The Semin is the Debil / Grinders Uber Alles Thread

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I don't do it in the offseason. My best offer now is Laich + Vrana/Bowey + 1st (or was prior to the Glencross deal).

Well IMO that was never going to happen as once Kane went down there was no way the 'Hawks were going to deal away Sharp.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
With Burakovsky being one of the top-6 players next season (most probably) there will be only one slot open.

I believe there could be better options than Semin.

At least if you think there is a problem with Eriksson after concussion you can't have it any other way with Semin. So Eriksson > Semin, and less risk there too.

And there could be more options obviously, Eriksson's just the example everybody agrees with in principle.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Former Caps Alexander Semin (and Wojtek Wolski) + Ilya Samsonov (Caps first choice in 2015(backup), few seconds ago won the Gagarin Cup (KHL) for Metallurg Magnitogorsk against CSKA Moscow in game 7.

Like I said few days ago on a russian site, it would be great to see Ovechkin and Semin win Stanley and Gagarin Cup the same year. :yo:

SashaSemin28

My Krasnaya Mashina
Mar 11, 2013
Darwen, England.
Former Caps Alexander Semin (and Wojtek Wolski) + Ilya Samsonov (Caps first choice in 2015(backup), few seconds ago won the Gagarin Cup (KHL) for Metallurg Magnitogorsk against CSKA Moscow in game 7.

Like I said few days ago on a russian site, it would be great to see Ovechkin and Semin win Stanley and Gagarin Cup the same year. :yo:

Played great during the entire playoffs aswell.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
The Semin haters rank right up there with the Laich lovers in terms of true determination to their cause. They can't even fathom that someone might have a different opinion and will shout loudly as a way of showing how right they are.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Good for him/them. Semin honestly never seemed at ease in the NHL, even when he was a top scorer. Glad he's having success back home in Russia.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Good for him/them. Semin honestly never seemed at ease in the NHL, even when he was a top scorer. Glad he's having success back home in Russia.

That's exactly how I feel. Happy he's found his place. I wonder if he should've made the jump sooner.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I watched all his playoff games, and he looks as happy as he was during his glory days with the Caps around 2008-2010.

Moving from Russia to NA is not easy, he always looked a bit uncomfortable here. Naturally, the xenophobic Canadian media interprets this as being disinterested. He's doesn't have a top notch work ethic but he definitely cares about the success of his team.

He should shave the abortion he calls a playoff beard, it's as ugly as Backstrom's beard. I'm glad he's a successful hockey player again.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Can't wait until we sign him next year. :sarcasm:

I will always have a fondness for Sasha and wish him well with his future. He was a big part of revitalizing hockey in DC. On a separate but similar note, it is crazy to think how different our last President's Trophy team looks compared to this year's team. Just a totally different and more mature organization.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Recognizing that Price was injured, I think Therien used Semin (and played off the Canadian media prejudices against a guy like Semin) to show the team that he was Le Petit General and that if Hab forwards didn't play the Michel Therien way every second of every shift, and pay attention to whatever details Michel Therien was obsessing over in any given week - they'd be gone.

That team didn't just suck because Price was hurt. That team sucked because it was obvious the players hated the coach and the coach's system - and I think he started to lose the team when he summarily sacked Semin after a very short sample size of games (where he didn't really play that bad) and a couple of Semin-esque stick penalties, even though the team was enjoying a ridiculously great record over the first 15 or 20 games. After that, the forwards played not to piss off Michel Therien, which is no way synonymous with playing to win.

Glad to see the year have a happy ending for Semin. The guy was always very entertaining (and equally infuriating) to watch. That wrist shot . . . by itself, that wrist shot made it worthwhile to get to the game 45 minutes early to see the warm-up.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Recognizing that Price was injured, I think Therien used Semin (and played off the Canadian media prejudices against a guy like Semin) to show the team that he was Le Petit General and that if Hab forwards didn't play the Michel Therien way every second of every shift, and pay attention to whatever details Michel Therien was obsessing over in any given week - they'd be gone.

That team didn't just suck because Price was hurt. That team sucked because it was obvious the players hated the coach and the coach's system - and I think he started to lose the team when he summarily sacked Semin after a very short sample size of games (where he didn't really play that bad) and a couple of Semin-esque stick penalties, even though the team was enjoying a ridiculously great record over the first 15 or 20 games. After that, the forwards played not to piss off Michel Therien, which is no way synonymous with playing to win.

Glad to see the year have a happy ending for Semin. The guy was always very entertaining (and equally infuriating) to watch. That wrist shot . . . by itself, that wrist shot made it worthwhile to get to the game 45 minutes early to see the warm-up.

The Habs suck because Therrien is an imbecile with a ****** "system" that generates no offense. They also suck because they lack depth.

They had a historic start to the season but it was all a fluke. They would've slowed down eventually even if Price never got injured, but still made the playoffs. Missing Price for so long exposed all their weaknesses, but the Habs management refuse to address their roster and coaching issues. They fell apart, and Therrien/Bergevin got to keep their jobs. This franchise is a joke, Semin is better off playing with the KHL champions.

I agree with you, Semin was infuriating at times but so fun to watch. His wicked wrist shot, his stick handling and the fancy playmaking.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
semin playing good over there means to me that the environment was crucial factor. the best hockey of his life he played in dc with feds, ovy, kozlov. a lot of shy/goofers need to have some sort of comfort zone to work properly.

i believe semin was and still his incapable of melting in a team(only partly because of the language barrier). prime example how to get used to ur enviroment is ovy although his outgoing persona and former home in moscow made it easy. thats of course a luxury problem when teams throw millions at you.
semin is a throwback russian stereotype from the early 90s with the exception that he is not arrogant/without demands, he just took the money and went home. savage :laugh:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

See now this is a nice fair statement.

He probably should have returned home years ago. I wish him luck. Thanks for not rambling about Laich and some other nonsense...lol.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
And also Viktor Kozlov, now a Metallurg assistant coach.

Ironically, I've never seen Semin playing harder and more complete hockey than these KHL playoffs. Definitely the enviroment. Good for him!
Achtung, happy Sasha warning:

[collapse=1]
1255501_3.jpg
[/collapse]

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad