The Search for the Next Predators Captain

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I think Fisher as captain does nothing but make sense.

I disagree, unless they want to just have a stop gap captain for one year. The next captain is already on the team. Poile has been on record this summer with local media (the day before the trade) saying that he very much sees Josi as a Captain.

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
Josi will be the captain, bet.
Actually, I asked Thomas Willis on Twitter a few weeks back who he thinks it'll be and he says its between Josi and Fisher. I just don't see us having a short-term captain, though Mike does deserve it.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN

That's funny--I thought the same thing. :laugh:

I think it'll be Josi. I thought it would be Fisher but since he hasn't already been named, I think maybe the team is using the break from Shea as a time to rethink a lot of things. Josi is here for the long term, is reportedly pretty fiery in the locker room, and, while young, is still a veteran of the team.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
If it's not gonna' be Fish, we should just go with all A's this year. I get not wanting to do a short-term captain and all, but right now it just seems clear it ought to be Fish.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
If it's not gonna' be Fish, we should just go with all A's this year. I get not wanting to do a short-term captain and all, but right now it just seems clear it ought to be Fish.

You have something against Josi? And why is Fisher the obvious choice? If he were signed for 3-5 more years yeah I can see that, but with 1 year left on his contract I see several guys as possibilities with no clear choice.

Poile seems to think he could be the next guy.

[fieldset=Poile Thinks Josi Could Be Captain]It seemed like a harmless enough comment Tuesday when he said it.

A day later, after the Nashville Predators traded Shea Weber to Montreal, General Manager David Poile’s assessment of Roman Josi’s leadership skills took on much more weight.

“I think that he’s a potential captain, myself,” Poile said in an interview with the Nashville Post. “I think that he’s got a big influence. I think that the guys like him. I think that he really wants to win. I mean, he’s just the whole package. He’s a complete player and just a really good person and he does the right things.

“What’s there not to like about Roman?”

http://www.nashvillepost.com/sports...d-a-potential-captain-among-current-predators[/fieldset]

Last edited:

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
I think Fish (Mr. Underwood) has brought more fans to the Bridge' than anyone player in the organization and it can be looked at as a lifetime achievement ... so what... IMO he's earned it to put his sweater in a frame after retirement and have the C to remind him how much he's done consistently here. W/O fish there is no game 7 against the Sharks. This should be the show me period for the other 3 (Josi, Johannsen, Forsberg) to sort out our next leader. No disrespect and I think he'll be fine, but until I see them play a season w/o Webs I have no idea who truly deserves it.
sidebar: The "short" time thing could a blessing. I would use this as a bargaining chip if necessary to resign Joey

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
You have something against Josi? And why is Fisher the obvious choice? If he were signed for 3-5 more years yeah I can see that, but with 1 year left on his contract I see several guys as possibilities with no clear choice.

Poile seems to think he could be the next guy.

[fieldset=Poile Thinks Josi Could Be Captain]It seemed like a harmless enough comment Tuesday when he said it.

A day later, after the Nashville Predators traded Shea Weber to Montreal, General Manager David Poile’s assessment of Roman Josi’s leadership skills took on much more weight.

“I think that he’s a potential captain, myself,†Poile said in an interview with the Nashville Post. “I think that he’s got a big influence. I think that the guys like him. I think that he really wants to win. I mean, he’s just the whole package. He’s a complete player and just a really good person and he does the right things.

“What’s there not to like about Roman?â€

http://www.nashvillepost.com/sports...d-a-potential-captain-among-current-predators[/fieldset]
I personally have nothing against Josi (why would anyone?), I'm just not hung up on the one-and-done thing being a dealbreaker. If Josi will be the captain for a long time, that's cool, I just think Fisher is everything you'd like to see in a captain. If he's only in that role for one season I don't think it's a big deal and Josi can just be the one long-term after he retires. But I really don't care.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
W/O fish there is no game 7 against the Sharks. This should be the show me period for the other 3 (Josi, Johannsen, Forsberg) to sort out our next leader. No disrespect and I think he'll be fine, but until I see them play a season w/o Webs I have no idea who truly deserves it.
sidebar: The "short" time thing could a blessing. I would use this as a bargaining chip if necessary to resign Joey

That is a very good point. Fisher does deserve to be rewarded for that goal and he is a senior member who has seen a lot. A period where we see who the Predators are post Weber would probably be time well spent. I don't want to see someone given the C only to have it removed a year later because it wasn't really the right fit.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Not optimum to have a goalie as captain on the ice. Locker room, sure. But on the ice you need to be able to influence the refs and the goalie is kind of stuck in one area of the ice.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I'm too lazy to look it up but how did Luongo get permission to be Captain in Vancouver?
He wasn't the official on ice captain.
Rule 6.1 in the NHL rule book says: "No playing coach or playing manager or goalkeeper shall be permitted to act as captain or alternate captain."
To remain within the rules, Luongo will not wear a C on his jersey. To compensate, the Canucks named defencemen Mattias Ohlund and Willie Mitchell, plus forward Ryan Kesler, as assistant captains. It will be their jobs to discuss calls with officials and take ceremonial faceoffs.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articl...-NHL-rules-in-naming-Luongo-team-captain.html

gratefulpred

Eternal Optimist
Jun 27, 2011
Almo Heights, KY
Ekholm....why not?

Dude lays it all out on the ice is not afraid to mix it up and is not above pointing to the scoreboard at the right time.

He has fought his way into the lineup, is always overlooked by anyone who is not a Nashville fan and has no problem with that. He is almost a microcosm of the team itself.

.....then again i am biased, his is the first named jersey I bought after being a Preds fan for 17 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad