The Scheifele appreciation thread

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I don't normally ask this, if anything I'm usually the guy correcting others, but how is the name supposed to be pronounced? I have heard it one way during a game, but have heard radio guys and fans say it different.

Is it very french? Sounding like the past tense of a woman falling, "She-fell"?
Or is it very english? Like a flea that is nervous to talk to other fleas, "Shy-flea"?

The nervous flea. Although I've heard some broadcasters pronounce it like a flea who's getting on in years, or likes to tap-dance: Sheif-Ehhh-Lee

Reactions: iSophagus

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I don't normally ask this, if anything I'm usually the guy correcting others, but how is the name supposed to be pronounced? I have heard it one way during a game, but have heard radio guys and fans say it different.

Is it very french? Sounding like the past tense of a woman falling, "She-fell"?
Or is it very english? Like a flea that is nervous to talk to other fleas, "Shy-flea"?
/´ʃaɪflɪ/. The final /ɪ/ may be a prolonged one.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
It's 'Fefe' after he came out (for warmup?) in a misspelled jersey.

Last year, when Scheif was doing the PPG thing, I thought alright, this is the peak, I can live with PPG Scheifele for another 5+ years. But he just doesn't stop. We don't know where the peak is for him yet.

One thing that just struck me - there was a picture taken a few days ago with him, Dmitry Kulikov and Adam Oates studying up. Oates trains/trained Scheifele, but we also heard during UFA season that Scheifele skated with Kulikov and vetted him before signing a contract. Since the beginning of the season, Kulikov has defied most Jets fans' expectations, he's been a considerable upgrade on Mark Stuart. I'm pretty sure Scheifele also encouraged management to pick Kyle Connor during the 2015 draft, as much of a no-brainer as it was. Scheifele isn't just making a difference on the ice, he's a major part of our scouting and development behind the scenes, too. Our first pick ever could be the best one this franchise ever makes.

Whaaaaat? Do you have any evidence for this?

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
It's 'Fefe' after he came out (for warmup?) in a misspelled jersey.

Whaaaaat? Do you have any evidence for this?
BylssYuCAAAW50T.jpg

It was a pre season game against Calgary iirc.

m.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Clearly you are one that likes to double down when wrong the first time. Currently #5 in points in the league, getting better by leaps and bounds each year, and surrounded by young up and comers. Whats to stop him from winning a scoring title some day?

You missed the point.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
the Peg is my #2 team and i'm still ROYALLY pssd they stole that cap hit , any debate on what he is, is a simple argument

he is a bonafide #1 C getting a solid #2c cap hit and thats all you need to know and the rest can cry into their shreddies:laugh:

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
He's better than Laine. For now and imo still a few years before the young winger is more valuable. Scheifele plays all situation, plays physical, skates very fast, has amazing hands and vision and a lethal arsenal of shot. Also has an unbelievable drive to always get better and study the game and he gives top notch effort every game.

Hes a top-10 plauer in my book, and Winnipegs MVP for regular season amd playoffs.

Reactions: 99664987

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Mark is completely untouchable......not many players I would trade him for straight up when you consider his skill, results, personality, age, term on contract and cap hit. Top 5 contract in the NHL......the guy is solid gold.

Reactions: libertarian

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
One other factor that's hard to validate but we know is true is Scheifele's contract having a trickle down effect on the rest of the roster.

Yes theres different scenarios like ufa years, time of signing, different caps. But ultimately it's set the bar for other extensions. Ehlers for 6, little for 5.2. No way a guy like Laine, hell even Wheeler could say they deserve 3, 4 more per year than a guy like Scheifele.

That contract is a real feather in Cheveldayoffs hat.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
One other factor that's hard to validate but we know is true is Scheifele's contract having a trickle down effect on the rest of the roster.

Yes theres different scenarios like ufa years, time of signing, different caps. But ultimately it's set the bar for other extensions. Ehlers for 6, little for 5.2. No way a guy like Laine, hell even Wheeler could say they deserve 3, 4 more per year than a guy like Scheifele.

That contract is a real feather in Cheveldayoffs hat.
That just might ultimately drive other players away though. They may see or even get offered more somewhere else, putting the Jets in the position where they have to match or lose the player. The Jets will still have to pay others what they have to pay others to keep them on the team, regardless of Scheifele's contract.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
That just might ultimately drive other players away though. They may see or even get offered more somewhere else, putting the Jets in the position where they have to match or lose the player. The Jets will still have to pay others what they have to pay others to keep them on the team, regardless of Schiefele's contract.

Yeah that's a good point. That's definitely the other side of the coin.

So far it's had positive effects on other extensions though and thats all we can go by for now

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If the Jets win this year, Scheif will be the new Toews. 5 years ago many said Toews was better than Sid, he’s that kind of player.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
What I find most interesting about him is that there are 15-20 kids that come into the league each year with the same more natural talent than he has. Scheifele seems to willed himself to becoming one of the best players in the world based entirely on his own determination. Its incredible.
I think you're underestimating his natural talent. You can't will yourself to be a ppg player in this league without having a boatload of natural talent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad