility at that point. Everything after that just gets lost
You should probably check up on the most recent rankings out there before attacking peoples credibility. Both guys are often in the 5 to 10 range which as a group is pretty close to one another.

Mckeens has Sanderson at 5th ahead of Drysdale for example while central scouting has him ahead of Rossi and Perfetti among NA, so likely 6th or 7th in a combined list and fits into the sens drafting profile to a tee. He is very underatted on these boards and was a riser all season.

Holtz is probably the best pure shooter in the draft but isn't a one dimensional player. He was 5th on the most recent FC list and 7th on McKeens. If we are scared of by Drysdale's size and take Sanderson over him, Holtz could be an option at 6th.

Guys like Rossi and Perfetti are wildcards on a certain sense because some teams will get scared off by their combination of size and lack of elite speed. Drysdale has the speed, but like Hughes 2 years ago will have teams question if he can be effective in the nhl at his size.

I'd actually be happy with those two at 5 and 6 even if they weren't my top choices at that slot. All the guys in the 5 to about 10 are more or less in the same tier imo, there is no bad choice between guys like Rossi, Perfetti, Holtz, Sanderson, or Drysdale. Askarov might fit in too but i shy away from goalies that high and some people really like Lundell.

Anyways, if you don't like Sanderson and Holtz at that range, that's fine, i disagree but i guess we'll find out come draft day. Odds are we will be drafting twice in the top 5 and not 5th and 6th meaning only one gets conderation at most.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Gotta wait and see. If we end up drating Lafreniere and Raymond vs Holtz and Sanderson, thats a big difference in our future offence.

We will have some pretty good depth up front after this draft, and we have some nice young players and prospects on D, but unless we get lucky either at the draft lottery or by prospects exceeding expectations, we lack the star power that teams need to dominate offensively

Avs have mackinnon and Rantanan, oil have mcDavid and Draisaitl, TO have Matthew and Marner, Pens have Crosby and Malkin, TB have Stamkos and Kucherov, Bos have Pasta and Marchand, WAS have Ovie and Backstrom. Can we get two guys as good as any of those pairs this draft? Hopefully, but its no sure thing.

Sens might not have a top heavy duo like that when all is said and done but the hope is that behind the 2 major guys, you have a great supporting cast that could score goals in bunches and provide great 2-way hockey

That's where guys like Tkachuk, Batherson, Norris, Brown, Formenton, Pinto, Duclair/Balcers/Abramov/etc. come into play. The way we have stacked the prospect pool could end up in a very solid line-up overall. But if we want to compete and be among the best teams, yes we will need 2 major offensive threats. That's why they have to pick the 2 best forwards available at where they are going to pick in the top-6 of the draft. If we are lucky enough to get the 1st OA and 3/4th OA and we end with Lafreniere and Stutzle let's say, we are going to be set IMO.

Lafreniere-Stutzle-Batherson : playing with 2 elite talents will allow Batherson to enable his own high end talent.

Tkachuk-Norris-Pinto : those guys are talented and are pretty good athletes but it's their hard nose style that will make them extremely hard to play against. Perfect 2nd line?

Formenton-Brown-Duclair : that speed on the wing is ridiculous, plus those guys can finish, which would allow Brown to exploit his playmaking ability, which is his strenght.

Paul-White-Brown : ideal 4th line? Can defend, score, create havoc all over the ice.

There's plenty of other guys to consider (Balcers, Chlapik, Abramov, etc) and that will make a case to be in the lineup (plus that other 1st and those four 2nd round picks we don't know about yet). IMO, you trade a guy like Tierney but a guy like Connor Brown should probably be a staple and cornerstone to the bottom-6

What are the chances we get 1st and 3rd?And chances for 1st and 4th?

I know I said our top guys might not end up as good as the best duos in the league, but seriously if we get Lafreniere and Stutzle, we might not have to envy anybody... Those guys are going to be major studs.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sens might not have a top heavy duo like that when all is said and done but the hope is that behind the 2 major guys, you have a great supporting cast that could score goals in bunches and provide great 2-way hockey

That's where guys like Tkachuk, Batherson, Norris, Brown, Formenton, Pinto, Duclair/Balcers/Abramov/etc. The way we have stacked the prospect pool could end up in having a very solid line-up overall. But if we want to have a compete, yes we will need 2 major offensive threats. That's why they have to pick the 2 best forwards available at where they are going to pick in the top-6 of the draft. If we are lucky enough to get the 1st OA and 3/4th OA and we end with Lafreniere and Stutzle, we are going to be set IMO.

Lafreniere-Stutzle-Batherson : playing with 2 elite talents will allow Batherson to enable his own high end talent.

Tkachuk-Norris-Pinto : those guys are talented and are pretty good athletes but it's their hard nose style that will make them extremely hard to play against. Perfect 2nd line?

Formenton-Brown-Duclair : that speed on the wing is ridiculous, plus those guys can finish, which would allow Brown to exploit his playmaking ability, which is his strenght.

Paul-White-Brown : ideal 4th line? Can defend, score, create havoc all over the ice.

There's plenty of other guys to consider (Balcers, Chlapik, Abramov, etc) and that will make a case to be in the lineup (plus that other 1st and those four 2nd round picks we don't know about yet). IMO, you trade a guy like Tierney but a guy like Connor Brown should probably be a staple and cornerstone to the bottom-6

What are the chances we get 1st and 3rd?And chances for 1st and 4th?

I know I said our top guys might not end up as good as the best duos in the league, but seriously if we get Lafreniere and Stutzle, we might not have to envy anybody... Those guys are going to be major studs.

All I'm getting at is our future looks very different depending on who we draft. Two top 3 or 4 picks and we could have that elite duo on top of great depth. If we end up drafing 5 and 6, we will still have two great prospects, but depending on what direction the team goes we might not even have one truly elite offensive forward. Heck, its possible we might pick two dmen at 5-6.

On the flip side, we have anotherc1st rounder along with 4 2nd round picks. Perhaps we find our own Kucherov, Pastrnak, Marchand, or whoever with one of them. I just think its ealy to describe us as having an offence that will soon dominate the NHL when exactly zero of our forwards have dominated at that level and there is no guarantee we will be drafting a sure bet to do so.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Sure, if we get very high picks it is conceivable.

However, if we end up picking 5 and 6 I don't think it is fair to expect an explosion of offense.

We'll certainly improve since we are currently very poor at offense but I don't see anyone in our current prospect pool that makes me think that they will develop into dominating players.

Stranger things have happened of course but I believe that article is a bit premature.

Premature? It’s as likely to occur as FYOUS! :)

Reactions: Gesus

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Anthony Duclair - Quinton Byfield - Drake Batherson
Brady Tkachuk - Josh Norris - Lucas Raymond
Alex Formenton - Colin White - Connor Brown
Nick Paul - Filip Chlapik - Rudolfs Balcers

Where do those over paid 4th liners fit in?

You put one on the third line. :)

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
You should probably check up on the most recent rankings out there before attacking peoples credibility. Both guys are often in the 5 to 10 range which as a group is pretty close to one another.

Mckeens has Sanderson at 5th ahead of Drysdale for example while central scouting has him ahead of Rossi and Perfetti among NA, so likely 6th or 7th in a combined list and fits into the sens drafting profile to a tee. He is very underatted on these boards and was a riser all season.

Holtz is probably the best pure shooter in the draft but isn't a one dimensional player. He was 5th on the most recent FC list and 7th on McKeens. If we are scared of by Drysdale's size and take Sanderson over him, Holtz could be an option at 6th.

Guys like Rossi and Perfetti are wildcards on a certain sense because some teams will get scared off by their combination of size and lack of elite speed. Drysdale has the speed, but like Hughes 2 years ago will have teams question if he can be effective in the nhl at his size.

I'd actually be happy with those two at 5 and 6 even if they weren't my top choices at that slot. All the guys in the 5 to about 10 are more or less in the same tier imo, there is no bad choice between guys like Rossi, Perfetti, Holtz, Sanderson, or Drysdale. Askarov might fit in too but i shy away from goalies that high and some people really like Lundell.

Anyways, if you don't like Sanderson and Holtz at that range, that's fine, i disagree but i guess we'll find out come draft day. Odds are we will be drafting twice in the top 5 and not 5th and 6th meaning only one gets conderation at most.

I was actually referencing Sanderson. I thought it obvious that's who i was speaking of.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
All I'm getting at is our future looks very different depending on who we draft. Two top 3 or 4 picks and we could have that elite duo on top of great depth. If we end up drafing 5 and 6, we will still have two great prospects, but depending on what direction the team goes we might not even have one truly elite offensive forward. Heck, its possible we might pick two dmen at 5-6.

On the flip side, we have anotherc1st rounder along with 4 2nd round picks. Perhaps we find our own Kucherov, Pastrnak, Marchand, or whoever with one of them. I just think its ealy to describe us as having an offence that will soon dominate the NHL when exactly zero of our forwards have dominated at that level and there is no guarantee we will be drafting a sure bet to do so.

Of course, but if I'm not mistaken, chances are extremely low that we pick up 5 & 6, no?

But yeah, I love Norris and Brown, but I think we need a higher level center. We should have the choice between Stutzle or Byfield, no? Of course, if you get 1st and 5th, they might both be gone but Lafreniere and Rossi wouldn't sound too bad, no?

Really hard to talk before we know where we pick and even who Dorion is going to choose but no matter what, we'll get 2 great/elite prospects. Like I said, we need a Center and Winger in top priority.

Sanderson and Drysdale are great but if Dorion picks them both and no elite forward prospect, I'm going to lose it. I can't believe he would really do that. Seriously, how could you pass up on all of Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle, Raymond and Rossi. Completely losing the lottery and getting 5th and 6th OA (very very low chances) and you are still garanteed one of these guys. Even Holtz or Perfetti could be considered. PICK THE BEST 2 FORWARDS Dorion

But in theory, I agree that the title is a bit premature. Can't we wait 2 weeks when we actually know who we have in the banks?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I was actually referencing Sanderson. I thought it obvious that's who i was speaking of.
So, in Jan when Bob Mckenzie released his midseason scouts poll, Sanderson was ranked 9th. He went on to explode offensively and put up something like 12 pts in his next 11 games. I suspect when Bob's new list comes out Sanderson will have moved up the rankings.

I suspect Bob's list will have Sanderson in the top 6 myself, eagerly waiting for bob to release it.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
So, in Jan when Bob Mckenzie released his midseason scouts poll, Sanderson was ranked 9th. He went on to explode offensively and put up something like 12 pts in his next 11 games. I suspect when Bob's new list comes out Sanderson will have moved up the rankings.

I suspect Bob's list will have Sanderson in the top 6 myself, eagerly waiting for bob to release it.

This offensive explosion claim is true, but don't think it indicates that he actually found some new offensive gear. His late-season surge is largely driven by his strong production in the Bio-Steel game and the Five Nations tournament. In those games, he had 9 points in 5 games. I did not watch the Bio-Steel game, so I am fine to grant that he was good in that game.

The issue with the Five Nations production is that if you actually isolate his points, they don't indicate any extra offensive potential. I will just post the clips at the bottom. You will be able to clearly see most of these plays are pretty much nothing, and two of his goals come off of the same set PP play. The only solid assist he had was in 3-on-3 OT, and he did not even make a passing play. He curled out from the corner, took it to the net, and someone picked up the loose puck and scored; however, I already know he has corner escapability, so he should be able to apply it offensively and defensively. He displayed a skill that anyone that watched him already knew he had.

After the Five Nations, he had 3 points in 6 USHL games; however, 0 of those were primary, and one was on the PP.

NOTE: I did not just focus on his points. I did watch basically all the Five Nations games, some twice.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Sens offence also dominated when we had the best offensive Dman in recent history though. We were also dominated offensively was the problem.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
This offensive explosion claim is true, but don't think it indicates that he actually found some new offensive gear. His late-season surge is largely driven by his strong production in the Bio-Steel game and the Five Nations tournament. In those games, he had 9 points in 5 games. I did not watch the Bio-Steel game, so I am fine to grant that he was good in that game.

The issue with the Five Nations production is that if you actually isolate his points, they don't indicate any extra offensive potential. I will just post the clips at the bottom. You will be able to clearly see most of these plays are pretty much nothing, and two of his goals come off of the same set PP play. The only solid assist he had was in 3-on-3 OT, and he did not even make a passing play. He curled out from the corner, took it to the net, and someone picked up the loose puck and scored; however, I already know he has corner escapability, so he should be able to apply it offensively and defensively. He displayed a skill that anyone that watched him already knew he had.

After the Five Nations, he had 3 points in 6 USHL games; however, 0 of those were primary, and one was on the PP.

NOTE: I did not just focus on his points. I did watch basically all the Five Nations games, some twice.

He regularly had plays like this that never resulted in goals in his last 13 games this season. He could have had 4 more points this Bio-Steel game, and he was far and away the best defensive player in either bench in his games in almost all of 2020.

He had 1 point in the first 5 games at the 5 nations in November, there is absolutely changes in his game from January on. As someone who watched Sanderson a lot, he absolutely has shown a lot more from the start of the season to his hot streak, where he absolutely has shown much more offensive chops, skating and confidence. He was the best skater in the ice in every game since the bio-steel. That same time frame the only guy to outproduce him was Borderleau with 15 points compared to his 14.

Couldn’t care less about his points being primary or not, as the scouts I’ve talked to throughout the past few seasons in he Q wouldn’t.

Last edited:

ijif

Dec 20, 2018

He regularly had plays like this that never resulted in goals in his last 13 games this season. He could have had 4 more points this Bio-Steel game, and he was far and away the best defensive player in either bench in his games in almost all his 2020 games.

He had 1 point in the first 5 games at the 5 nations in November, there is absolutely changes in his game from January on. As someone who watched Sanderson a lot, he absolutely has shown a lot more from the start of the season to his hot streak, where he absolutely has shown much more offensive chops, skating and confidence. He was the best skater in the ice in every game since the bio-steel. That same time frame the only guy to outproduce him was Borderleau with 15 points compared to his 14.

Couldn’t care less about his points being primary or not, as the scouts. I’ve talked to throughout the past few seasons in he Q wouldn’t.

Those are some solid clips, no doubt. I agree that he is a strong defensive player. I don't agree he is easily the best in all of his games, though. His partner is a pretty good defender in his own right.

I have watched Sanderson since his 16-17 developmental season. I agree that he has improved, but it is not to the extent that he should be in the top 5 or 10 discussions. I don't think he was the best player in every game since Bio-Steel.

Yes, the production was very good at the end. I am suggesting, through things such as video clips and minimal EV league production at the end, that it was more luck than a new level of play/production. I am also not really a fan of most

I understand that my ranking of Sanderson will be lower than where the mainstream guys/girls or scouts have him ranked, and I am fine with that. I have not followed many drafts in-depth, but I have seemed to be correct at the top of the draft for defenders, so that gives me the confidence to go off the board. Obviously, it is a small sample, so I will be wrong at some point!

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Those are some solid clips, no doubt. I agree that he is a strong defensive player. I don't agree he is easily the best in all of his games, though. His partner is a pretty good defender in his own right.

I have watched Sanderson since his 16-17 developmental season. I agree that he has improved, but it is not to the extent that he should be in the top 5 or 10 discussions. I don't think he was the best player in every game since Bio-Steel.

Yes, the production was very good at the end. I am suggesting, through things such as video clips and minimal EV league production at the end, that it was more luck than a new level of play/production. I am also not really a fan of most

I understand that my ranking of Sanderson will be lower than where the mainstream guys/girls or scouts have him ranked, and I am fine with that. I have not followed many drafts in-depth, but I have seemed to be correct at the top of the draft for defenders, so that gives me the confidence to go off the board. Obviously, it is a small sample, so I will be wrong at some point!

It’s your opinion, more power to it

I disagree with many layers of it, but that’s only my view and I could very well be wrong

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If you have a Recruits subscription and purchased McKegg’s pre-draft guide, there is quite a bit on Sanderson in there from actual NHL scouts.

He’s #3 overall on their list (high imo), and there are quite a few excerpts from scouts that show why he’s that high.

He’s going to go higher than people expect

Last edited:
Reactions: Matsens15

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Seriously, if we get one of Lafreniere/Stutzle/Byfield/Raymond and one of Rossi/Drysdale/Sanderson/Holtz/Perfetti, how could anyone be disappointed? Because it's very very likely to happen as we should get at least 1 top-4 pick...

Draft should look like this :

1st : Lafreniere

2nd to 4th : Stutzle/Byfield/Raymond

5th to 10th : Rossi/Drysdale/Sanderson/Holtz/Perfetti/Lundell

Of course, if we get 2 guys from the 1st group it's fantastic but one guy from each group is awesome as well. Will the draft on the 26th for sure?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Seriously, if we get one of Lafreniere/Stutzle/Byfield/Raymond and one of Rossi/Drysdale/Sanderson/Holtz/Perfetti, how could anyone be disappointed? Because it's very very likely to happen as we should get at least 1 top-4 pick...

Draft should look like this :

1st : Lafreniere

2nd to 4th : Stutzle/Byfield/Raymond

5th to 10th : Rossi/Drysdale/Sanderson/Holtz/Perfetti/Lundell

Of course, if we get 2 guys from the 1st group it's fantastic but one guy from each group is awesome as well. Will the draft on the 26th for sure?

I would move Drysdale up one level to make a 2nd to 5th grouping of 4 players: Byfield/Stutzle/Drysdale/Raymond in that order.

So I think I will be happy on Lottery day and hope I will be happy after the Senators make their selections.

The NYI pick hopefully will not be a reacher but be a dropper. :)

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I would move Drysdale up one level to make a 2nd to 5th grouping of 4 players: Byfield/Stutzle/Drysdale/Raymond in that order.

So I think I will be happy on Lottery day and hope I will be happy after the Senators make their selections.

The NYI pick hopefully will not be a reacher but be a dropper. :)

What is exciting is that we normally should get 2 of these players :

Lafreniere or Stutzle or Byfield or Raymond or Drysdale

Outside of Lafreniere, I'm changing my preference on who I hope we get almost everyday lol

Dorion would have to work extremely hard to make us disappointed.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad