NYC
It's not the schedule that will bury him, it's the following:

1) Questionable starting goalie
2) Bad wingers (slow or unproven)
3) Bad backup goalie
4) Bad coaching
5) A defense with no #1 or #2 defender
6) Rushing young players into the NHL

So pretty much the same exact Oilers team before the first rebuild and before they got McDavid

Reactions: BHD

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
that's a tough schedule for sure .if they can hover around 500 after it they will be fine seeing how their 2nd half is a lot easier

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
It matters because you can absolutely break a team like the Oilers right out of the gate with a Schedule like that. Give them a back to back against the Canucks followed by the Coyotes and the Canadiens and they'll be off to a good start with some much needed confidence. Then they can actually surprise and pull out a few wins against top teams like these as well.
It's not the NHL's job to give the Oilers "confidence". Dear God.

Reactions: Kchawk and Javaman

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
That's 6 games against the top 4 teams from last year and 2 more games against the Stanley Cup Champions in the first 15 games. The only really weak team in the first 15 games is the Red Wings. Worst case scenario the Oilers go 1-12-2 in their first 15 games and then it's pretty much game over once they're in a hole like that.

On top of that Oilers also play the bottom 6 from last year (Sabres, Senators, Coyotes, Canadiens, Red Wings and Canucks) only 2 times in their first 33 games. And then 14 times in their last 49 games. Everybody who knows math and statistics know that that deviates too much from the mean to be just a coincidence.

a) This assumes that great teams of 2017-2018 will all be as great or better in 2018-2019...which is not true.

b) I prefer playing the bottom of the league in 2nd half of the season. In 1st half they wanna prove they are better than they were last season (example Senators and Canadiens). But if they still suck (which there is great chance of), they will just wish for the season to end as early as possible and won't have ''the knife between the teeth'' in 2nd half of the season...so technically easier wins.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
We see it pretty much every year. Teams that dig themselves into a big hole right away, have a really hard time making the playoffs. Most of them miss, even if some of them can get close. The only positive example is the 2012 Kings...
2016 Penguins

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
a) This assumes that great teams of 2017-2018 will all be as great or better in 2018-2019...which is not true.

b) I prefer playing the bottom of the league in 2nd half of the season. In 1st half they wanna prove they are better than they were last season (example Senators and Canadiens). But if they still suck (which there is great chance of), they will just wish for the season to end as early as possible and won't have ''the knife between the teeth'' in 2nd half of the season...so technically easier wins.
hopefully those good teams start sluggish. a lot of them do. I'd rather player the worse teams in the second half .

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Not nearly as much as how good you are does.
Tell that to the 2010-11 Devils who went on a 28-10-3 run to close out the season and still missed the playoffs. Easily one of the best teams that year and they missed because of a bad start to the season...

Reactions: SenzZen

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Tell that to the 2010-11 Devils who went on a 28-10-3 run to close out the season and still missed the playoffs. Easily one of the best teams that year and they missed because of a bad start to the season...

If they can't beat the other teams they don't deserve to get in. Bad start is still part of the season.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
LOLOLOLOL oilers fans already starting the excuses for yet ANOTHER horrendous season. Colour me shocked at all these oilers fans in this thread

It’s pretty common knowledge that edmonton is a below average (to put it very gently) team and will need everything to go perfect in order to sneak in to the playoffs. That’s no secret. (Even considering they play in the weakest division in the Pacific)

Reactions: Kanye

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
LOLOLOLOL oilers fans already starting the excuses for yet ANOTHER horrendous season. Colour me shocked at all these oilers fans in this thread

It’s pretty common knowledge that edmonton is a below average (to put it very gently) team and will need everything to go perfect in order to sneak in to the playoffs. That’s no secret. (Even considering they play in the weakest division in the Pacific)
Well I'm not an Oilers fan, I'm actually a Leafs fan too. I just feel like the Oilers are getting screwed with the Schedule this upcomming season...

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Excited to see Edmonton fall flat on their faces again right out of the gate. Good times, boys

I don't want to see them fall flat. The potential to draft Hughes? that is a hard NO. Eventually they will draft enough pieces, and with McJesus on that team, it would be horrible for anybody playing them.

I don't hate the Oil, but it would be nice to see them play well, and have more Canadian teams in the playoffs.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Where are the similar threads from the rest of the Pacific teams. They play the same teams.
They don't have nearly as hard of a start as the Oilers. For example the Ducks play the Sharks, Coyotes, Red Wings and Coyotes in their first 4 games. That's an easy 3-1-0 right there...

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
They don't have nearly as hard of a start as the Oilers. For example the Ducks play the Sharks, Coyotes, Red Wings and Coyotes in their first 4 games. That's an easy 3-1-0 right there...

Coyotes always play the Ducks hard. Def not easy 3-1

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
To be serious, I don't see it as much of an issue. If you have a hard schedule early on it means you have a lighter schedule down the line. If they fall in a hole early season it really doesn't hurt them as they can make up the points later. The only downfall being that Oilers fans will likely have endure the dumb threads that start up the first 10 games of the season every year for any team that stumbles out of the gate. Its a long season and it will balance out.

If falling behind in the standings in the first 20 games breaks the moral of your team, then it was a mentally weak team that wasn't going to make the playoffs anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad