The Scott Stevens School of Defense

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Since Scott Stevens has become an Assistant Coach, we've seen lots of questionable line-ups on the Defensive side.

The numbers of breakdowns defensively took a bump by approximately 1000%, and at the same time, our goaltenders number of questionable goals allowed took a bump too.

Some people question Deboer's coaching decisions, but he wasn't making them in his first year here, and he never scratched Mark Fayne ( BTW #FreeFayne) in 82 games.

Blame Stevens.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
It could be Stevens, but I hope not, because there's no solution to his coaching errors because he's Scott Stevens and he won't be fired.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
don't agree at all but,

just because someone is fantastically gifted at doing something doesn't mean they are good at teaching it.

For me its all about pure talent and this D isn't up for what is being asked of them. We need to find our "Brunner on D" and that's not another Zidlicky.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
don't agree at all but,

just because someone is fantastically gifted at doing something doesn't mean they are good at teaching it.

For me its all about pure talent and this D isn't up for what is being asked of them. We need to find our "Brunner on D" and that's not another Zidlicky.

Well we need Fayne out there for starters. While not a superstar he has always showed the sense to keep things locked down.

One of the kids might be able to add a spark back there and get some stuff done, but we have no room for them.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
don't agree at all but,

I can't agree with this at all, We had basically the same defense in Pete's first year here, and our defense was much better. As soon as Larry left, and Stevens came in, the number of breakdowns started going up by a wide margin.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
How many people do we blame before we actually blame the team that was playing? We had a 3-0 lead.

It's basically the same defense we had in our playoff run. I'm not sure that it's a coincidence that since Stevens came, our defense sucked.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
I can't agree with this at all, We had basically the same defense in Pete's first year here, and our defense was much better. As soon as Larry left, and Stevens came in, the number of breakdowns started going up by a wide margin.

2012 - 2.54 goals against/game
2011 - 2.50
2010 - 2.52
2009 - 2.27* league leaders

It's been very consistent during Deboer. The dropoff in scoring resulting in fewer wins is what is creating the illusion. Stevens joined in July 2012 as defensive coach - the year the goals for was greater than the goals against. The years before and the year after they were less. He was only special assignment coach the 2 years prior during which we had the league leading GA/G.

2012 - 2.29 goals for/game
2011 - 2.63
2010 - 2.08
2009 - 2.63*

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Defense has gone to **** since Larry left.

Either the old men hit the point of no return...or Stevens is a horrible coach.

And with the way Adam's growth stunted since Larry left I'm going with Stevens is a horrible coach.

MountainGoat

it's so easy to blame the coaches

just look at our blueline, too slow and too old and way too limited offensively. Ziddlicky is the only D that can actually bring the puck up the ice and he's a ****ing defensive liability. No one can blast a slapper or onetimer on the point and no one aside from Larsson can make a decent stretch pass.

sit/buyout/russia Volchenkov asap, sit Harrold, Salvador shouldn't be playing 27 mins a night

Salvador-Zidlicky
Greene-Larsson
Volchenkov-Harrold

ugh just look at that lineup, sickening

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
2011 - 2.50
2010 - 2.52

It's been very consistent during Deboer. The dropoff in scoring resulting in fewer wins is what is creating the illusion. Stevens joined in July 2012 as defensive coach - the year the goals for was greater than the goals against. The years before and the year after they were less. He was only special assignment coach the 2 years prior during which we had the league leading GA/G.

2011 - 2.63
2010 - 2.08
2009 - 2.63*

I didn't realize it was that consistent.

Really any defensive short comings last year falls on Pete and the ever rotating wheel of defenseman. The constant scratchings lead to, at least to the old eye test, more inconsistency, though I think that hurt the break out game and the offense more then the goals against (because we were not getting blown out every night...we just couldnt score a goal for ****).

3 games this year is WAY to small to figure any kind of sample size. If you look at the Islanders game though, and the 3rd period of tonight's game, the D has looked as sloppy as it has ever looked under Pete.

I actually go back to what I said Friday. Sloppy play by the forwards upfront lead to odd man rushes going back through the neutral zones. Poor choices or being out of position on the forecheck lead to bad pinches to keep a play alive and odd-man rushes going the other way.

The system depends on the 5 man unit. It depends on the defense taking part in the offense and the forwards coming back on defense. Everyone needs to be able to play 2 way hockey. So ya the defense is all guys who have played together, but they still have to play and interact with the forwards and there are tons of new ones. If they aren't able to read where a breakout pass needs to go, or where a forward will be so they can cover its going to lead to a sloppy mess.

Chemistry and continuity are two big things that need to develop to clean this up. Another part is...yes we are not icing our strongest 6 guys. Fayne should be playing. He isn't a cure all or a superstar, but what Fayne does best is all these little things. He is great at making a regular play STAY a regular play. Puck battle along the boards? Fayne will do something to make sure it doesn't turn into an easy snipe from the slot out of the blue.

For the better of the team we need Fayne in there developing chemistry and continuity with these guys now.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Since the beginning of the 12-13 season, I began wearing boxer briefs. This is probably the reason for the Devils' increase in blown defensive assignments.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
2011 - 2.50
2010 - 2.52

2011 - 2.63
2010 - 2.08
2009 - 2.63*

Correct. The other thing that skews things a bit is the amount of shootout goals against (when a team loses in a shootout, that counts as a GA) that we gave up in 12-13 compared to 11-12.

The Devils were the best team in the NHL at shot suppression last season. A lot of that might be due to our forwards forechecking ability as much as our defensemen, but I think it certainly proves that our defense isn't horrid.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
It's on the coaches who decides who gets to play, so I blame Deboer as much as Stevens. How can we see what we have in players like Gelinas when they don't even get a shot? I can count a number of times where Volch and Harrold got burned on the outside or handcuffed by one of the Oilers young forwards on a break. You match speed with speed.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009

just look at our blueline, too slow and too old and way too limited offensively. Ziddlicky is the only D that can actually bring the puck up the ice and he's a ****ing defensive liability. No one can blast a slapper or onetimer on the point and no one aside from Larsson can make a decent stretch pass.

sit/buyout/russia Volchenkov asap, sit Harrold, Salvador shouldn't be playing 27 mins a night

Salvador-Zidlicky
Greene-Larsson
Volchenkov-Harrold

I mean that is all true but Lou gave Urbom away to ice that lineup. The personnel decisions from Pete and Lou have been bad this year so far.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
It's on the coaches who decides who gets to play, so I blame Deboer as much as Stevens. How can we see what we have in players like Gelinas when they don't even get a shot? I can count a number of times where Volch and Harrold got burned on the outside or handcuffed by one of the Oilers young forwards on a break. You match speed with speed.

This is how we ended up with enough nuclear weapons to destroy every living thing on earth 4 times over. Pete's clearly a pacifist.

:sarcasm:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i dont think anyone here knows stevens' full level of involvement and policies in different defensive aspects of the team game, but thats never stopped threads before

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
i dont think anyone here knows stevens' full level of involvement and policies in different defensive aspects of the team game, but thats never stopped threads before

Agreed. It's why I haven't criticized Stevens. Until we hear otherwise this is on Pete. 100%.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I just can't imagine Pete telling Stevens that he's against his decision.

He probably can't stare the man in his eyes

theking72

Confucius Ackbar
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
NJ
Scott Stevens School of Defense

I%27m-Gonna-Wreck-It-Ralph.jpg

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I just can't imagine Pete telling Stevens that he's against his decision.

He probably can't stare the man in his eyes

Ultimately it falls on the head coach. Stevens could make recommendations but ultimately it's on Pete/Lou. Stevens is an assistant, specializing in defense. His job is to coach the team defense.

You can rag on him the poor defensive play, sure. But then look at the hand he's been dealt. I doubt he's making personnel decisions.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Salvador-Zidlicky
Greene-Larsson
Volchenkov-Harrold

This post is all we need to know as to why we suck defensively. When you're icing Bryce ****ing Salvador for more then 25 minutes in a game (granted, we did play in OT) or that your 3rd pair is a combination of #28 and Harrold or that you don't have a legit "scoring threat" on each pairing... you'll struggle and that's what we're doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad