Prospect Info: The Second Overall Pick Thread: Part V (Kakko/Hughes Talk)

Minimum number of points needed for Kakko/Hughes (#2) to have a "successful" rookie season

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
And the Devs will pick Hughes at one !
Of course they will.

I will say one thing. All are aware of my view on Panarin. But I have also maintained that despite the fact that I do not believe that it will happen, there is a path to Panarin. Usually it starts with Gorton trading Kreider to get one of the coveted centers that we have bantered about. If Shero has a complete brain fart and second guesses himself and takes Kakko and the Rangers take Hughes, that is also one of the ways that I see a path to Panarin.

Again, all not realistic as I believe that there is no way Shero does not take Hughes and I do not believe that Gorton & JD go after Panarin.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Kotkaniemi played 0 games as a center in FEL. I'm quite sure Aho didn't play any either before he was drafted. Kakko has played center in the FEL/CHL (European Champion league) and in the juniors. Quite frankly they'd be stupid not to try him out there. He's got everything you'd want from number 1C. Of course defending at this level needs work and effort. No kid is 100% ready for that when jumping in the small rinks with big men at 18 years of age, well apart from maybe Barkov. Kakko has showed remarkable ability to learn and adapt throughout the year so I have little concern playing strong two-way game would ever be a problem for him looking down the line. I do think he's destined to play in the middle but then again, all due time. He's likely to start as a winger in order to adapt to the NHL even though there hasn't been many kids in the recent past as ready as he is right now.

Watching NYR next year is going to be such a thrill. Got a feeling Kakko's going to become quite a big name in so little time. I just hope they make the right moves and are able to surround him with talent. With that said, couldn't have picked a much better year to be drafting second. Now here's hoping nothing unexpected happens and Kakko really lands @ NYR. Just a few more days!

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Kotkaniemi played 0 games as a center in FEL. I'm quite sure Aho didn't play any either before he was drafted. Kakko has played center in the FEL/CHL (European Champion league) and in the juniors. Quite frankly they'd be stupid not to try him out there. He's got everything you'd want from number 1C. Of course defending at this level needs work and effort. No kid is 100% ready for that when jumping in the small rinks with big men at 18 years of age, well apart from maybe Barkov. Kakko has showed remarkable ability to learn and adapt throughout the year so I have little concern playing strong two-way game would ever be a problem for him looking down the line. I do think he's destined to play in the middle but then again, all due time. He's likely to start as a winger in order to adapt to the NHL even though there hasn't been many kids in the recent past as ready as he is right now.

Watching NYR next year is going to be such a thrill. Got a feeling Kakko's going to become quite a big name in so little time. I just hope they make the right moves and are able to surround him with talent. With that said, couldn't have picked a much better year to be drafting second. Now here's hoping nothing unexpected happens and Kakko really lands @ NYR. Just a few more days!

Yeah, those FOUR games he played at center really make a difference :laugh:

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I have this weird feeling in my tummy and i kinda like it. I feel just as hyped as Matthews fans were before he was drafted. Kakko will be an immidiate impact and eveyone knows it. Can't friggin wait...

Reactions: Rongomania

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Yeah, those FOUR games he played at center really make a difference :laugh:

What are you saying, that Kakko didn't prove he can play in the middle without being a liability? I believe he scored 4 goals and had 1 assist in those games as well, without looking out of place. Did you watch them even or are you here just seeking for attention? Nevermind this just "FOUR" games when he's played plenty if you add CHL and juniors which I also just stated.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
What are you saying, that Kakko didn't prove he can play in the middle without being a liability? I believe he scored 4 goals and had 1 assist in those games as well, without looking out of place. Did you watch them even or are you here just seeking for attention? Nevermind this just "FOUR" games when he's played plenty if you add CHL and juniors which I also just stated.

He didn't play center in the CHL this year. Trust me, I watched the games. Filppula was centering his line. And I have also seen Kakko play in Finland. I am not saying he's bad at center, but to use the argument that "unlike Kotkaniemi he has played center" is ridiculous. It was out of necessity, not because they felt he was better there.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki

It's still a very small sample size. We need to wait till he joins the big league till we can say fore sure. But if they will try him at center is a thing i wonder too. I wouldn't mind them trying it after a season.

Reactions: kelsier

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I can't imagine a player like Kakko wouldn't get a look at center at some point. He's already super-valuable, but the plain fact is, if he's anywhere close to just as good at center as at wing, he's even more valuable. He might become, at his age, a top-10 valuable asset in the entire league if he can excel at center (note: I'm not saying top-10 player -- I'm saying top-10 asset; ie, like Bill Simmons does his NBA trade value rankings of players every year, or he used to. Kakko at center probably creeps up pretty close to the top given his age and potential).

If he's much better at wing, that's where he'll be, but the position is just too valuable, Kakko is too well rounded skill-wise, and has too good of a size-speed combination not to be given a look at center at some point.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I can't imagine a player like Kakko wouldn't get a look at center at some point. He's already super-valuable, but the plain fact is, if he's anywhere close to just as good at center as at wing, he's even more valuable. He might become, at his age, a top-10 valuable asset in the entire league if he can excel at center (note: I'm not saying top-10 player -- I'm saying top-10 asset; ie, like Bill Simmons does his NBA trade value rankings of players every year, or he used to. Kakko at center probably creeps up pretty close to the top given his age and potential).

If he's much better at wing, that's where he'll be, but the position is just too valuable, Kakko is too well rounded skill-wise, and has too good of a size-speed combination not to be given a look at center at some point.

When i imagine him at center i think of one player and that's Crosby.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Ooooooh how do I look in this shiny new thread?
tenor.gif

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I’d be fine with like 35-40 points from Kakko but I forsee 50+ points and 25+ goals.

I said months ago that I think Kakko has a better that good chance of being a 30 goal guy right away, and I’m sticking to it.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I'm shooting for the moon with Kakko. I think he tops 50 points and I'd like to see him do that. Dammit the Rangers never get a top talent like this. I wanna see him dominate.

Of course - It may not be every night and it will be interesting to see how he adapts to the rink size, NHL systems, the defensive side of the puck and being a consistent pro.

A lot will depend upon the minutes he's given by Quinn. He averaged .84 points per game in the Liiga and if you translate that to the NHL sked its about 70 points. Given the tighter games, better goaltending, defending etc. I dont think getting around the 50 mark is too outlandish. He will have better teammates to help finish off plays too. I think he's a better playmaker then people notice.

I could certainly live with a 40-45 point rookie campaign, but screw it, I voted the 50 range.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad