The S-T-L line

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I liked Schwartz - Lehtera - Tarasenko better personally. But don't get me wrong Steen -Lehty-Frank is pretty awesome too.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I liked Schwartz - Lehtera - Tarasenko better personally. But don't get me wrong Steen -Lehty-Frank is pretty awesome too.

I did, too, until Steen started winning puck battles like a madman for 'em. He's also really good at judging when to be a third guy going to the net instead of hanging back. It seems to add that extra dangerous edge to the line. For now, anyway, especially since Schwartz-Berglund-Jaskin seemed to have some chemistry, too.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Steen seems to be the perfect compliment to Jori and Vlad. I wouldn't break this line up even when everyone is healthy honestly.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Steen seems like the best compliment to Lethera and Tarasenko. He brings that highly intelligent defensive play the line needs to balance their offensive tendencies. Tarasenko has been cheating in the defensive zone so he can quickly spring loose on breakouts and catch the D off guard. The defensive responsibility of Steen allows that type of play. Schwartz can bring that too but Steen is better at it and more conservative on his release during the breakout.

Steen also brings that shoot first mentality, whereas Schwartz looks to make plays. Since Lethera is almost purely a puck distributor, I would rather have two shooters on that line. Steen brings that element.

Having Schwartz on another line also plays out as a team strength. He is a tremendous catalyst for offense. Whether it's winning board battles, dishing to open players or navigating through traffic, he facilitates offense while also being defensively sound. That is important now that we are a one line offensive team due to illness and injury. However, I think it will be in our best interest moving forward as well. Having Schwartz on another top line with Stastny when he gets back will make defending our team even more challenging. Stastny could benefit from Schwartz's distributing skills. Stastny is known for his distributing but the guy can score and Schwartz can help in that area. Conversely the same is true of Schwartz and the impact Stastny can have on him.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Steen seems to be the perfect compliment to Jori and Vlad. I wouldn't break this line up even when everyone is healthy honestly.

As soon as everyone is healthy, I'd put Schwartz back on the line with Lehtera & Frank.

*side note* I was posting on The Blues Facebook group St. Louis Blues Nation, and someone came up with a new pretty decent nickname for Tarasenko (MiG 91) what do you guys think?

fcpremix88

Mar 9, 2007
Tampa
With the defensive abilities of Stastny, Lehtera, Berglund, and Lapierre, do we really need Backes to play center? Especially if his goal-scoring ability is enhanced by being moved to wing.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
With the defensive abilities of Stastny, Lehtera, Berglund, and Lapierre, do we really need Backes to play center? Especially if his goal-scoring ability is enhanced by being moved to wing.

Who do you want to toss out there to shut down the likes of Crosby, Toews, Duchene, Kopitar, etc ? I want Backes

Apr 28, 2013
St. Louis
I've always been a strong proponent of loading the top six with our best six guys, and frankly I think Backes is a wasted asset if he's centering Bergy/Lindstrom/Oshie/Jaskin/etc down on the third line. And last I checked you can still play Selke caliber defense on the wing

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO

Yes we do. Better to have 3 solid scoring lines with Berglund on the wing rather than 2 good ones and 2 so-so ones. Berglund seems almost completely inept offensively when playing center, i'd rather Lehtera take those minutes with Tarasenko.

besides, what signs have we seen that Backes will score anymore than 25-30 goals and 60 or so points if he moves to the wing?

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
I've always been a strong proponent of loading the top six with our best six guys, and frankly I think Backes is a wasted asset if he's centering Bergy/Lindstrom/Oshie/Jaskin/etc down on the third line. And last I checked you can still play Selke caliber defense on the wing

except that his line typically plays against the opposing top line, which tends to make for a lot of minutes played. so no, he isn't wasted because he'll be playing top minutes against the opponents' best line. it means more defensive zone starts for sure, but that allows Stastny and Lehtera to excel offensively and lessens the burden on Backes offensively.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Yes Backes should be at center. First and foremost, his defensive abilities are maximized playing there. Moving him to the wing lessens the impact he can have. Centers are responsible for covering more ice at both ends of the ice. Secondly, his best offensive seasons came after he made the move to center. That's where he plays his most effective hockey both offensively and defensively. Despite all of our additions, Backes is still our best center.

I just think it's a big mistake for a team to move a Selke caliber center to the wing. Most teams would kill to get Backes so they could have a great shutdown center capable of scoring 30 goals. Those types are very rare.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
We'll be a lot harder to play against if you're looking at a top three of Stastny, Backes and Lehtera. Just need to find a winger or two for Staz.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
I think everyone's dismissing the possibility that is the offensive juggernaut named Steve Ott showing up on Backes' wing.
Blues may very well set the scoring record.

They may very well set TWO.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
We'll be a lot harder to play against if you're looking at a top three of Stastny, Backes and Lehtera. Just need to find a winger or two for Staz.

I think I speak for us all when I note that Cody Beach is still waiver exempt and prepared to become the central cog in the machine that will drive the Blues to the Stanley Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00