Salary Cap: The Salary Cap Thread | Something Happened!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Hornqvist will be signed and while the economics may not be good down the road, he wins cups. Shero extended Kunitz, why? He wins cups. GMJR values that level of commitment. Pens can win another cup, not sure if it is this year. But for me, I would take a loss this year if it meant two cups in 2018 and 2019. I really don't think the Pens can win a cup without him all things being equal.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Yeah, Hornqvist is such an important cog for us. Huge energy. Scores dirty goals. We're probably not going to like the term but he's a guy that you win Cups (plural) with.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The same can be said of Galchenyuk, and perhaps even Reinhart.

I think we would be wrong not to keep tabs on Galchenyuk and the Habs as a whole, since they are quite likely the first team ready to make major moves this season.
Things are getting real in my city. I think we might see WHOLESALE changes. The team is garbage, they have loads of cap space and are quite desperate to right the ship. They will not go into full-blown rebuilding mode. Not in this city. I'd be as shocked as ever.

We still don't know if Galchenyuk can play center in the NHL
, but we do know he cannot play for Claude Julien. This should surprise no one. Tyler Seguin couldn't play center for Claude Julien. Phil Kessel and Jaromir Jagr could not even play wing for Claude Julien. He is all defense, all the time. Guys like Galchenyuk wind up lost in the shuffle in a system like that.

All I know is the price to acquire a guy like Galchenyuk may not be as high as we think.

And there's no guarantee that he can - in fact it's far from it. Then there's his cap hit. Why would we trade Sheary+ (if Montreal would even accept that) for Gally, when he comes with a 5m cap hit, and there's no clue if he could play as our #3C? Much rather just spend the 1st+ to get one of LVs centers, and just move on. No, not as high end as Gally, but they won't cost nearly as much, and are going to be more of a sure thing in terms of being able to fill the need that we have in the #3 spot. And they're not going to require that we give up one of our better wingers, who's on a great contract.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Would you ever consider trading Phil Kessel for Nick Bonino??? No? Well that is exactly where a Sprong for Reinhart trade could end up in value.

Not even remotely close to being accurate. Sprong hasn't even established himself at the NHL level to even start trying to make comparisons like this.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Hornqvist will be signed and while the economics may not be good down the road, he wins cups. Shero extended Kunitz, why? He wins cups. GMJR values that level of commitment. Pens can win another cup, not sure if it is this year. But for me, I would take a loss this year if it meant two cups in 2018 and 2019. I really don't think the Pens can win a cup without him all things being equal.

We just won a cup where he missed 6 games and played 14:16 a night. I think we could have probably won if he'd never played, cup winning goal or no.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Not even remotely close to being accurate. Sprong hasn't even established himself at the NHL level to even start trying to make comparisons like this.

You did see where I said this is where the trade could "end up" in value right? That's called projecting and I firmly believe Sprong's upside could place him in the elite category potential.

Thank you

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
We saw the difference immediately when Hornqvist went back into the lineup. The concern is as people have said, the term. It is hard to believe that his style of play will not catch up with him, and when the decline happens it will be quick and steep. Not that he needs any speed for his game, but I could see him lose a lot of games for health reasons.

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
We saw the difference immediately when Hornqvist went back into the lineup. The concern is as people have said, the term. It is hard to believe that his style of play will not catch up with him, and when the decline happens it will be quick and steep. Not that he needs any speed for his game, but I could see him lose a lot of games for health reasons.

I do want to point out. It's fair to say the risk is high in regards to a possible drop off. I think it's unfair to guarantee a drop off. I think there is a big difference among the two.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
We just won a cup where he missed 6 games and played 14:16 a night. I think we could have probably won if he'd never played, cup winning goal or no.

Hmmm. Interesting thought. I'll disagree with it, but I don't think we will be able to change one another's opinion. That Hornqvist goal was a CLASSIC #72 doing his thing and getting a garbage goal. We needed that in the series badly. It was perfect timing.

I am not 100% sure we win the series w/o him. I think we beat them in 4-5 if we have Hornqvist, Letang, and Bones all fully healthy. Even if they get RyJo back. I think we would have ran through teams fully healthy.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

I still cite Holmstrom as what Horny will be. Holmstrom didn't fall off too much. He was a nose to the grinder, net front presence too.

What helps Horny, is he isn't all flashy skills. He doesn't need to rely speed or fancy shots. You can deflect goals or pot garbage rebounds as long as you can be strong enough to fight your way to the blue paint.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You did see where I said this is where the trade could "end up" in value right? That's called projecting and I firmly believe Sprong's upside could place him in the elite category potential.

Thank you

And what about Reinhart's upside? There's a reason why this kid was drafted #2 overall - and nothing he's done to date disputes that.

So no thanks.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
And what about Reinhart's upside? There's a reason why this kid was drafted #2 overall - and nothing he's done to date disputes that.

So no thanks.

I haven't watched Reinhart. I will admit my comparison of him to Bonino was ill informed. I'm just so big on Sprong, I would hate to see us trade him at this point for anything other than a long term sure thing.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Hmmm. Interesting thought. I'll disagree with it, but I don't think we will be able to change one another's opinion. That Hornqvist goal was a CLASSIC #72 doing his thing and getting a garbage goal. We needed that in the series badly. It was perfect timing.

I am not 100% sure we win the series w/o him. I think we beat them in 4-5 if we have Hornqvist, Letang, and Bones all fully healthy. Even if they get RyJo back. I think we would have ran through teams fully healthy.

Given the way the two goalies were playing, I feel pretty confident we'd have won it even if Horny hadn't turned up then. Probably not 100% sure, but pretty sure. I thought we were the better team and it was going to show sooner or later, particularly with the last game at home.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd have loved a healthy Hornqvist in the play-offs. It would have definitely made things easier. I just can't agree with him being indispensable. I don't like calling players on this team indispensable in general - they've overcome so much when missing key players - but when we get to a guy whose injuries really constrained him in the play-offs, it makes even less sense to me.

You're right that we're probably not going to change each other's opinions, but I do definitely think its a point that deserves raising, even when you do consider a crucially timed goal of the sort maybe only a couple of other guys on the roster would have scored.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I still cite Holmstrom as what Horny will be. Holmstrom didn't fall off too much. He was a nose to the grinder, net front presence too.

What helps Horny, is he isn't all flashy skills. He doesn't need to rely speed or fancy shots. You can deflect goals or pot garbage rebounds as long as you can be strong enough to fight your way to the blue paint.

That is a very fair point. Holmstrom produced into his late 30's. He scored 25 goals at age 37. And that was during the dead puck era we remain in today. He played, effectively, to age 39.

I still am concerned about Horny's health because of his style of play, but you provide a solid example of the counter to that concern.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Given the way the two goalies were playing, I feel pretty confident we'd have won it even if Horny hadn't turned up then. Probably not 100% sure, but pretty sure. I thought we were the better team and it was going to show sooner or later, particularly with the last game at home.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd have loved a healthy Hornqvist in the play-offs. It would have definitely made things easier. I just can't agree with him being indispensable. I don't like calling players on this team indispensable in general - they've overcome so much when missing key players - but when we get to a guy whose injuries really constrained him in the play-offs, it makes even less sense to me.

You're right that we're probably not going to change each other's opinions, but I do definitely think its a point that deserves raising, even when you do consider a crucially timed goal of the sort maybe only a couple of other guys on the roster would have scored.
Hypothetical scenarios are so tough. I constantly go back and wonder what would have happened if: Example - What if the Tampa goal wasn't offsides? What if MAF never sat on the one puck to score a goal on himself. What if we tie the game in 2008 in the Cup Finals where Hossa is 1 inch away from tying it last second.

So many questions I have.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
GMJR first move was to trade for Horny. Believe me he is that valuable a player on this team. Yes a contract with some term looks to carry risk. But he is one of those players who compete so hard and unselfishly that it sets a certain tone. Winners need those guys. The big games are where Hags, Horny, Cole show up. The fear of losing is a powerful driver. The Blackhawks don't win without Hossa. The glue guys matter.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Based on what? Reinhart has had more opportunities so far, that's it.

He was taken #2 and has been pretty good so far....

42 points and 47 points in his first two years, in a Bylsma system that misused him alot. Have to be a pretty decent add to Sprong for the Sabres to even think about it.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Again, my post wasn't meant to bash Reinhart, I can't really speak to his talent. I was simply pointing out that Sprong could be an elite scorer in this league and those don't come available easily.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Reinhart put up pretty good numbers last year despite being with Moulson and Foligno alot #bylsma

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Again, my post wasn't meant to bash Reinhart, I can't really speak to his talent. I was simply pointing out that Sprong could be an elite scorer in this league and those don't come available easily.

You said it was like trading Kessel for Bonino.

Sprong and Kessel are miles apart to begin with. I think Sprong will turn out to be James Neal without the physical game.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
So could Reinhart. Even more so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad