The Schedule will absolutely bury McDavid and the Oilers in 2018-19

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
So with the upcomming season I took a look at the Schedule to see who would benefit and who would get screwed over. And I must say I was absolutely shocked when I looked at the Oilers Schedule. I thought maybe they would give McDavid and the Oilers a bit of a boost with the Schedule to give them a better shot at making the playoff. Well that's not happening. The first 15 games for the Oilers are absolutely brutal:
Game 1: Devils
Game 2: Bruins
Game 3: Rangers
Game 4: Jets
Game 5: Bruins
Game 6: Predators
Game 7: Penguins
Game 8: Capitals
Game 9: Predators
Game 10: Blackhawks
Game 11: Wild
Game12: Blackhawks
Game 13: Red Wings
Game 14: Capitals
Game 15: Lightning

That's 6 games against the top 4 teams from last year and 2 more games against the Stanley Cup Champions in the first 15 games. The only really weak team in the first 15 games is the Red Wings. Worst case scenario the Oilers go 1-12-2 in their first 15 games and then it's pretty much game over once they're in a hole like that.

On top of that Oilers also play the bottom 6 from last year (Sabres, Senators, Coyotes, Canadiens, Red Wings and Canucks) only 2 times in their first 33 games. And then 14 times in their last 49 games. Everybody who knows math and statistics know that that deviates too much from the mean to be just a coincidence.

Seems like the Oilers are going to have an uphill battle if they want to make the playoffs and McDavid as wel,l if he wants to win the Art Ross, Hart and Lindsay.

So what do you guys think, will McDavid and the Oilers overcome the odds against them? And is there a case for any other team to have a worse Schedule to start the season than the Oilers?

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
So with the upcomming season I took a look at the Schedule to see who would benefit and who would get screwed over. And I must say I was absolutely shocked when I looked at the Oilers Schedule. I thought maybe they would give McDavid and the Oilers a bit of a boost with the Schedule to give them a better shot at making the playoff. Well that's not happening. The first 15 games for the Oilers are absolutely brutal:

That's 6 games against the top 4 teams from last year and 2 more games against the Stanley Cup Champions in the first 15 games. The only really weak team in the first 15 games is the Red Wings. Worst case scenario the Oilers go 1-12-2 in their first 15 games and then it's pretty much game over once they're in a hole like that.

On top of that Oilers also play the bottom 6 from last year (Sabres, Senators, Coyotes, Canadiens, Red Wings and Canucks) only 2 times in their first 33 games. And then 14 times in their last 49 games. Everybody who knows math and statistics know that that deviates too much from the mean to be just a coincidence.

Seems like the Oilers are going to have an uphill battle if they want to make the playoffs and McDavid as wel,l if he wants to win the Art Ross, Hart and Lindsay.

So what do you guys think, will McDavid and the Oilers overcome the odds against them? And is there a case for any other team to have a worse Schedule to start the season than the Oilers?

I mean...so? The schedule doesn't change for any team in terms of how many times they play every team in the league, it's the same setup for every team in the league. One at home, one away against teams in the opposite conference, X amount of games in-conference, X-amount of games in-division. The only things that actually hurt a team's chances are what division/conference they're in because you're going to play more games in-division/conference and less out of conference.

What does the order they play the teams matter? All the games are worth the same amount of points at any given point in the season and they would have to had played them at some point regardless. Only thing there that could hurt a team is if they're doing an inordinate amount of travel in a small amount of time, which I can't tell because you just listed matchups and not home/away splits or days in between games.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't think there is much problem with it.

Our team is its own worst enemy. If our team plays like it has proved it can, then there's no such thing as a tough opponent for us. If our team has injury issues again, or off-ice distractions like last season, or if our coaching cannot figure out simply special teams again, then there's no such thing as an easy opponent.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
I mean...so? The schedule doesn't change for any team in terms of how many times they play every team in the league, it's the same setup for every team in the league. One at home, one away against teams in the opposite conference, X amount of games in-conference, X-amount of games in-division. The only things that actually hurt a team's chances are what division/conference they're in because you're going to play more games in-division/conference and less out of conference.

What does the order they play the teams matter? All the games are worth the same amount of points at any given point in the season and they would have to had played them at some point regardless. Only thing there that could hurt a team is if they're doing an inordinate amount of travel in a small amount of time, which I can't tell because you just listed matchups and not home/away splits or days in between games.
It matters because you can absolutely break a team like the Oilers right out of the gate with a Schedule like that. Give them a back to back against the Canucks followed by the Coyotes and the Canadiens and they'll be off to a good start with some much needed confidence. Then they can actually surprise and pull out a few wins against top teams like these as well.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL

Nah, that means the oilers will be hot down the stretch against the weak teams and will have fan momentum in the playoffs if they make it meaning ratings. It also will mean fans hope if they aren’t in like say they are 7 points out in February but their fans can hope for playoffs since they have a soft late schedule (hypothetical)

Reactions: Catbug

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
It matters because you can absolutely break a team like the Oilers right out of the gate with a Schedule like that. Give them a back to back against the Canucks followed by the Coyotes and the Canadiens and they'll be off to a good start with some much needed confidence. Then they can actually surprise and pull out a few wins against top teams like these as well.
Better yet, why not play the entire season solely against the projected bottom 5 teams, that'd be more fair in my books.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009

The implication being that they are incredibly weak people mentally, to the point where they'll lose all confidence and ability in the first half of the season? Newsflash, if they're that weak mentally or they are incapable of beating good teams then they probably aren't playoff material to begin with.

Reactions: Bedards Dad

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Yes it’s a hard schedule. Look on the brightside though, if they come out of it .500 they will set themselves up nicely. From experience, it’s good to get the tough teams out of the way first IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sensators

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Nah, that means the oilers will be hot down the stretch against the weak teams and will have fan momentum in the playoffs if they make it meaning ratings. It also will mean fans hope if they aren’t in like say they are 7 points out in February but their fans can hope for playoffs since they have a soft late schedule (hypothetical)
We see it pretty much every year. Teams that dig themselves into a big hole right away, have a really hard time making the playoffs. Most of them miss, even if some of them can get close. The only positive example is the 2012 Kings...

Reactions: SenzZen

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
We see it pretty much every year. Teams that dig themselves into a big hole right away, have a really hard time making the playoffs. Most of them miss, even if some of them can get close. The only positive example is the 2012 Kings...
IF they dig them self into a hole early they don’t deserve to make the playofss

Reactions: Pure and kmart

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.

You play who you play. The order doesn't much matter.
Get over it.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
The implication being that they are incredibly weak people mentally, to the point where they'll lose all confidence and ability in the first half of the season? Newsflash, if they're that weak mentally or they are incapable of beating good teams then they probably aren't playoff material to begin with.
Oilers made the playoffs in 2017 with pretty much the same team as a result of a good start to the season. Last year they struggled out of the gate and missed the playoffs. It matters how you start the season...

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
It might actually help them, sometimes good teams take a couple weeks to get back into the swing of things...
Well lets hope Ovechkin has been out partying and taming strange all summer long so he'll be off to a slow start. Then the Oilers might have a shot against the Capitals at least...

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
It really doesn't matter. If you are playing good hockey you are going to win games, if not, you are going to lose games. The Oilers didn't have a bad season last year because they were playing good hockey and losing games to better teams, they were losing because they played bad hockey and losing games against any team good or bad.

If they are not motivated enough after last season to come out hard and play well to start the season, there is likely not much to look forward to, no matter who they are playing. Some of their better played games last season were against quality teams, so it might be a good thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad