The Ryan O’Reilly Discussion Quarantine Zone [All ROR Posts Here] (Mod Notes OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
O’Reilly
70 26 41 67
Berglund
23 2 2 4
Sobotka
64 5 7 12
Thompson
60 7 5 12

O’Reilly 70 gp 67 pts vs combined 147 gp 28pts

Just some advanced stats.

Reactions: Fearnot

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I really hope someone starts a chant about this today at the game, and Botts gets asked about it by one of the Buffalo media head-hunters

"Stu-pid trade"

"Fire Botterill"

I'm not feeling too creative right now, but I believe in someone else to make it happen.

Reactions: sabremike

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
I really hope someone starts a chant about this today at the game, and Botts gets asked about it by one of the Buffalo media head-hunters

"Stu-pid trade"

"Fire Botterill"

I'm not feeling too creative right now, but I believe in someone else to make it happen.
If you really want to get under his skin, cheer for ROR everytime he touches the puck.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I hope ROR gets a standing ovation that lasts like 5 minutes if the Sabres are brave enough to give him a video tribute

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
"We still want you"

There it is.

If you really want to get under his skin, cheer for ROR everytime he touches the puck.

I'm for that.

I hope ROR gets a standing ovation that lasts like 5 minutes if the Sabres are brave enough to give him a video tribute

I'm very for that.

Make it happen, fans who actually still go to these games!

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/trading-ryan-oreilly-looks-like-brutal-deal-for-sabres/

Tage Thompson, 21, is a former first-round pick who occasionally showcases the talents of an elite power forward. But the raw youngster began Saturday with seven goals, 12 points and a minus-17 rating in 60 games.

Thompson has more healthy scratches (10) than goals. The 6-foot-5 winger might turn out to be a fine player. But he probably should’ve spent this season in the minors.

Would Thompson have stayed in the NHL all season if he wasn’t part of the O’Reilly trade? Probably not.

The fact that Thompson has more healthy scratches than goals this season is the worst part of year 1 post-ROR trade for me.

I didn't expect much from the two cap dumps and the picks are in the future. I would much rather have had TnT in Rochester and hopefully looking promising than struggling all year in Buffalo.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/trading-ryan-oreilly-looks-like-brutal-deal-for-sabres/

The fact that Thompson has more healthy scratches than goals this season is the worst part of year 1 post-ROR trade for me.

I didn't expect much from the two cap dumps and the picks are in the future. I would much rather have had TnT in Rochester and hopefully looking promising than struggling all year in Buffalo.
Not only did they bring in a quitter and another useless forward, they also are showing no promise with the development of Thompson who was a prospect with huge question marks to begin with.
They rub us their inability into our faces all season with keeping him up for 60 games in which he probably looked like an Nhler in 5 of them.
They need to do a lot of things right to turn him into anything and it doesn't look good at where we are now.
Its not just the bad return to begin with but with the combined inability of the GM to correct his mistake after the fluke streak ended to halt the sinking of his team and the dumbs coach missusage of players brought in by JB.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
You really can't objectively claim that they traded for a locker room cancer in Berglund. Yeah, he quit, but it was totally unprecedented and unexpected by anyone who knew him, and by all accounts he was well liked in the Sabres locker room. It was due to mental health issues that no one knew about.

But yeah, it kind of sucks, because that was right about the time the wheels started to fall off. I wonder what would have happened if Berglund didn't have those issues and Phil wasn't such a moron with the way he was used. Maybe we'd still be in the playoff race.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Don't worry, maybe that low 1st will be a #2 center for us in 5 years. Just gotta nail that scouting! The rest of the return is already a #2. So there's that.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Mittelstadt wouldn't be in the position he's in.

A crucial second line could've taken flight, producing in December when the 1st line started to struggle.

All the bad Sobotka metrics become immediately positive, in the same role.

Our faceoff numbers are improved.

We're likely either in the playoffs still, or in the thick of the hunt.

Berglund doesn't leave our team, because he never existed here.

The Montour trade still happens, because San Jose.

Mittelstadt can actually be sent down.

Thompson is struggling to crack the Blues starting line-up.

What a f***ing world.

This is the worst trade of the last 20 years for the Sabres.

Last edited:

Moncton man

Jan 11, 2011
Moncton, NB
Without the trade you've got Skinner with Jack, Sam with ROR, Mittlestadt on the third line (if they insisted on keeping him up), no Thompson or Sobotka to drag around on the ice. So really the return was bad, but think of what could have been.
Was ROR really that much of a problem? And yeah the 7.5 million bonus that was due was money, but really it is what 2/10 of a percent of Pegula's worth or thereabouts. Or do they really need to factor it as separate money that he has budgeted for the Sabres and can't add more to? It didn't affect the team's salary cap any. Probably all of this has been said elsewhere in the thread already, but I didn't have the time, patience or heart to read through it all. Just imagining what could have been is all.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I guess the worst part of the trade is we are most likely going to lose the 1st round pick to Anaheim...stinks that there were conditions on the 1st

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
I guess the worst part of the trade is we are most likely going to lose the 1st round pick to Anaheim...stinks that there were conditions on the 1st
Stop crying about a pick between 20-31, when we are still getting one regardless (plus San Jose aint winning the cup) Got Montour out of that trade, I make that trade again.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Stop crying about a pick between 20-31, when we are still getting one regardless (plus San Jose aint winning the cup) Got Montour out of that trade, I make that trade again.
Yeah I guess it doesn't matter which pick it is as long as we have another one. You are right...everything is good now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad