Salary Cap: The Salary Cap Thread | Trust me... nothing has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Trading from anywhere except our winger depth make zero sense to me especially when you look at we have both Maatta and Dumo cost controlled. Even if they only marginally improve their play in their different styles of defenseman molds here in 1-2 years when other contracts get signed around the league they will be a bargain. We have a load, a huge surplus at winger. Wingers and picks are the only thing to trade that makes sense with any trade. This is a rare chance to build a true unadulterated dynasty. In these situations you only trade from surplus to make your full roster. Not from only if your lacking of depth areas.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I wonder if one of the ex-Pens team, NJ/Buffalo/etc, would maybe take a risk on DP, who will hit waivers if moves down for the Pens in exchange for a young guy like Girgs. Seems like a project for project deal.

I'm sure Shero would be interested in giving Pouliot a second chance because he's Shero. Others? Ehhhhh.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
On the trade rumors board, DominicBoltsFan has a 2RW thread opened. Right now we both agreed that a Johnson for Sheary+picks swap could be done for both teams. If Sprong is ready, here is team:
Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Rust-Malkin-Sprong
Hagelin-Johnson-Kessel
Wilson-Rowney-Reaves
Dumolin-Letang
Cole-Schultz
Maatta-Hunwick
Murray
Neimi

Thoughts?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
so DP for Henrique it is. Easy peazy.

I'm quite surprised we haven't traded Pouliot to New Jersey yet now you mention it :laugh:

p.s. Depending on the add-ons, yes I do Johnson for Sheary, even if Johnson's contract looks like it will end in misery.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Apparently Point is much better than what I've seen if they're gonna play him ahead of Johnson.

I'd do Sheary for Johnson all day.

Jenkins

Aug 2, 2017
British Columbia
I mean in a vacuum. The main issue is Johnson is constantly injured and makes 5 million until he is 35.

Fair but cap is only 2 more mil than Sheary now and will be closer when Sheary's deal is up.

Johnson is a proven playoff performer too.
47 games - 42 points (21 goals, 21 assists). Worth the risk for me.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I would love Sheary for Johnson. It makes us better.

Great player but we couldn't do his 7 year contract. Forget the $5 mil per year. We could do that for a few years, but it's really the term.
But since TB signed him this summer, he's obviously in his plans. But maybe that makes Point expendable since he's due a new contract next year and they may not have the funds it pay him.
I'd do that trade

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Great player but we couldn't do his 7 year contract. Forget the $5 mil per year. We could do that for a few years, but it's really the term.
But since TB signed him this summer, he's obviously in his plans. But maybe that makes Point expendable since he's due a new contract next year and they may not have the funds it pay him.
I'd do that trade
They have Point playing over Johnson. They are either getting a 3C and move Point to 2RW or Moving Johnson for a 2RW and moving Point to 2C and trading for a 3C

Jenkins

Aug 2, 2017
British Columbia
I'd do that trade

We could trade him (but not until the 21-22 season)

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
They have Point playing over Johnson. They are either getting a 3C and move Point to 2RW or Moving Johnson for a 2RW and moving Point to 2C and trading for a 3C

Wasn't Point playing over him because Johnson was injured? They have Names at center too. Easier to get a RW than center, as we can attest. Wouldn't it be better for TB not to move him to RW but to trade one of their centers for a winger. And what a surprise...the Pens are replete with RWs....

Edit: I just don't think TB would have signed him for 7 years if they planned to move TJ. That's not really a moveable term

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Over the last 2 years, Johnson has missed a grand total of 8 more games than Bonino and still outproduced him by 17 points.

In fact, pick any timeframe or any time of year and Johnson outperforms Bonino handily, and he's 2 years younger.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Bozak, Dallas, and Henrique are likely going to cost major pieces that we can't give up. Leafs will likely want Maatta or Cole + roster player. Shero is insanely good at trading so I really don't even want to know what he could get for Henrique. Not to mention both of these players are temporary fixes. You are essentially giving up major pieces for a one year run and I don't think Bozak especially is worth that. I don't see why Dallas would have a center down the middle open. They can run Seguin, Spezza, Faska, Shore and still have the ability to move people.

I think we are looking at the bottom selection and the issue is that you are either replacing Bonino's defensive prowess and taking a hit offensively, or you are forcing Crosby to take more defensive draws and bringing in a more offensive oriented 3C. The doesn't even touch on replacing Cullen's offense. Karlsson is obviously the best choice, because if he proves he doesn't pan out you can just move him down to 4C at the deadline.

The other issue is as soon as Duchene moves teams like Montreal, Carolina, Nashville, etc. are all going to be after the same type of centers as we are which is going to increase the price. I'd say that has a lot more to do with the stand still than Rutherford being able to just go out and get a center.

You're forgetting Hanzal but they can slide Spezza to wing if they want.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Over the last 2 years, Johnson has missed a grand total of 8 more games than Bonino and still outproduced him by 17 points.

In fact, pick any timeframe or any time of year and Johnson outperforms Bonino handily, and he's 2 years younger.

Is this one of those "inconsistencies" you are pointing out?

Because, once again it seems like trolling. 5 x 7 and 4x4 are completely different deals. Not to mention Johnson has a NTC for the first four years. Like I said, in a vacuum Tyler Johnson is a great player. I think you can judge his value in Tampa based on most of them being pretty weary of the term.

Can't wait until next time I post and you bring up another thing I've said in relation to something completely different!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad