The Ryan O’Reilly Discussion Quarantine Zone [All ROR Posts Here] (Mod Notes OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
So, update with best current roster play from trade has been scratched.

Thompson looks like what he is, a young kid who should still be in the minors.

But Sobotka scores a meaningless garbage goal!!

O’Reilly at 5 assists in 6 games.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
We have Pilut who was a role model and captain in U20 and wore an A last season in the SHL,
Then you have Davidsson who is playing on the most feared checking line in the SHL as well as Asplund who can provide a lot of intensity.
I don’t know much about the NA prospects, but when the swedes make the team they will light a fire under the butts of our star players. We have pretty much picked every good character/checking line Swede except the other Davidsson and Jobsson-Fjällby.

The ROR trade is still a joke though. Taking on huge cap dumps (Berglund is almost Okposo level) without a really good return.

I have hopes for those guys, particularly Asplund.

But those guys are years away from leadership roles, assuming they make it. They should be the second round of guys who load up a team that already built an identity.

My complaints are team choices from 2014 on. I’m just pissed at how stupidly the last three years were wasted.

I have plenty of hope for the future assets. If management can get out of the way.

Reactions: HaNotsri

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
We have Pilut who was a role model and captain in U20 and wore an A last season in the SHL,
Then you have Davidsson who is playing on the most feared checking line in the SHL as well as Asplund who can provide a lot of intensity.
I don’t know much about the NA prospects, but when the swedes make the team they will light a fire under the butts of our star players. We have pretty much picked every good character/checking line Swede except the other Davidsson and Jobsson-Fjällby.

The ROR trade is still a joke though. Taking on huge cap dumps (Berglund is almost Okposo level) without a really good return.
Its hard to take you seriously when you compare Berglund at 3.85 to Okposo at 6 million.
Give me a break its almost half.

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Its hard to take you seriously when you compare Berglund at 3.85 to Okposo at 6 million.
Give me a break its almost half.
Thanks, confused the cap hit with his salary this year (4.7 million). Still bad though. At least it’s not buyout proof.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yes and he was insinuating we some how improved because ROR left.

Technically we have since we were over .500 twice this year. First time in 5+ years. Its beyond pathetic that is a thing but there it is.

Now away from the technical , its way too early to say if we are any better, the same or worse. Aside from in goal where we are clearly better. I haven’t seen much from the skaters to indicate we are better yet but we have the talent to make it so. I think it hinges entirely on the coaching. Which is not something I have faith in yet.

Last edited:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Technically we have since we were over .500 twice this year. First time in 5+ years. Its beyond pathetic that is a thing but there it is.

Now away from the technical , its way too early to say if we are any better, the same or worse. Aside from in goal where we are clearly better. I haven’t seen much from the skaters to indicate we are better yet but we have the talent to make it so. I think it hinges entirely on the coaching. Which is not something I have faith in yet.

I think we have improved without doubt. Certainly talent wise. It just has zero to do with the O’Reilly trade.

I mean anyone brave enough to say that Berglund and Sobotka have provided better hockey than what O’Reilly and whatever ufa we signed for cheap would have, is out to lunch. That trade has always needed the futures to hit for it to be a decent deal.

Imagine O’Reilly and his 10 points in 8 games as your second line center. Instead of Berglund or young Mitts or Sobotka.

I sure hope we get a real behind the scenes history on this at some point, because who knows how bad the blood was.

But the way things are playing out

Skinner Eich Pommer
Sheary RoR Reinhart
Girgs Mitts Erod
Elie Larson Okposo
Smith/Nylander/Olofsson/ cheap ufa

Not trying to be a curmudgeon, but that’s a forward group that is playoff worthy if the defense holds up long enough for Pilut to come aboard and perhaps a trade for the eventual Bogo injury.

It was the fly in the honey after the Dahlin lotto win and then the cheap trades for Sheary/Skinner. You finally get the depth to compliment your talent, and then you kneecap your talent.

Still happy to see enjoyable hockey this year.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Let’s be honest. Dahlin is unknown at this point, but none of our leaders are the alpha go thru a wall type to win.

Eichel would rather throw a tantrum and smash a stick, than skate his balls off the whole game and use his speed to actually make **** happen. The next time he drives thru traffic will be the first time.

Reinhart is passive when playing with Eichel and defers too much in general.

Risto, I got no respect for you.

We didn’t get a Toews, Crosby or even Ovechkin.

But all that is ok, because you can still push thru that.

Unless you cater to useless vets, don’t upgrade your team talent and hire moron coaches, who are themselves unsure and limited in their intensity.

Hockey is an intense game that requires savage desire to push and push until the other team breaks. We don’t have anyone who has that in their heart, from top to bottom. Management/ownership may not have liked being called out, but due to hurt feelings they shipped out their second most talented player who actually fought for every inch of the ice, to help the “culture”. What a joke.

While we are just making stuff up can I say sobotka has heart but smells too much to gain his teammate’ respect!

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
What was made up?

Oh I don’t know. Maybe rambling about Eichel would rather throw tantrums than give 100% effort. Or maybe the nonsense about players not having the 100% savage desire to push and push.

Things you know nothing about. I’m sure these professional athletes that trained their entire life to be high draft picks, and then came in and produced at high levels as teenagers lack that drive you mention.

Absolute nonsense.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
It isn't Eichel's lack of heart/drive that slow him down, it's his Roger Nielson habits

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Oh I don’t know. Maybe rambling about Eichel would rather throw tantrums than give 100% effort. Or maybe the nonsense about players not having the 100% savage desire to push and push.

Things you know nothing about. I’m sure these professional athletes that trained their entire life to be high draft picks, and then came in and produced at high levels as teenagers lack that drive you mention.

Absolute nonsense.

I’ve watched them for years. In comparison to you or me, they had lots of drive to be great players.

In comparison to other star nhl players, they don’t. Was that a complicated distinction? Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Toews, Doughty. Those guys were willing to work hard and get to tough parts of the ice all the time. They threw themselves into dangerous plays to win all the time.

If you can’t see the difference, up to this point in their careers, that’s fine. But it is quite easy to see the difference in effort level between the above mentioned guys and Eichel. I would add Reinhart, but he doesn’t have the talent of those guys, tho again, he has been inconsistent with his assertive play with puck.

And as I said, they are still plenty good enough to win with good players and coaching around them.

So all I can see is that you think it’s bs that I feel I can see a difference in determination and effort to win between Eichel and the last wave of superstar. And I think it’s crazy if you can’t.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
The Girgensons we had in 2013-14, was due to a severe lack of talent. The real Girgensons is the bottom six grinder that is showing up.
I agree, with that roster someone had to look good, he was playing top line minutes in a position to succeed only because we had no one else.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Just for kicks, 5 es points already by my quick count.
He's a good player. Its a trade that will always be hard to understand.

All I'm going to focus on is how the Sabres play without him. I won't wonder how much better they'd be with him because it's pointless.

Reactions: Jamie Walker

Jamie Walker

May 2, 2004
Hamilton, Ont.

All I'm going to focus on is how the Sabres play without him. I won't wonder how much better they'd be with him because it's pointless.
he's a great player, and I wish he was apart of this team, but we wouldn't have a complete nhl roster, if he were here. Berglund, and Sabotka seem like glue guys who you can plug in anywhere, and not skip a beat. plus what we already have here and in the system, i'm happy. games are exciting again. #ibelieveinBotts

Reactions: Freeeeedom

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
he's a great player, and I wish he was apart of this team, but we wouldn't have a complete nhl roster, if he were here. Berglund, and Sabotka seem like glue guys who you can plug in anywhere, and not skip a beat. plus what we already have here and in the system, i'm happy. games are exciting again. #ibelieveinBotts
That's not true at all, we'd be down 1 player, and it would be Sobotka. Tage isn't playing, and Berglund <-> ROR in that scenario. Whether or not Sobotka is in the lineup over any organizational replacement has zero affect on what the team would look like, and the upgrade above would be huge

Reactions: sabrebuild

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Probably smart. But I like the what if’s almost as much the what is.

And the move on mindset is good for enjoyment of the product, but in forecasting our future success and decision making.... it makes me nervous.

Intermission

Jan 17, 2016
Western NY
He is a good player..

The cap dumps do not yet have have negative value..

Tage Thompson hardly even busted yet..

Sabres added to their pile of futures..

which reminds me..

I have to check my lottery numbers..

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Probably smart. But I like the what if’s almost as much the what is.

And the move on mindset is good for enjoyment of the product, but in forecasting our future success and decision making.... it makes me nervous.
The problem is we don't know why the trade was made. I don't think we'll be trading premier players very often.

Yeah, adding O'Reilly to any roster improves the overall talent and depth of the roster.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
People still dont get it. RoR was bad influence on the team in a number of ways. Thats Thats times more important than the fact that he is better than Berglund. We arw a better team without it. And now St Louos is losing with hom on the roster despite all the talent they have. Apologists here just dont get it, you dont win RoR - how many more years of sample size do you need to understand this?

Getting rid of him is addition by substraction it seems, and we got some pretty nice assets for that too.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
People still dont get it. RoR was bad influence on the team in a number of ways. Thats Thats times more important than the fact that he is better than Berglund. We arw a better team without it. And now St Louos is losing with hom on the roster despite all the talent they have. Apologists here just dont get it, you dont win RoR - how many more years of sample size do you need to understand this?

Getting rid of him is addition by substraction it seems, and we got some pretty nice assets for that too.
This continues to be a dreadful take.

If his influence, ill-defined and vaguely built around some quotes and general fodder about him being "sad," is enough to make us lose, we can't also ignore the fact that a guy who was all of those things so bad that he almost f*cking died is gone too, and then just point to THAT as the reason why we appear to be doing better.

We are currently a better team than last year for a laundry list of reasons that has nothing to do with the players we got for ROR (4 healthy scratches, 3 points in 21 games, the worst ES players on the team, and an obliterated center spine that WILL haunt us long-term), headed by NHL level goaltending that Vogl and co will never mention in their quest to make this league all about who has the happiest locker room (yes ,I'm exaggerating, but for the love of god how about some real goddamn analysis from this crowd).

You just don't win with ROR. For christ's sake, you just had this take in another thread today, got obliterated for it, and never showed up to own it.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
We wouldn't have a complete roster? That is just nonsense. One of Berglund and Sobotka is what makes this a complete roster? It actually isn't a complete roster since we only have one top 6 center, not to mention the top 4 on defense. That aside, I'm sure we could come up with a bottom 6 player to replace the other of Sobotka or Berglund, possibly just from Rochester alone.

Reactions: sabrebuild

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
I do not miss ROR. The assets and futures we got in that deal have made us a deeper team with much more clearly defined roles everywhere from leadership to defensive two way guys.

This team is moving on and growing up faster without ROR, and thusfar, it's been fun to watch. I think as fans, we need to start doing the same. Forget OReilly. Leave that negativity behind us and focus on the future. I wanna watch Thursday nights game and see a packed house welcoming the boys home from a successful road trip. I wanna see our first goal and feel that place get lit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad