The Ryan O’Reilly Discussion Quarantine Zone [All ROR Posts Here] (Mod Notes OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Maia G.
Oct 3, 6:52pm
With Jack recently being named captain and Thompson, Berglund, and Sobotka all making the roster, do you think that the ROR trade was the most game changing move of the offseason (minus drafting Dahlin)?

John Vogl
Oct 3, 7:01pm
@Maia G. Hi, Maia. Without a doubt. It was a move that had to be made. Too many people got sucked into ROR's "woe is me" vortex. Hockey is supposed to be fun. The new guys seem to realize that.

That’s not what you said, and most of it is Vogl’s own guesses, which end up being wrong half of the time anyway.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I’m familiar with exaggeration in an effort to push an agenda.
If you can't see that "O'Reilly's pit of despair in the locker room was dragging many other team members down with him" and "Too many people got sucked into ROR's "woe is me" vortex." means essentially the exact same thing, there's nothing I can say to help you with that. Nor will I continue to try.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
pit-of-despair-words.jpg

Reactions: Reddawg

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
If you can't see that "O'Reilly's pit of despair in the locker room was dragging many other team members down with him" and "Too many people got sucked into ROR's "woe is me" vortex." means essentially the exact same thing, there's nothing I can say to help you with that. Nor will I continue to try.

Those quotes sound like opinions to me. :shrug:

Not factual data.

I know people like to choose which “truth” to believe dependent on their particular leanings of a topic. Sports is no different. :dunno:

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
People need to stop knocking back Pegula's kool aid. With ROR, this team had the look of one that could challenge Boston for third in the division. Without him, they're going to struggle to remain in a wild card spot. I know they're 5-4, but they've been outplayed in maybe six of those games and were completely blown out in four of them. At least Housley will likely be gone this time around and not one of our best players if the season takes a turn for the worse.
With ROR we couldnt get out of the misery of the NHL bracket for several years. Not sure who is drinking any kool aid here.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Why can't we simultaneously acknowledge that ROR is a good player that can do good things but also that it wasn't working out here and perhaps the return we got made our team better for it?
Because all the depth we got back has been scratched, while the reasons the team has been better were either already on the roster or acquired in separate deals.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Why can't we simultaneously acknowledge that ROR is a good player that can do good things but also that it wasn't working out here and perhaps the return we got made our team better for it?
Because barring a miracle with the pick we got no sane person would argue Sobotka, Berglund and Thompson (3 of the worst players on the Blues roster) are going to make us better than keeping ROR.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
So many different opinions. I think the one thing we can all agree on is that the team is way better, way way way more entertaining to watch, and it's a situation where Botts has killed it.

He made the team way worse, then lucked into a generational prospect. The only thing he deserves credit for so far is replacing Lehner, which any competent GM would’ve done.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

It is different. You were also stating Vogl’s opinion as fact. Not one other person has verified this, and we have a long, long history of Buffalo media creating drama so that they have something to write about.

The trade was dumb, I don’t see how anyone could possible defend it. If the team is so fragile that ROR could make them lose by sulking, then they are not mentally strong enough to be successful in the NHL.

Plus, the players we got in return are all garbage so far. The trade remains indefensible.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Tage Thlson is 20 years old. O'Reilly is not a 1C on a serious team. The pick is a 1st (looking like a high first at this point).

You are trying to put on spin on it to twist reality...

Oh, like exactly what you’re doing by inferring that the Blues’ problems come from OReilly?

Don’t criticize “spinning reality”, while you’re doing just that.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Tage Thlson is 20 years old. O'Reilly is not a 1C on a serious team. The pick is a 1st (looking like a high first at this point).

You are trying to put on spin on it to twist reality...

I could see that 1st ending up between 16 and 22. Thompson will eventually grow into his giraffish body and he already has shown a surprising amount of skill as a big man. Projecting him on one line with Olofsson on a different line next season sounds incredible. Attack in waves and have some excellent shooters on the wing. It's a temporary setback move to try to build something different in the future.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
As a paper exercise, I think a line of Nylander-ROR-Goalofsson would be more exciting than Thompson-Berglund-Sobotka.

However, none of us know what ROR said behind closed doors. He may well have asked for the trade privately and Botts got good value for him.

There could have been a locker-room divide if ROR was on the roster and Jack became captain. At least early on, ROR was acting as the defacto captain... he was even leading the extra-curricular ROR practices. There were rumours that ROR wasn't happy with Landeskog was given the C...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad