Silver Seven The Senators’ Offence Will Soon Dominate the NHL

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
The Sens’ Offence Will Soon Dominate the NHL

Yes, yes, #MelnykOut and all that jazz but just hold on for a ‘sec.

However, with a promising group of young forwards developing in Belleville, as well as numerous picks in the upcoming draft - 5th and 6th overall at the absolute worst - better days are definitely ahead. The Senators’ forward corps will be solid in a few years, but will it be able to strike fear into the hearts of even the top teams in the league? Here’s my argument for why the answer should be an emphatic “YES!!!”.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I appreciate your enthusiasm for the future but you can't really talk about a team's offence without speaking about the defensemen. You can't talk about winning playoff rounds without talking about the goaltending situation.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I appreciate your enthusiasm for the future but you can't really talk about a team's offence without speaking about the defensemen. You can't talk about winning playoff rounds without talking about the goaltending situation.

You can't talk about the goaltending situation without talking about coaching. You can't talk about coaching without talking about management. You can't talk about management without talking about ownership.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
You can't talk about the goaltending situation without talking about coaching. You can't talk about coaching without talking about management. You can't talk about management without talking about ownership.

Ownership is the state or fact of exclusive rights and control over property, which may be any asset, including an object, land or real estate, or intellectual property. Ownership involves multiple rights, collectively referred to as title, which may be separated and held by different parties.
The process and mechanics of ownership are fairly complex: one can gain, transfer, and lose ownership of property in a number of ways. To acquire property one can purchase it with money, trade it for other property, win it in a bet, receive it as a gift, inherit it, find it, receive it as damages, earn it by doing work or performing services, make it, or homestead it. One can transfer or lose ownership of property by selling it for money, exchanging it for other property, giving it as a gift, misplacing it, or having it stripped from one's ownership through legal means such as eviction, foreclosure, seizure, or taking. Ownership is self-propagating in that the owner of any property will also own the economic benefits of that property.

We've now talked about ownership, what else is on your list?

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Ownership is the state or fact of exclusive rights and control over property, which may be any asset, including an object, land or real estate, or intellectual property. Ownership involves multiple rights, collectively referred to as title, which may be separated and held by different parties.
The process and mechanics of ownership are fairly complex: one can gain, transfer, and lose ownership of property in a number of ways. To acquire property one can purchase it with money, trade it for other property, win it in a bet, receive it as a gift, inherit it, find it, receive it as damages, earn it by doing work or performing services, make it, or homestead it. One can transfer or lose ownership of property by selling it for money, exchanging it for other property, giving it as a gift, misplacing it, or having it stripped from one's ownership through legal means such as eviction, foreclosure, seizure, or taking. Ownership is self-propagating in that the owner of any property will also own the economic benefits of that property.

We've now talked about ownership, what else is on your list?

Management and coaching

Reactions: xVolchenkov

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Management and coaching
I made a decision. It was going to take too much time so I decided to go with one reply

knowledge
Managers and Coaches are not the same thing, however managers do often play a coaching role for their employees. In some organizations, coaching is often a function of an effective manager. Let’s explore how the coaching role is different than a manager’s role to gain a better a understanding.

Being a manager is a more directive and transactional role than being a coach. Managers oversee the work of their employees. A manager comes up with a plan then tells or directs the employees on what to do. They are more focused on themselves determining direction, the immediate need and fixing the problem with a specific outcome.

A coach is a more consultative, employee-focused role that supports employees looking at their current and future reality. Coaches focus on asking questions to help the employee uncover the root of a problem and come up with an action plan themselves, rather than telling the employee the plan to follow. They encourage the employee to determine the problem and solution themselves.

I'm now exhausted, it's too difficult to make you happy. :)

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I thought talk of our D would be in the article based on the header. I think we're going to be towards the top of the league in getting offence from the D

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Sure, if we get very high picks it is conceivable.

However, if we end up picking 5 and 6 I don't think it is fair to expect an explosion of offense.

We'll certainly improve since we are currently very poor at offense but I don't see anyone in our current prospect pool that makes me think that they will develop into dominating players.

Stranger things have happened of course but I believe that article is a bit premature.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Anthony Duclair - Quinton Byfield - Drake Batherson
Brady Tkachuk - Josh Norris - Lucas Raymond
Alex Formenton - Colin White - Connor Brown
Nick Paul - Filip Chlapik - Rudolfs Balcers

Where do those over paid 4th liners fit in?

Reactions: Laminator

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'm kinda expecting to get a # 1-3 OA pick and a #4-6 OA pick. Hard to say where the Isles pick will land but it should net us another very solid prospect. Plus the 4 second round picks and 6 other picks from other rounds. We don't really need any of them to produce anything but chances are good that at least 1 solid NHL player will emerge from those rounds 2-7. It,s bonus at this point and you can affford log term projects that will help replenish the prospect pool down the road.

So what is the situation? There's so many options at the moment, it's hard to have a clear picture. So I will only mention guys that are young enough (26 y/o and less except Nilsson) to be part of the Sens for the next 5-10 years

I will try to paint a picture and put the players/prospects in groups that better fit their overall talent where they could be the most efficient (ex : Connor Brown in bottom-6). Note that if a player doesn't succeed to be a top-6 forward or top-4 D-men, he could always end up as a good bottom-6 forward or bottom-3 D-men (ex : Colin White might not be good enough for the top-6 but could be an excellent bottom-6 forward)

Top-6 Centers (need 2 to succeed) :

Top-5/6 pick? (Quinton Byfield/Tim Stutzle/Marco Rossi)
Josh Norris
Logan Brown
Shane Pinto

Top-6 Wingers (need 4 to succeed) :

Top-5/6 pick? (Alexis Lafreniere/Lucas Raymond/Cole Perfetti/Alexander Holtz)
Brady Tkachuk
Drake Batherson
Anthony Duclair
Rudolf Balcers

Bottom-6 Centers (need 2 to succeed) :

Colin White
Chris Tierney
Filip Chlapik
Mark Kastelic

Bottom-6 Wingers (need 4 to succeed) :

Connor Brown
Nick Paul
Jayce Hawryluk
Alex Formenton
Vitaly Abramov
Jonathan Davidsson
Angus Crookshank
Jonathan Gruden
Parker Kelly

Top-4 D-men (need 4 to succeed) :

Thomas Chabot
Erik Brannstrom
Jacob Bernard Docker
Lassi Thomson
Christian Wolanin
Isles 1st round pick?
Artyom Zub

Bottom-3 D-men (need 2-3 to succeed) :

Mike Reilly
Olle Alsing
Max Lajoie
Christian Jaros
Maxence Guenette
Jonny Tychonick

Goalies (need 2 to succeed) :

Anders Nilsson
Marcus Hogberg
Joey Daccord
Filip Gustavsson
Kevin Mandolese
Mads Sogaard

I left out the longer shots (Novak, Wilkie, Aspirot, Englund etc) as it is very unlikely they beat out most of the guys mentionned above. They might end up getting a cup-of-coffee or ala Derek Grant but probably not in Ottawa.

As you can see with this chart, the bottom 3 forward lines and bottom-2 defense lines, as well as back-up goaltending is a pretty safe bet to end up very very solid. What we need to do in this draft is get pure 1st liners. Ideally a 1st line Center and a 1st line Winger. Or a a 1st line Center and a top pair D-man would be the 2nd best option. Personally, I would try to swing for the fences with at least the firs 5 picks, we are very well positioned to do so. No need to be conservative, Sens are almost garanteed a solid line-up. What we need is the guys that could help the Sens to be among the Elite teams and Stanley Cup Contenders. This draft is the key.

Note that the Sens are positionned like that because opposedly to most NHL teams, they rebuilt "in advance" and before their stars were past their prime. Guys like Karlsson, Duchene and Stone were all still quite young.

My dream draft is Lafreniere, Stutzle and Quinn/Jarvis. lol that'd be crazy

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Wow, for a second I thought this was the annual off-season thread about the Leafs.

I'm going to keep it in my pants for the time being.

Right now our team is built for more of a three line offence than a top-heavy one.

Even with top picks, nothing is guaranteed as far as 1st line franchise-player type production is concerned.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Then the lineup isn't realistic. That's the point. This isn't a knock on Dorion, but more on all NHL GMs. "Veteran Presence" is valued waaay too much, why else did Dorion back up the truck for Alex Burrows and Nate Thompson?

Kyle Dubas is showing the world exactly why winning teams usually have a mixed blend of players, and why lines 1 through 4 should not all have the same common goal of trying to out score their opponents by trading off scoring chances back and forth. You cant just insert your 12 most talented players into the lineup and hope that it works out at the NHL level.

Were basically witnessing the experiment that arm chair GMs have been preaching they would do right now with Dubas in Toronto, and its not going very good so far.....

Thats just not how teams win in the playoffs when the checking gets tighter, and thats a fairly proven concept at this point in time. So it looks to me like these older coaches and GMS might actually know a thing or two about putting together a competitive team....I dunno

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Kyle Dubas is showing the world exactly why winning teams usually have a mixed blend of players, and why lines 1 through 4 should not all have the same common goal of trying to out score their opponents by trading off scoring chances back and forth. You cant just insert your 12 most talented players into the lineup and hope that it works out at the NHL level.

Were basically witnessing the experiment that arm chair GMs have been preaching they would do right now with Dubas in Toronto, and its not going very good so far.....

Thats just not how teams win in the playoffs when the checking gets tighter, and thats a fairly proven concept at this point in time. So it looks to me like these older coaches and GMS might actually know a thing or two about putting together a competitive team....I dunno

The leafs get pretty disrespected on here. They are a really good young team that's faced the Capitals and the Bruins in their last 3 playoff defeats. 2 of the best teams of the decade and basically Stanley cup final caliber teams.

They pushed the Bruins to game 7 both times, and the Caps to 6. Sure they aren't perfect, but to pretend that they are a deeply flawed team that can't go toe to toe with the other good teams is bullshit.

If we're in the same position as the Maple Leafs in 3 years Dorion would have done a very good job.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The leafs get pretty disrespected on here. They are a really good young team that's faced the Capitals and the Bruins in their last 3 playoff defeats. 2 of the best teams of the decade and basically Stanley cup final caliber teams.

They pushed the Bruins to game 7 both times, and the Caps to 6. Sure they aren't perfect, but to pretend that they are a deeply flawed team that can't go toe to toe with the other good teams is bullshit.

If we're in the same position as the Maple Leafs in 3 years Dorion would have done a very good job.

I think they are a flawed team but they are very good at what they're good at. The problem is that lots of teams over the years have been good at scoring and flawed elsewhere and those types of teams don't end up with cups

Reactions: aragorn

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

I don't know... All I see is the best NHL market with no playoffs round win in more than 15 years, and no Cup in... I don't know I wasn't born. Leafs fans bragged so much about their powerhouse, some people were talking out of pure jealousy... and not much to show for it so far. I don't look too crazy today as I was trying to temper things down and wait before anointing them Cups.

What's the excuse? With the Sens drafting and development and the Leafs finances, I believe the Sens would have done a lot better in the last 15 years (which they already did by a country mile)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Gotta wait and see. If we end up drating Lafreniere and Raymond vs Holtz and Sanderson, thats a big difference in our future offence.

We will have some pretty good depth up front after this draft, and we have some nice young players and prospects on D, but unless we get lucky either at the draft lottery or by prospects exceeding expectations, we lack the star power that teams need to dominate offensively

Avs have mackinnon and Rantanan, oil have mcDavid and Draisaitl, TO have Matthew and Marner, Pens have Crosby and Malkin, TB have Stamkos and Kucherov, Bos have Pasta and Marchand, WAS have Ovie and Backstrom. Can we get two guys as good as any of those pairs this draft? Hopefully, but its no sure thing.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad