The San Jose Sharks are horror-bad

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Yeah, nobody expected the Sharks to contend any time soon, but holy hannah they are awful so far. Like, horror-bad awful.

After nine games, they have 1 shoot-out loss to show for the season.

They have 9 goals, total, in nine games. (Alex Debrincat, by himself, has matched their entire team's goal production.) They've allowed 26 goals against, putting them almost at -3 per game (or -240 for a full season).

Amazingly, their goaltending -- by save percentage, anyway -- has been fine. Their PK is about League-average so far, and their PP isn't the worst in the League (they dishonor goes to St. Louis's staggering 4.8% on the season), so their inept results are mainly down to 5-on-5 utter futility. They have scored six even strength goals all season.

How bad is it going to get? Will it get worse? Or, is this start just a mirage and they're actually not too bad?

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Yeah, nobody expected the Sharks to contend any time soon, but holy hannah they are awful so far. Like, horror-bad awful.

After nine games, they have 1 shoot-out loss to show for the season.

They have 9 goals, total, in nine games. (Alex Debrincat, by himself, has matched their entire team's goal production.) They've allowed 26 goals against, putting them almost at -3 per game (or -240 for a full season).

Amazingly, their goaltending -- by save percentage, anyway -- has been fine. Their PK is about League-average so far, and their PP isn't the worst in the League (they dishonor goes to St. Louis's staggering 4.8% on the season), so their inept results are mainly down to 5-on-5 utter futility. They have scored six even strength goals all season.

How bad is it going to get? Will it get worse? Or, is this start just a mirage and they're actually not too bad?
1OA

Calling it here and now.

D Wakaluk

Dec 8, 2010
stuck in the '90s
You have to appreciate them going full retro this season.

105371-7308668Fr.jpg

There's still work to be done though. Can they "top" their worst season of 24 pts? Seems like a mirage with today's loser points. We'll see!

San Jose Shark seasons (wikipedia)

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Tanking is harder to do than most assume. Players and coaches have pride and teams play down to their opponents. David Quinn continues to be a sum of the parts is less than the whole coach. Some coaches squeeze an extra 10 points out of a team, Quinn squeezes -20 out of his.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I mean, they don't have any good players. They don't seem very well coached. They also don't really seem to give much of a crap. So i'm not sure this should be surprising.

In the long haul, they'll win some games eventually and cobble together a handful of points. Even a terrible team in today's parity league can win when circumstances and bounces go just right every now and then. The schedule is long and other teams will have plenty of games where they look past the Sharks and mail in a terrible effort of their own.

But they're clearly in a full on tank mode. The bigger question is...how many years will it take for them to wash away and shake off that awful stench of tanking? 5? 10? Somewhere in between? Longer even?

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Not trolling - I thought it was clear they are fully rebuilding

They are and everybody expected them to be bad… despite all of that and despite the fact that they have been without Couture and have been missing Granlund most games, I could not have imagined a start as poor as we have seen.

I mean, it took the Canucks one game to put up 8 goals, it has taken us 9 games to outscore them.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Worst forward core in the league not even close especially with the Couture , Barabanov and Grandland injuries .

Reactions: DickSmehlik

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Ya but they’re like no light at the end of the tunnel bad, no flashes, no signs of life bad.

It is going to be interesting to me, to see if San Jose end up being one of those deeper, more prolonged tank job "rebuilds" where they even deliberately keep their top young guys away from the dumpster fire NHL club for as long as they realistically can. Whether guys like Will Smith might be encouraged to spend a little bit of extra time in College (along with say, Celebrini if they end up winning the lottery).

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
Vegas is going to acquire a 1st round pick from a team that misses the playoffs by 1 point. Then they win the draft lottery, leaping the winless Sharks.

Don’t worry - Vegas doesn’t like picks.

If Grier were to run to a dispensary for some decent edibles and maybe a cornershop to grab some Necco wafers and a few beers on the way back, I’m pretty sure McCrimmon would be buttered up enough to trade down.

(That said, I’m looking forward to Eklund & Smith turning it around. We’ve got more “wife’s name” memes to enjoy.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad