Prospect Info: The Second Overall Pick Thread: Part II (Kakko/Hughes Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
My heart has gotten so set on Kakko now, that a small part of me wants him to cool it a little to make sure Shero doesn't have a last minute change of heart.

Our WC roster will quarantee Kakko #2.

Can't remember a worse lineup than they have this year, zero NHL talent, zero.

Hughes is going to light up the weak teams with NHL superstars and get the hype/superior comments.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Hughes is going to light up the weak teams with NHL superstars and get the hype/superior comments.

Jokiharu has NHL experience but yeah, the roster is all kinds of weak.

But Finland could probably randomly select people of of HF boards and still remain competitive at any international competition. The way you guys get everything out of what ever you're given is astounding.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
It would luck of all luck if we ended up with Hughes. Sadly, I think he will be an absolute star and the Devils are not going to pass up on him. Meanwhile we have a bunch of nice prospects but, again, uncertainty down the middle .

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Absolutely expecting this to happen.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Jokiharu has NHL experience but yeah, the roster is all kinds of weak.

But Finland could probably randomly select people of of HF boards and still remain competitive at any international competition. The way you guys get everything out of what ever you're given is astounding.

Usually there's someone leading the team, like Koivu, or Granlund or Barkov. This year there's honestly absolutely nobody.

They have the ability to push to their limits but this is just putting insane pressure on Kakko, if he fails to put up points it's going to make for a lot of bad comments.

(Jokiharju is ahl player this year, should change for next season).

Absolutely expecting this to happen.

It's not even funny the difference between these guys linemates.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It would luck of all luck if we ended up with Hughes. Sadly, I think he will be an absolute star and the Devils are not going to pass up on him. Meanwhile we have a bunch of nice prospects but, again, uncertainty down the middle .

Zibanejad is the most certain player either team has down the middle.

Kakko is more than just "Nice."

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I think it’s fair to say both are first overall pick worthy. This year is basically two first overall picks.
Yea this really isnt the Nico vs Patrick situation at all. These guys both deserve it. Hischier is a good player and was a good pick at 1, but Patrick was the consensus number 1 the year before and it took some guts to not take him.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Yea this really isnt the Nico vs Patrick situation at all. These guys both deserve it. Hischier is a good player and was a good pick at 1, but Patrick was the consensus number 1 the year before and it took some guts to not take him.

Eh, I dunno, he was pretty injury prone and the 2 weren't that separate by the time the draft came, didn't think it took guts to choose Hischier. I think most people knew Hischier was going to go #1 by the time the draft came.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Eh, I dunno, he was pretty injury prone and the 2 weren't that separate by the time the draft came, didn't think it took guts to choose Hischier. I think most people knew Hischier was going to go #1 by the time the draft came.
I recalled it being 50/50 on draft day. Patricks injuries were definitely a concern, but he was still ranked number one because of reputation. Nico was the best player available.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I recalled it being 50/50 on draft day. Patricks injuries were definitely a concern, but he was still ranked number one because of reputation. Nico was the best player available.

Ya, this is how I remember it too....shocked i even remember considering i normally cant remember what I had for breakfast :laugh:

Reactions: Dactyl

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Finland will always be able to find ways to compete, or at least more often than not. A team with smart players that buys into a concept, with a PP, can always compete in a game. OTOH side you will have offensively talented teams that maybe aims a bit to high and haven't yet found perfect chemistry etc, that will be big favorites in a best of 1 game.

The Slovaks/Letts get into more problems because they haven't really had the depth to build a team when selecting their roster, the difference gets so darn big between like the top 10th forward and the top 20th forward. But Finland has that depth, and can find the types they want that are in their prime and in good form etc for the tournament.

Just wait for the QFs, Finland is always a nightmare to play in them...

True, true..

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
How was the rest of Kakkos game...after the first 8 minutes? :)
This is from AK on the main boards:

Got to meet him today after the game. What a great kid. I saw reports that he doesn't speak English, that's not true. I can tell you that.

His game today was great. He was all over the ice. And this was against a star-studded Russian team with Ovechkin, Kucherov, Kuznetsov, Kaprizov, Kovalchuk, Gusev, Malkin, Sergachev and others. Finland outplayed Russia and Kakko had a big part to play in that dominance

Reactions: Cag29

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I’ve learned this the hard way, being a Swede born a slapshot form the Finnish border. You guys always find ways to compete! ;)

For me i see it the same way for the swedes. And our rivalry is important to me. But it's a special rivalry. We still respect one another. And i have mad respect for swedes who analyze and give opinions on finnish hockey/players with out the need to talk down on them or always compare one another. Have a nice day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad