The San Jose Sharks are horror-bad

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I sure hope the Sharks get better somewhat quickly because extended stretches with seasons like the Sharks just put up will damage a frachise . Even if ownership can absorb the financial losses the majority of a teams fanbase will abandon a team if they are this bad for extended stretches.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Somehow funny, that on the worst team in years, Granlund is actually having his best year pointswise since 2018. Looks like his off-ice problems are behind him...

68gp 12g 47a 59p

serp

Jan 17, 2016
False.

Ever heard of the Leafs?

I don't think the Sharks have that kind of fanbase. I would think a solid 3/4's ( at least ) of the leagues teams would get into major trouble if their team was really bad for long stretches.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I sure hope the Sharks get better somewhat quickly because extended stretches with seasons like the Sharks just put up will damage a frachise . Even if ownership can absorb the financial losses the majority of a teams fanbase will abandon a team if they are this bad for extended stretches.
Some of our fans would be perfectly content being the worst team in the league for the next 4 years.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
That's what happens when you stubbornly try to win with the same aging core until it's too late and you have nothing to show for it. I can see this happening to the Penguins.

Reactions: CaptainShark

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Sharks managements wanted the tank and now they got it.

They'll have enough of a prospect base after the draft (Macklin Celebrini, William Eklund, Filip Bystedt, William Smith, Quentin Musty, David Edstrom) to begin adding back a few vets to bring this team back to respectability.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Sharks managements wanted the tank and now they got it.

They'll have enough of a prospect base after the draft (Macklin Celebrini, William Eklund, Filip Bystedt, William Smith, Quentin Musty, David Edstrom) to begin adding back a few vets to bring this team back to respectability.
Grier has the chance to draft a good young core. He's added a ton of prospects so far, has 2 picks in the top 14 this year (and 2 early 2nds) and 2 1st rounders next year. Just need them all to develop decently now.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He had a baby stillborn and also marriage-problems + divorce after that. It really affected his play for a few yrs.
I knew about the stillborn, had no idea about the divorce. Aie, him and Mikko both with the marriage problems.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Some of our fans would be perfectly content being the worst team in the league for the next 4 years.

Thats what they're saying now . What if the Sharks still don't look like they improve anytime soon after those 4 years ? It's easy to break up a team and be bad but becoming good again is very difficult. I get why the Sharks went into the kind of rebuild they did but it the team stays this bad for an extended period getting out of the hole will be very very difficult . Once the constant losing starts to effect how prospects develop you're in trouble

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Thats what they're saying now . What if the Sharks still don't look like they improve anytime soon after those 4 years ? It's easy to break up a team and be bad but becoming good again is very difficult. I get why the Sharks went into the kind of rebuild they did but it the team stays this bad for an extended period getting out of the hole will be very very difficult . Once the constant losing starts to effect how prospects develop you're in trouble
I've been saying the exact thing. Seems some of our fans don't understand the human element of this process. There's a reason a majority of major rebuilds backfire.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
50% of major rebuilds backfire, not "a majority." And as I and others have shared with data, the majority of successful cup winners went through a rebuild.

Most posters on our boards (including you, as far as I understand) are on board with Grier taking "a step forward" this offseason. I think the difference is, you want to take a bigger step, and some posters (me included) don't want to get into a Detroit situation where we've come out of a rebuild a bit too quickly and get caught in the middle.

That said, jury is still out on Detroit, I wouldn't call their rebuild failed yet. I also think jury is still out on Buffalo and so does Greg Wyshynski on the new SJHN podcast. All to say, I would say very few posters on the SJ boards want us to be bottom dwellers for 4 more seasons. Hodge maybe wants us to tank next year, maybe a troll or two. But 4 more seasons of tanking? I haven't seen anyone say that. That's a strawman argument.

I've been saying the exact thing. Seems some of our fans don't understand the human element of this process. There's a reason a majority of major rebuilds backfire.

You had better pray he can scout talent and draft better than his idiot brother.
It's off topic, and unnecessary, but I don't understand why someone would look at the team in Miami right now and say they were poorly constructed, from the coach to the roster. Pretty exciting team with improvement ahead...

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
It's off topic, and unnecessary, but I don't understand why someone would look at the team in Miami right now and say they were poorly constructed, from the coach to the roster. Pretty exciting team with improvement ahead...
Florida's success is mostly contingent on free agents (Bobrovsky, Verhaguhe, Montour) and trades (Reinhart, Tkachuk). Ekblad and Barkov have been good, but that's basically it from their drafts. Lundell has been ok, Knight is a bust, Denisneko is a bust, Tippett was a bust.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017

He's been the team's chief college scouting and draft guy since 2007. He's awful at his job. I hope for Sharks fans that brother Mike is much better at identifying talent.

Florida's success is mostly contingent on free agents (Bobrovsky, Verhaguhe, Montour) and trades (Reinhart, Tkachuk). Ekblad and Barkov have been good, but that's basically it from their drafts. Lundell has been ok, Knight is a bust, Denisneko is a bust, Tippett was a bust.

We're talking about football. Mike Grier's brother Chris is the General Manager of the Miami Dolphins (football) and has been in charge of the team's college scouting and draft board since 2007. He's a complete buffoon.

Reactions: TheBeard

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Grier has the chance to draft a good young core. He's added a ton of prospects so far, has 2 picks in the top 14 this year (and 2 early 2nds) and 2 1st rounders next year. Just need them all to develop decently now.
There were way too many long term overpaid contracts to aging vets for Grier to deal with. Even after all of the moves he still has two to deal with. That said, from this point forward he has enough picks and cap space to begin criticizing anything he does moving forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad