The Scheifele appreciation thread

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
So since little went down almost two years ago now Mark Scheifele has been an absolute stud. Not going to go look up the numbers or anything, but I'm pretty sure he's been above ppg since that happened.

Just feel like he's a bit under appreciated around here and wanted to give him his own thread.

I see him listed in the top 5 centres quite often which is pretty fair, but with the way this year is going and with the way last year went, would you all consider him a top 10 player in the league at this point? Despite him being ranked highly around here, he still doesn't get as much discussion as some of the other names on these main boards. I think he deserves it too...

He's come a long way and the jets made out like bandits with this pick (which was chastised a lot at the time...)

Easily my favourite non-leaf in the game.

Anyways, I look forward to hopefully reading some good discussion on this kid. Please don't turn this into a Laine vs matthews thread either everyone. There's enough of that elsewhere...

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Schiefele

The catalyst of the Jets team.

Jets most important player

Followed him in the ohl

Im waiting for him to go in super saiyan mode if the Jets make the playoffs. Similar to what he did in the OHL.

I can still remember his performance against that power house London Knights.

His first rookie training camp. Force the team to play him in the regular aeason even though his body physically was not ready.

His prospect tournament . It was almost to funny when the coaching staff were just using him as Defensive forward. All defensive zone starts.

All time favorite player.
Great team player

Already shown tremendous leadership.

Believed in this kid from the beginning.
You know he had the offense but now he is all around impact player.

Go Scheifele
Go Jets Go

Kid wants to be one of the best and he is putting all his effort to achieve it on and off the ice.

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
What makes Scheifele so successful is that he pretty much excels at every facet of the game (except faceoffs). He has soft hands, an excellent passer, an accurate shot, defensively sound, is an absolute beast on the forecheck, durable as they come, rarely takes penalties, fast, strong on his skates and has one of the best hockey IQs in the game. He has shown constant improvement every year and he personally strives to be one of the best in the game. He's so crazy and obsessed about hockey that Chevy had to call up Hawerchuck (his junior coach at the time) at the draft to see if this guy was for real. He just loves the game and it rubs off on everyone around him. The Jets are lucky to have him.

Reactions: jetsforever

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
I would hope that he would be routinely included in a discussion as a top 5 centerman in the NHL.
Although he is consistent, responsible, and offensively gifted I don’t think he is quite a top 10 player yet. Getting close though.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Shhhhhhh.

He's nothing special , the Jets are average also. Nothing to see here. Everyone go back to sleep.

Nonsense!! He deserves all the praise and more :)! I just want to read some discussion on my favourite non-leaf, so this thread is a tad selfish on my behalf...

Kids been an absolute dynamo the last 2 years!
What makes Scheifele so successful is that he pretty much excels at every facet of the game (except faceoffs). He has soft hands, an excellent passer, an accurate shot, defensively sound, is an absolute beast on the forecheck, durable as they come, rarely takes penalties, fast, strong on his skates and has one of the best hockey IQs in the game. He has shown constant improvement every year and he personally strives to be one of the best in the game. He's so crazy and obsessed about hockey that Chevy had to call up Hawerchuck (his junior coach at the time) at the draft to see if this guy was for real. He just loves the game and it rubs off on everyone around him. The Jets are lucky to have him.
His face off numbers are actually improving a bit as well. I do believe he is at about 50% right now.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Scheifele is easily my favorite player. His dedication level to the game is off the charts. He just may be the biggest hockey nerd in the league. A few years back he hired his own skills coach and does little else other than work on his game. Apparently, he watches hockey as a pass time and tries to pick up the best parts of his opponent's games. He trains relentlessly and only eats foods that are best suited for his genetic make up including a certain type of imported water. Someone referred to him as a cyborg on the Jets board and it was a perfect description.

He has been well above a PPG since about the mid point of the 2015-16 season after Little went down and he was moved into the #1 center role on the Jets. And best of all he signed a sweet team friendly 8 year deal and he is only in year 2 and is already grossly underpaid :)

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Definitely a tremendous player, and an excellent pick by the Jets. I recall many thought he was a reach on draft day lol

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
4th highest scoring Center last year, 2nd this year. I would not go as far as calling him underrated, but in terms of people not mentioning him as one of the best young Centers in the game. I guess a case can be made for this. May be the 2nd best Center behind McDavid, in the often talked about grouping of Eichel, Matthews, Barkov elite group of young Centers under 24. Was on the young guns World cup team.

Reactions: KapG

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Yes, I wouldn't call him underrated either. Just don't see a lot of discussion about him which is surprising given how dominating he's been since little went down.

Kids unreal and seems to keep improving year after year.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Definitely a tremendous player, and an excellent pick by the Jets. I recall many thought he was a reach on draft day lol

You could almost hear the "price is right" fail sound when Chevy said his name at the draft.

He's definitly my favorite player and destined to be an NHL captain. He's a player I hope to see raise the Stanley Cup in his career (no matter the team but preferebly with the Jets).

Reactions: Monkey D Luffy

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He's a bit of a weird one for me, in terms of ranking him.

He's obviouslty awesome, elite C but I don't see him taking games over by himself like that too much, but he just keeps putting up the points game after game.
Jets F group is set for a long, long time with Scheifele leading the way as #1C.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
You could almost hear the "price is right" fail sound when Chevy said his name at the draft.

He's definitly my favorite player and destined to be an NHL captain. He's a player I hope to see raise the Stanley Cup in his career (no matter the team but preferebly with the Jets).
He was just the opposite of "sexy" pick. Given his odd sounding name, size, production, and Canadian passport, it seemed alot had him pegged as a safe middle 6 guy.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Remember all that talk during the summer about him regressing this year, his shot metrics not sustainable? Guess who is on pace for 101 points this year and is leading his team in shooting %?

Add to the fact his contract and age........make this guy one of the most valuable players in the NHL. Pure stud

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
And to think than he was lovingly referred to as Bambi on the Jets HF in his first couple of years. Best thing about him is his character, just a great guy on and off the ice.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
And to think than he was lovingly referred to as Bambi on the Jets HF in his first couple of years. Best thing about him is his character, just a great guy on and off the ice.

Agreed, he has to be one of the most likeable guys out there. He bleeds Jets colour, love the city & team. Untouchable

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Scheifele has become an outstanding offensive player. He's an absolute terror on the forecheck, and then has outstanding puck skills, vision and a grade A shot to finish. He's also one of the fastest and fittest players in the league, with a great motor.

For me, he just needs to ramp up his intensity a bit in the D zone to reach his full potential. He and Wheeler have cheated a bit for break-outs this year. I think he'll clamp down defensively as the season progresses, and into the playoffs.

Reactions: Hunter368

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Agreed, he has to be one of the most likeable guys out there. He bleeds Jets colour, love the city & team. Untouchable

Oh, and also $6.125M x 8 years. That is just outstanding for the Jets going forward. I think Scheifele wanted to commit to bringing Winnipeg a winner.

Reactions: 4th Line Beast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad