The Scott Stevens School of Defense

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Ultimately it falls on the head coach. Stevens could make recommendations but ultimately it's on Pete/Lou. Stevens is an assistant, specializing in defense. His job is to coach the team defense.

You can rag on him the poor defensive play, sure. But then look at the hand he's been dealt. I doubt he's making personnel decisions.
He's not the normal Assistant Coach, he is Scott Stevens, as much as you want to think that it doesn't play a role, it sure does

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Salvador has been our best DMan

I am not sure if that is good or bad

And that's ****ing alarming. With that said, nothing else needs to be added.

A #28-Harrold pairing is so much weaker then a Gélinas-Fayne pariring. It's just too obvious for management to make the right decision I guess, I just don't know anymore.

theking72

Confucius Ackbar
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
NJ
Well since +/- is the most important stat it's obvious that Zubrus and Zidlicky are our best players at +2 a piece, while Larsson and Carter are our worst at -4 a piece

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
With the way the forwards are playing (or rather NOT playing) team defense - it wouldn't matter if we had the 2000 team's Dsquad back there and Lemaire as coach.

The breakdowns are in the neutral zone, and in coverage by backchecking forwards.

Defensemen have made some mistakes (Salvador's were the worst last night) but it's really on the forwards getting lazy in the third.

Ds88

Jun 21, 2009
In a perfect world for me the d pairs would look like

Greene-Larsson
Gelinas-Fayne
Salvador-Zidlicky

Too bad I know that will never happen.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

With the way the forwards are playing (or rather NOT playing) team defense - it wouldn't matter if we had the 2000 team's Dsquad back there and Lemaire as coach.

The breakdowns are in the neutral zone, and in coverage by backchecking forwards.

Defensemen have made some mistakes (Salvador's were the worst last night) but it's really on the forwards getting lazy in the third.

Please, our blueliners where directly responsible for goals #3 and #4. The first goal was a tap-in at the side of the net, so I don't see how it can linked to our forwards and I don't remember the 2nd goal, sorry.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Please, our blueliners where directly responsible for goals #3 and #4. The first goal was a tap-in at the side of the net, so I don't see how it can linked to our forwards and I don't remember the 2nd goal, sorry.

You must be watching a different game. If you'd like, they do have highlights on the website, where you can see Lokti standing around with his head up his arse while his man, Taylor Hall, goes to the net and scores...

Granted - Volch takes partial credit.

Salvador gets sole credit on Perron's off of the faceoff - you have to tie your man up.

Bernier was in no man's land on the deflection/screen Ference goal.

On the first goal, nobody tied anyone up, so they all suck.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

You must be watching a different game. If you'd like, they do have highlights on the website, where you can see Lokti standing around with his head up his arse while his man, Taylor Hall, goes to the net and scores...

Salvador gets sole credit on Perron's off of the faceoff - you have to tie your man up.

It's just mindboggling that we're throwing the blame on a forward when both blueliners were on the left side of the ice, almost up against the glass. They don't hand out sides for ***** and giggles, they do so in order for both players not be caught off guard, having to defend the same side.

The centerman's job isn't to roam in the crease while two blueliners are battling, on the same side of the ice, in a 5 player scramble. Again, that's the type of coverage we see at the junior level and even at that level, that type of play is unacceptable.

We can try and ignore facts all we want, the bottom line is that our blueline is mediocre at best and the fact that we're not even using our best assets doesn't help our cause one bit.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

The linesman ran interference on him. It was a crappy draw all around.

JerseyGuy276

An American Outlaw
Mar 22, 2010
A Flood Zone
I just don't think you're going to win games when you have 37 year old Bryce Salvador 26 minutes a game. By the way, why does he just continue to flip the puck over the glass constantly.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
This is what I'm scared of, Pete being to scared to say anything because he's a Hall of Famer and Lou's champion.

If Pete gets fired in the season I have no doubt that Stevens takes over as head coach for the remainder of the season.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
If Pete gets fired in the season I have no doubt that Stevens takes over as head coach for the remainder of the season.

**** No.

Dave Barr should get the nod before Stevens. Do we really want to go down that rode again w/a Devils' legend?

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
**** No.

Dave Barr should get the nod before Stevens. Do we really want to go down that rode again w/a Devils' legend?

This team is MUCH better than the one dealt to MacLean.

This is the roster from the 1st game ranked by TOI.

Kovalchuk
Taormina
Tallinder
Volchenkov (20 min!!!!)
Zajac
Greene
Parise
Elias
Arnott
ROlston
White
Clarkson
Zubrus
Langenbrunner
Fraser
Urbom
Pelley
PLLL

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
This team is MUCH better than the one dealt to McClean.

He is the roster from the 1st game ranked by TOI.

Kovalchuk
Taormina
Tallinder
Volchenkov (20 min!!!!)
Zajac
Greene
Parise
Elias
Arnott
ROlston
White
Clarkson
Zubrus
Langenbrunner
Fraser
Urbom
Pelley
PLLL
I do not want to see Stevens as head coach under any circumstance.

There is a reason his coaching is being questioned. Very questionable moves with the personnel on that side of the ice.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I do not want to see Stevens as head coach under any circumstance.

There is a reason his coaching is being questioned. Very questionable moves with the personnel on that side of the ice.

Nobody knows what goes on with the coaching staff. Silly to put blame on people when you don't even know how the operation works.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
Nobody knows what goes on with the coaching staff. Silly to put blame on people when you don't even know how the operation works.

He's not Larry Robinson, that's for **** sure.

While these defensive breakdowns did happen under him, I never saw guys like Larsson and Fayne be shunned like they are now.

The players get **** on all night.....I'd like to know how Fayne went from being the team's most consistent d-men to the 7th guy? It's a fair question.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
He's not Larry Robinson, that's for **** sure.

While these defensive breakdowns did happen under him, I never saw guys like Larsson and Fayne be shunned like they are now.

The players get **** on all night.....I'd like to know how Fayne went from being the team's most consistent d-men to the 7th guy? It's a fair question.

You know Larry Robinson got fired in his first NHL coaching job, right? Great coaches have struggle in their careers as well. I would like to know why Fayne was passed up by Harrold. I loved the Greene - Fayne pair, but I only watch the games and look at the numbers.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You do realize there's a difference between great assistant and great head coach? Larry's always been a great assistant, not a great head coach though he did a better job in '00-01 than he got credit for.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
You do realize there's a difference between great assistant and great head coach? Larry's always been a great assistant, not a great head coach though he did a better job in '00-01 than he got credit for.

What makes you think Stevens isn't a great assistant coach?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What makes you think Stevens isn't a great assistant coach?

I was talking about Larry only...but with Stevens there just isn't enough proof either way. More it's circumstantial evidence against Stevens though (the bizarre rotation last year, constant scratching of Larsson/Fayne - particularly the treatment of Fayne the last couple years since Larry left).

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
And yet everyone on this board wants DeBoer fired. Funny how that double standard works to some people.

The say he has favorites....like he cares about anything other than winning games. He is the that gets fired if they don't win enough. I blame Fayne for not making the top 6(not Pete). Same for JJ which is pretty embarrassing since Gionta is a pretty bad player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad