The Seattle Questionmarks and Vegas excemption

Is it OK Vegas is excempt from the draft?

• Total voters

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Congrats to Seattle!

Well, so moving to Central for the Yotes. I guess it's not the worst possible move for you guys, as long as it is just moving from one division to another, and not that other type of move.

Still, unless the Central caves earlier than expected, not nice.

The one thing I react to though, is that Vegas is excempt from the expansion draft. I figure it was part of the deal for Vegas. But as it now will be even one more year before the expansion, compared to in 2020, they will be rather set when it happens.

And it will give them a nasty advantage: they will be the only team to not worry about it for the next two and a half years. They will have the luxury of giving out NMCs if they want to, they will not have to be afraid of losing a player, they even talk about using it to make deals with other teams to take extra advantage of it...

What do you think?

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
To move us to the central was a big mistake.
We will get f***ed without lube and condom from behind.

If we get relocated i am done with the NHL. And if i ever meet bettman, he will get my foot so high up his arse that he can chew on my soles.

Reactions: doaner

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
I dont know, we either get good or we dont. We cant keep hiding in the Pacific and make excuses. I say take on the challenge and make it that much sweeter to beat these teams. Bring it on.

I'm an Astros fan since I was a kid and we did very little and was initially pissed they moved us to the American League...not to long later we win a World Series. You never know.

Reactions: Cowbell

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I'm not upset at all about the Central thing in terms of competition. I like taking on the best teams. I'm more iffy about the travel and lack of geographical rivalry. Best bet would be 'Peg for a rivalry (if we can be good enough to warrant one) just based on history. The extra travel also seems like more cost (if there is indeed extra travel.. I assume so but haven't actually looked into that. Sure it will be brought up at some point) and this team doesn't need extra cost. The drawing power of the teams might be nice enough though. Guess we will see.

For the Vegas thing... I see why it is the way it is. They just paid 500 mil to get into the league... doesn't make sense for the league to weaken them right off the bat after giving them the advantage in the first place. One of the benefits of coughing up that dough recently. Of course, I'd like to see them get a taste of their own medicine and all that, but it doesn't bother me too much.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
Didn't like the way he talked about Seattle had control of all three things needed though...

Strong ownership. Arena. Fanbase.

Yeah, and then he talked about moving Yotes in the next sentence... even if it was just to the central. Got a bad vibe there. But I sometimes over-interpret. And I'm the one, or at least one of the-- eh - ones, who is likely to keep following the Kitchener Coyotes.:naughty:. (Sorry about that. I really don't want it to happen, if I ever manage to haul my corpse over the pond, it should be to somewhere without snow and ice. 'Cause I see enough of it where I live.)

The central is not the problem. All divisions will rise and fall, and the team just won over Wild and Preds, again. And as NYCrunchfan1 just said it: team either gets good or don't get good.

This expansion draft. My impression of the last one was, the more a team fought it, the worse it became. Lose one player. Accept it. Don't fight.

Fewer NMCs would be good though.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I'm not upset at all about the Central thing in terms of competition. I like taking on the best teams. I'm more iffy about the travel and lack of geographical rivalry. Best bet would be 'Peg for a rivalry (if we can be good enough to warrant one) just based on history. The extra travel also seems like more cost (if there is indeed extra travel.. I assume so but haven't actually looked into that. Sure it will be brought up at some point) and this team doesn't need extra cost. The drawing power of the teams might be nice enough though. Guess we will see.

For the Vegas thing... I see why it is the way it is. They just paid 500 mil to get into the league... doesn't make sense for the league to weaken them right off the bat after giving them the advantage in the first place. One of the benefits of coughing up that dough recently. Of course, I'd like to see them get a taste of their own medicine and all that, but it doesn't bother me too much.
Honestly I don't think a rivalry will be an issue. Detroit, Chicago, Winnipeg, and St.Louis are all easy teams to "hate". I think geographically there will be hate with us, Dallas and Colorado. Colorado is a rivalry I'd like to see grow the most.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Honestly I don't think a rivalry will be an issue. Detroit, Chicago, Winnipeg, and St.Louis are all easy teams to "hate". I think geographically there will be hate with us, Dallas and Colorado. Colorado is a rivalry I'd like to see grow the most.

Hopefully the Yotes play well enough to get those rivalries heated. Could be fun!

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
Well, outside of the Jets, we've played fairly well against the Central. They're the only team that scares me right now be sure we keep beating Nashville.

Maybe Colorado is the second hardest matchup for that division.

Dallas, st Louis, Chicago, Minnesota aren't all that scary but maybe it's just me.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
We could, we need to add some mean to the team. Maybe a dirty play or 4 in a season to build up the emotions. Meet in the playoffs in 20/21 21/22. next thing you know, by the 2022-23 season we have ourselves a blossoming rivalry.

Maybe acquire Lemieux's kid (Claude) to use against Colorado for some of that?! Haha. I do look forward to hopefully building something like that. First it requires making the playoffs, I say. Regular season just doesn't let the teams REALLY get that investment like the playoffs do. Then, we have to make the playoffs for several years and end up playing that team. I'm all for that!!

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Well, outside of the Jets, we've played fairly well against the Central. They're the only team that scares me right now be sure we keep beating Nashville.

Maybe Colorado is the second hardest matchup for that division.

Dallas, st Louis, Chicago, Minnesota aren't all that scary but maybe it's just me.
Winnipeg and Colorado look to be very good teams for the foreseeable future. Nashville will be good as long as David Poile is around. The others? Meh.

The travel deal is being overblown....especially if Cohen's comments around NHL support holds true "we appreciate the League’s willingness to assist with logistics and scheduling to make travel as easy as possible between our home in Phoenix and the other Central destinations."

Wait, did he say Phoenix?! :naughty:

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Winnipeg and Colorado look to be very good teams for the foreseeable future. Nashville will be good as long as David Poile is around. The others? Meh.

The travel deal is being overblown....especially if Cohen's comments around NHL support holds true "we appreciate the League’s willingness to assist with logistics and scheduling to make travel as easy as possible between our home in Phoenix and the other Central destinations."

He should have said Scottsdale ;)

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017

Good to hear those comments from Cohen. That's useful!

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I mean, he could just be referring to the Phoenix Metro. Unless I need to, especially to outsiders, most cities are just referenced as Phoenix. I only use actual city names when I need to provide more in depth info.

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
Maybe it's just the fact we are division "rivals" but I can't stand to watch any of the Californian teams. Hate them all. Us moving to the central will make things fresh again, at the cost of a significant rise in competition. Anyone know who is the #1 prospect for 22-23?!?!

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Nine teams in the Pacific Division now.

oOG3SxB.jpg

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Unfair that we go into the Central but the Blues don’t get relegated to the Pacific.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
So, now that it is determined that the Seattle season starts in 21-22 year, this means that the only players we will have signed to that point are:

D OEL
D Chychrun
F Dvorak

RFAs that will be signed longer term or bridge deals include:
F Hinostroza
F Cousins
F Crouse
F Keller
F Fischer
G Hill
F Merkley
D POJ
F Hayton

Take Cousins out, and there are our 7 F, 3 D and 1 G. Still leaves some question marks on Merkley (injury woes) and there could be some internal debate on a player like Hinostroza, but that is the type of player that we could stand to give up if someone better comes along. If we make the decision on NMC or NTC deals, they better be for key free agent signings.

Smooth Chayka. Very smooth.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
NHLPA has to sign off on the division change yet too. My guess is only other option was Calgary and Edmonton moving over with Colorado coming back, but that requires getting three teams to agree to it and three teams to cater scheduling for, rather than just one.

I’m dubious of the claims of this being an advantage for the Coyotes at all, but rather is the cover for justifying why the Canadian teams shouldn’t move because this lets them more easily maintain the west coast tv doubleheader ability and therefore more money for the league due to a better tv contract. This particularly could have come into play whenever they are due to renegotiate the next deal. Perhaps the thinking is with higher revenue from that the Coyotes will come out ahead by letting others do the actual earning there. I’m guessing the league as a whole’s interest there was out weighing any argument they could have made. Put that also in the context of the rumoured sale and Barroway may have even less bargaining power since it won’t directly affect him.

As for Las Vegas being exempt from the expansion process, it doesn’t make sense for a team that just got its prospect pool going to have to be at risk of losing some of it already. Also consider that almost their entire roster should be draft eligible simply because they already were eligible when they got picked to be Knights. So again, they have no real free protections (like 2 year and under players) going on with their team not being built based on the draft and prospects yet.

Reactions: Name Nameless

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
OK, good points by Canis Latrans there with them having very few auto-protected players. Still, don't like the fact they can use this to their advantage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad