Sportsnet: The Score: Systems Analysis of Leafs recent loss to Detroit

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
We could do these as well. But people don't blame Bernier when we lose or give up a late goal.

Instead we focus on the team. Capeesh?

Just wait and see next season when Bernier is no longer the new shiny toy then he will get the same treatment every goalie gets for "losing" games.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
A goalie should not have to steal a game. It is great when they do but if they have to it means the rest of the players are having a bad game.
Some would say Patrick Roy stole a cup for the Canadiens in 86. Usually, goalies who play on their heads in the playoffs "steal" cups almost every year. You'll have a hard time trying to find a goalie who didn't play good and won a cup(not saying it didn't happen)

Polk High

Sep 9, 2009
844366891.gif

Different angle. You're referencing a still frame on a suspect angle, Reimer was square to the shooter when the shot went off. Honestly, telling me that shot should be stopped in the NHL borders arrogance. It's an unreal shot.

Only thing I see here is, Reimer's blocker hand is on an angle opening up the space whwre the puck went. You can also see due to his bkocker hand being at at angle his goal stick is not flat against the ice, which it should be. A very small thing, espescially whwne transitiining into a butterfly but still something that may have stopped a goal. These little details are what set some galies apart from others.

Jeebs

Oct 26, 2011
That last shot was an absolutely SICK shot. If Kessel does that we're talking about how awesome Kessel is.

So Reimer didn't steal the game for us. It obviously hasn't occurred to some people that requiring your goalie to steal most games in order to have a chance at winning means your team sucks.

Edit - fixing auto-correct

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Sorry if this has been posted already, did a search and didn't come up with any matches.

Just came across this article which breaks down the three rush goals against us when facing the wings on Tuesday.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2014/...rush-chances-to-beat-the-leafs-whos-to-blame/

I found it to be pretty in-depth and great breakdown of how we allowed those three rush goals (2 by Nyquist and 1 by Alfy..).

The article seems to vindicate critics of our D-core, with a couple shots at the defensive coverage of Bozak slipped in there. Basically, the defense made some pretty glaring errors which led to those goals, and broken down frame by frame it's pretty damning evidence that our blue line is leaving Reimer out to dry.

l2-590x297.jpg

Yes, the other thing to note about the article is that it takes a shot at those who criticize Reimer for bad play (at least during this game). Essentially, when it comes to Reimer's responsibility, I think the author sufficiently proved that Reimer had pretty much no chance on any of the goals.

The specific defensemen that dropped the ball were Franson, Gleason, and Gardiner...

Anyway, I love this stuff so I just wanted to share!

You and the Author are wrong. The 2nd goal needed to be and should have been stopped.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
Let's not confuse the issue with facts.
He should do a defensive breakdown from the whole season, it would just turn into a Dr. Strangelove situation... start out as a serious work and then, realizing how completely outlandish the whole thing is, it naturally turns into a comedy.
Coach Carlyle...How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Our Defense.

edit: We all know Reimer won't be here next year but Franson (and Clarkson) are 2 guys that shouldn't be anywhere near the lineup either. Franson was below pathetic on 2 of those goals and it's the same point I made at the time. What a glacial reaction to the obvious fact that his partner was in a world of trouble and that 2-on-1 might as well have been a 2-on-0 for all he accomplished. And he's been doing this stuff all season long, game in and game out with a little repreive when he got his ice time cut. This guy seriously needs to not be here next year.

Last edited:

dissociater

Feb 21, 2008
The leafs are hardly the only team in the NHL that has defensive breakdowns. Even a lot of them. But good goalies will find ways to make big stops when the team really needs it. Reimer, lately, has been good for 1-2 soft goals a game, and often lets in another 1-2 goals that are good goals but stoppable. Sometimes you need a goalie to bail out your team when they give up a scoring chance.

I think what frustrates people the most is that Reimer isn't showing improvement for a young goalie, but is stagnating and seems to be actually getting a bit worse. His flaws as a goalie were all pointed out more than a year ago: weak glove hand, fights the puck, gives up big fat stinking rebounds (when you can't predict where your goalie is going to kick the puck to, or he can't handle shots, it just exacerbates the defensive problems the Leafs have). It's the same in 2014 as it was in 2011. I think people were hoping for improvement from a 26 year old.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
The leafs are hardly the only team in the NHL that has defensive breakdowns. Even a lot of them. But good goalies will find ways to make big stops when the team really needs it. Reimer, lately, has been good for 1-2 soft goals a game, and often lets in another 1-2 goals that are good goals but stoppable. Sometimes you need a goalie to bail out your team when they give up a scoring chance.

Are you describing Reimer & Bernier here, or just Reimer?

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
Toronto is the 26th. best defensive team in the league.

Analyze that!

26th with what has been (for the most part) stellar and often out-of-this-world goaltending.
If this team had season-long average goaltending, I'm fully confident we would be last by a country mile.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
844366891.gif

Different angle. You're referencing a still frame on a suspect angle, Reimer was square to the shooter when the shot went off. Honestly, telling me that shot should be stopped in the NHL borders arrogance. It's an unreal shot.

This is an excellent view on how great a shot it was. Fast and put exactly where it needed to be to go in. It looks like it had absolutely no space to move laterally without either hitting his blocker or the outside of the post. Fantastic shot by Nyqvist.

But! ..... Reimer had a lot more room to crowd the net at that angle. He's a big guy, and anyone who shoots from that side shouldn't be able to score if the goalie is in proper position.

Having said that, and speaking about position, our D is always out of position. Not by mear inches, like Reimer, but at times, dozens of feet. The problem is not the goalies, but the D, almost every time.

Bernier wouldn't have faired that much better, IMO, but I do think he is better. The goals that got by Reimer weren't the usual rebound problem goals he lets in. It was all on the D, every time. Our D has been terrible lately. What a coincidence that they are also scoring more.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
The Nyquist breakaway goal was worse than the bad angle goal. Sure it was a breakaway but he completely botched it and it should have been an easy save. If that is a typical Nyquist breakaway then I doubt you will ever see him in the shootout.

Durkin67

This isn't going to get popular because its actual logic to why the game wasn't Reimer's fault. That's not really a popular opinion right now.

The only goal Leaf fans should be upset with is possibly the first one. Still, when your defence gives up a breakaway does it really make any sense to blame the goalie?

On the third goal, Reimer shrinks back when he tries, rather lethargically to square up to Alfie who gets the shot just after Reims pushes off. Franson read the play correctly and made a good effort to intercept. If Franny can anticipate the pass effectively, Reims should have. He gave up far too much by shrinking back into the net, and his own stick literally propelled the puck through his five hole.

While Kronwall made a smart, but lucky play (Check Reemer and Bozak all alone in front of the net while he moves laterally to the half-wall), had he bobbled or had Gardiner been in better position to take away the chip off the glass option, the result would be the two high Red Wing forwards badly out of position with one of the most explosive tandems in the NHL (Reemer and Kessel) plus Bozak and Gardiner all in position to inflict damage.

If I'm Carlyle I'm talking to Jake about being tighter to the boards to take away the breakout option and force Kronwall to try and skate it out.

Goal-scorer's release be damned, If I'm Reimer, I'm readily admitting that the lateral movement was sluggish, the stick position suspect, and there was too much space given by shrinking back. Alfie is at the top of the slot and half the blue paint is in front of Reimer.

Second goal= team being outworked and a good active stick by Nyquist to burn the defender. If you look closely, Reims may be square to the shooter, but he sure aint square to the puck and he's cheating short side. it deflected off his equipment, post and in. Had he not been cheating, it would have (should have) gone off his gear and into the far corner. Don't believe me? look how much further past the short side goal post Reims' left leg is. Kudos to the shooter for doing a nice job of pulling him over so far to let off a great shot.

First goal was nothing but a great individual effort by Nyqvist, whose speed and active stick made mincemeat of the Leafs. That and a really, really bad bobble by Reimer.

All the scientific analysis in the world doesnt refute the fact that all three goals were as much a result of substandard goaltending as they were defensive breakdowns. On all three occasions, the Wings challenged the D at the blue line and on all three occasions, they out worked the visiting team.

Sorry Reimer apologists, he had a pretty poor showing, as did the rest of the group.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
The Nyquist breakaway goal was worse than the bad angle goal. Sure it was a breakaway but he completely botched it and it should have been an easy save. If that is a typical Nyquist breakaway then I doubt you will ever see him in the shootout.

I realize Reimer's in a crisis right now but this must be the only fanbase that would look at a goal like this and blast the goaltender apart.
Look at the 3 goals scored in LA against the great Jonathan Quick. El stinko, if Reimer had let those goals in, you'd never hear the end of it.
Watch the first minute of the 2nd period, after Reimer has come in cold. Lose a faceoff...check, glide through the neutral zone...check, establish posession in our zone like a knife through butter...check, dangerous scoring chance 1 and 2 and 3...check. He barely had time to straighten his mask. It's a comedy show.
The expectations for the goaltenders here are unreal, how about somebody throw Carlyle into the ocean and get a coach in here who can work with what he's got (admittedly little) and teach them to play any semblance of defense.
All the Reimer hate is just masking the real problems with this team. One more example: the seeing-eye first goal vs Tampa. Screen the goaltender, lose a faceoff. Kadri 78th out of 83 for centers in faceoffs. For a 7th overall pick. Inexcusable. But does anyone even mention that? Nope, too busy hating on Reimer.

cack

Jul 30, 2013
I'm sorry? Bernier by far has had more Toksala moments this year alone than Reimer has had in his whole career. Take off the blinders.

All elite goalies let in stinkers, the issue with Reimer is he lets in stinkers and is only an average goalie at best. Take YOUR blinders off.

cack

Jul 30, 2013
A goalie should not have to steal a game. It is great when they do but if they have to it means the rest of the players are having a bad game.

Tim Thomas stole games for an excellent defensive team the same way Jonathan Quick stole games for an excellent defensive team. Those teams also have something else in common because their goalies had the ability to steal games for them, a Stanley Cup.

According to you a goalie should not have to steal games when in fact an elite goalie with this ability is a prerequisite.

Jeebs

Oct 26, 2011
Tim Thomas stole games for an excellent defensive team the same way Jonathan Quick stole games for an excellent defensive team. Those teams also have something else in common because their goalies had the ability to steal games for them, a Stanley Cup.

According to you a goalie should not have to steal games when in fact an elite goalie with this ability is a prerequisite.

Are you arguing the Quick or Thomas having to steal the occasional game is the same as Bernier or Reimer having to steal nearly EVERY game, cause they're consistently outshot on a massive basis?

cack

Jul 30, 2013
Are you arguing the Quick or Thomas having to steal the occasional game is the same as Bernier or Reimer having to steal nearly EVERY game, cause they're consistently outshot on a massive basis?

Thomas and Quick stole a lot more than the occasional game for their teams.

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario
I've said this so many times and don't know why I keep saying it but...

Reimer wasn't the reason we lost. However, you can't just not blame goaltenders when tough goals get past them (eg. Breakaways, "perfect shots"). Goaltenders are primarily signed to make tough saves. This is what makes a capable goalie; the fact that they can make tough saves and bail their teams out.

What are we going to judge Reimer's game on? The fact that he made routine saves? The second a shot challenges him and he doesn't save it the narrative is "it's not his fault." How can you absolve him of all responsibility? This is why he's signed.

Literally the main way people are judging goalies right now is:

- Does he allow ****** goals in?
- Does he make routine saves?
- Does he make saves that bail the team out? (If not, it's not his fault. If so, then he's incredible)

There are no negatives to not bailing your team out with this narrative. This is literally the primary reason you sign a goalie. If the guy allows 100% of shots that are "tough" to save, how the hell can you begin to describe him as a good goalie?

Reimer may not have been the reason that we lost but his job is to bail us out when there's a mistake. I'm not asking for 100% efficiency from him in tough situations but good God, any sort of action that will let our team think that the other team isn't scoring after a mistake would help.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00