The San Jose Sharks are horror-bad

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Literally no one thinks this
to be fair there is one troll-ish poster who says things like "we should be as bad as possible for the next 3 years," but most people who are reasonable are saying that we'll be bottom 3 next year (potentially worst overall again, intentionally or not), then maybe bottom 5, then maybe bottom 10, then hopefully competing for the playoffs after that, or maybe another year of struggling a bit but still trying to build a competitive team.

This is, of course, far different than "tanking for 4 more years."

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
to be fair there is one troll-ish poster who says things like "we should be as bad as possible for the next 3 years," but most people who are reasonable are saying that we'll be bottom 3 next year (potentially worst overall again, intentionally or not), then maybe bottom 5, then maybe bottom 10, then hopefully competing for the playoffs after that, or maybe another year of struggling a bit but still trying to build a competitive team.

Basically this

The tank began with the Meier trade, and the accumulation of assets began with the 2023 entry draft

Any fan knows a scorched earth rebuild is a slow process that takes multiple years, and we're at the bottom of ours right now, all of us who have been pro-tank have been in favor of maximizing cap space and draft position for as long as it takes to build a legitimate pool of prospects, and those prospects will have to come from the 2023, 2024, and likely 2025 entry drafts where we will have at least a combined 6 1st round picks including 4th overall last year, a top 3 this year, and another high pick next year

No one is saying "be bad on purpose in perpetuity"; we are saying over this period of multiple seasons, that we are hopefully in the middle of, try to pick as high as possible as many times as possible to maximize the chances of acquiring truly franchise altering talent

It's pretty simple and most of the best teams in the league acquired their best players by doing exactly that

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
I've been saying the exact thing. Seems some of our fans don't understand the human element of this process. There's a reason a majority of major rebuilds backfire.
No, you don't seem to understand why Ottawa, Buffalo, and Arizona et al. keeping failing. They have terrible owners and terrible front offices.

Rebuilds take time and the Sharks have some nice pieces but they do not have any cornerstones for the franchise at the moment.

It took Colorado 9 years to win a cup.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
No, you don't seem to understand why Ottawa, Buffalo, and Arizona et al. keeping failing. They have terrible owners and terrible front offices.

Rebuilds take time and the Sharks have some nice pieces but they do not have any cornerstones for the franchise at the moment.

Using any franchise, both for my argument or yours, to define a concrete template for winning is just dumb. You can look at basically every winner over the last 10 years and create a different narrative as to why they won.

At this point I don't see what makes Hasso any better or worse of an owner than any other.

to be fair, there is more than one "troll-ish" poster who's been advocating being bad for the next couple AT LEAST years. I really don't want to go back and collect receipts, but I will if asked.

Reactions: Trow

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Using any franchise, both for my argument or yours, to define a concrete template for winning is just dumb. You can look at basically every winner over the last 10 years and create a different narrative as to why they won.

At this point I don't see what makes Hasso any better or worse of an owner than any other.

to be fair, there is more than one "troll-ish" poster who's been advocating being bad for the next couple AT LEAST years. I really don't want to go back and collect receipts, but I will if asked.
If we're all going to be intellectually honest, then you have to also admit that you have discounted many different franchises for one reason or another who have succeeded at rebuilding in a way that looks very much like what the Sharks are currently doing. And that such a rebuild might not include being much better next year.

If you want to go back and collect receipts for who wants to tank for 4 more years, be my guest, I think that number is 1. If it's 3 years of dead last tanking, I would be surprised if you found two. You are now saying you'll go collect receipts for people who think we should "be bad for a couple more years AT LEAST", which is very different than saying we should TANK for FOUR more years.

If you want to go collect receipts for posters who think that next year we will still likely be bottom 3, then bottom 5 the following, them bottom 10, then in 2027 or 2028 when our big stars are 23-25 we have a very early chance to try to make the playoffs, then there will definitely be a lot of people who have said that. Because that's the most likely scenario and it's how rebuilds have generally been successful. Yes, some of those have also failed. As I've said many times, it's about 50/50 whether a full rebuild succeeds or fails.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
If we're all going to be intellectually honest, then you have to also admit that you have discounted many different franchises for one reason or another who have succeeded at rebuilding in a way that looks very much like what the Sharks are currently doing. And that such a rebuild might not include being much better next year.

If you want to go back and collect receipts for who wants to tank for 4 more years, be my guest, I think that number is 1. If it's 3 years of dead last tanking, I would be surprised if you found two. You are now saying you'll go collect receipts for people who think we should "be bad for a couple more years AT LEAST", which is very different than saying we should TANK for FOUR more years.

If you want to go collect receipts for posters who think that next year we will still likely be bottom 3, then bottom 5 the following, them bottom 10, then in 2027 or 2028 when our big stars are 23-25 we have a very early chance to try to make the playoffs, then there will definitely be a lot of people who have said that. Because that's the most likely scenario and it's how rebuilds have generally been successful. Yes, some of those have also failed. As I've said many times, it's about 50/50 whether a full rebuild succeeds or fails.
Honestly, outside of Colorado and maaaaybe TB (I say maybe because their success only consisted of two top 5 picks in Hedman and Stammer while the rest were later) most rebuilds failed over the last ten years.

I'm all in for the rebuild, but let's not act like it's success rate is any higher than us getting the 1OA this season.

Reactions: barbu

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
The Sharks will become the Bluejackets in 10 years.

The Sharks ownership group is to strong to let that happen, professional sports teams go through cycles, you are very good 8-10 years and than you have to go through a rebuild. if you have good competent ownership and management that rebuild period can be short. See whats happening with Chicago Blackhawks and what will happen with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Bowie22

blow it up
Jul 20, 2012
Santa Clara, CA
The 2024 San Jose Sharks have officially finished with the lowest 82 game point total since the institution of the salary cap at 47 points with a final record of 19-54-9

giphy.gif

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
The Sharks ownership group is to strong to let that happen, professional sports teams go through cycles, you are very good 8-10 years and than you have to go through a rebuild. if you have good competent ownership and management that rebuild period can be short. See whats happening with Chicago Blackhawks and what will happen with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Pump the brakes. Chicago got a top pick, but by no means are they the blueprint to follow. And let’s not assume Dubas can lead a proper rebuild

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Honestly, outside of Colorado and maaaaybe TB (I say maybe because their success only consisted of two top 5 picks in Hedman and Stammer while the rest were later) most rebuilds failed over the last ten years.

I'm all in for the rebuild, but let's not act like it's success rate is any higher than us getting the 1OA this season.
Most rebuilds take 10 years. Stamkos won his first cup in his 30s. You can't evaluate most rebuilds from the last 10 years yet.

Look, I get it. This is basically a head vs heart debate and both of them matter. You feel like you're the only one thinking about the fan experience, the player experience, culture, morale, and you feel that too many fans on here are far too callous to understand the damage that a rational tank job can do. And frankly on these boards you are one of the only voices worried about those issues. You are fighting an uphill battle because many people don't care at all about the current players and don't really care about the fan experience.

I happen to disagree with you that our culture is at imminent risk of becoming a losing one, I happen to disagree that the franchise is at risk, and I happen to believe that we are on a good starting track for a rebuild. I don't think what you want and what most fans you disagree with want is very far apart, but how it feels and how we talk about it is different and that can be a challenge.

I do think that factually it's impossible to argue that rebuilds don't work sometimes, and it's hard to argue they don't work about half the time. It's very hard to argue you don't need elite talent to win a cup or even be a contender. There are precious few ways to get that talent. Most of the argument is about what is or isn't possible on what timeline. And it's all a tale of sound and fury signifying nothing because we are all passengers on this f'd up roller coaster.

It's a relief the season is over and I'm excited to see what happens at the draft. Two big pieces incoming.

Reactions: TheBeard and JBeast

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Pump the brakes. Chicago got a top pick, but by no means are they the blueprint to follow. And let’s not assume Dubas can lead a proper rebuild
You just know Bettman is itching to screw the Sharks over in the lottery
Blackhawks get 1st overall and Sharks lose their pick from Pittsburgh when the “magically” move up to 4.

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015

It's because they have no center-defense.

Teams try to emulate Colorado and to a lesser extent Tampa Bay, while not understanding they're poorly constructed teams with enough talent to get away with their flaws sometimes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad