OT: The Semi-Annual, Taste Optional Music Thread: Post Your Feel-Bad Hit of the Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
idk...I associate it with the Brits....kind of in conjunction with the compressed drum sound of Phil Collins...very funky, taken imo from the funk r&b groups and moved into the post punk, new wave genre and then into pop music...it was ubiquitous in the early 80s from Peter Gabriel to pretty much everyone (including Queen) and I love it....just look at:

to these pop gems...

Love Simple Minds before the Breakfast Club.

Reactions: Andy99

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019

Some interesting fantastic music in the Penguins thread. :thumbu:. Surprised no Dead Milkmen. Some gems.

Saw then play in a frat house at U Penn. I think the event was called the "Human Barbecue?" When the Dead Milkmen came on the crowd was dancing in unison and the supports of the house began to give out. It was scary. The Lyres played too and were good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0y1ZGFcwc0

P.S. Philly sucks!

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Saw then play in a frat house at U Penn. I think the event was called the "Human Barbecue?" When the Dead Milkmen came on the crowd was dancing in unison and the supports of the house began to give out. It was scary. The Lyres played too and were good.

P.S. Philly sucks!

Nice - lucky you. Under-rated band. Must have been early days for the Milkmen? How did they sound live?

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
I went back through this thread to listen to what I may have skipped. This was one of them and was probably the best. I've listened to it far too many times. Though I do think it's pretty damn funny in the video when the chick shows up for vocals out of nowhere at 2:42. :laugh:

That part is great! :)
They just released a new album. Severely underrated. A few years ago they paired the group from 12 to like 7. Sound has changed from their first two albums but they are still great. Glad you enjoyed and watched several time!

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Awesome. When dad (RIP) used to put Merle on the stereo when we had company on Christmas day, shit was about to get rowdy. Great times!

Yeah I grew up with a lot of old and "outlaw" country. Between my mother and her grandmother when we were visiting her during the holidays... something in that vein was always on. It left a mark on me. Though I have to tell you I almost entirely despise new country. Although there have been some artists operating in the periphery in recent years that are promising.

One of my all time favorites, Gram Parsons, was heavily influence by Haggard. His version of "Sing Me Back Home" is incredible. Though nobody ever completely lives up to Merle.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Yeah I grew up with a lot of old and "outlaw" country. Between my mother and her grandmother when we were visiting her during the holidays... something in that vein was always on. It left a mark on me. Though I have to tell you I almost entirely despise new country. Although there have been some promising artists operating in the periphery in recent years that are promising.

One of my all time favorites, Gram Parsons, was heavily influence by Haggard. His version of "Sing Me Back Home" is incredible. Though nobody ever completely lives up to Merle.
I grew up with zero country, but have really grown to like a lot of it. Can't stand the Music Row bullshit, but there are a bunch of acts out there that I'd consider among my favorites still making music.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Sturgill and Isbell (and the Drive-By Truckers for that matter) are badasses. I'm not familiar with Colter Wall though what you posted there is awesome... will have to check it out. Gives me some TVZ vibes, kinda... good stuff man thanks for dropping that in here.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Sturgill and Isbell (and the Drive-By Truckers for that matter) are badasses. I'm not familiar with Colter Wall though what you posted there is awesome... will have to check it out. Gives me some TVZ vibes, kinda... good stuff man thanks for dropping that in here.
I debated for a second sharing the video of Colter Wall because I heard him before I saw him. It was quite the shock to see that's what he looks like after listening to him for a while :laugh:

I saw Sturgill and Tyler Childers right before the COVID happened. Sturgill was kind of my entry into country besides like Live at Folsom Prison and a song here or there. Everything has branched from there, but have been finding some contemporaries and some of the old timers. Recently got a vinyl copy of TVZ's For the Sake of the Song.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I miss Girl Talk...which means I caved and bought Fuser (Harmonix's new music game) last night.

Taking music I don't like and turning it into something entertaining (be it actually good or just, you know, a cacophony of Billie Eilish, Basement Jaxx, Rage Against the Machine, and Dolly Parton doing four way too different things at the same time).

And yes, @ColePens, they have Coldplay and The Chainsmokers in it.

Sincerely saddens me that tomorrow is the 10th anniversary of Girl Talk's last album...though given the legal clusterf*** that is copyright and fair use law I definitely understand why it'll probably remain his last.
NSFW music (get out the way bitch, get out the way)

Giving this another listen. :yo:

Reactions: Big McLargehuge
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad