Post-Game Talk: The Russian Bear Wakes Up - Pens Win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Switch linemates and see how they each perform.

Considering Kap has been fantastic for Geno and that Zucker was fantastic with Crosby, Uh...probably favors Sid.

And just look at how Crosby plays. He has been way more involved, tons more speed bursts from him than from Malkin.

The 2nd line is struggling BECAUSE of Malkin.

Sorry, not the linemates fault that you look like you're at practice and going for a light skate. Crosby is actually moving out there.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I'd like to see how Crosby performs with unfamiliar linemates and Malkin performs with the line he tore it up with last year.

I think you'd see a change in fortunes for both centers.

Malkin has to play with more interest. He's been lazy. Thats on him.

Unless its a training problem.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
The biggest problem is that the Penguins have no NHL players on their 4th line.

Jankowski is dreadful, one of the worst analytics in the league, DOC looks like a random guy, Sceviour is whatever.

Erod should actually be able to help there when he gets back. But they need just an average 4th line with speed.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

Jankowski is dreadful, one of the worst analytics in the league, DOC looks like a random guy, Sceviour is whatever.

Erod should actually be able to help there when he gets back. But they need just an average 4th line with speed.
Well With ZAR's return and him being a natural fit with Blue and Taz...

McCann is on the 4th line when he gets back. Think there's a strong chance he'll get traded though.

Obviously Riiko will replace Sceviour too :biglaugh:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'd like to see how Crosby performs with unfamiliar linemates and Malkin performs with the line he tore it up with last year.

I think you'd see a change in fortunes for both centers.

Well, compare what Malkin did last year with Jake and Rust to what Crosby has done this year with them. Kind of helps to answer your question.

Jake-Sid-Rust LOOKS good. And for all of that, Sid has 0 goals and 2 assists at 5 on 5 in the 6 full games since being united in New York.

(Hell, for the WHOLE SEASON, Zac Aston-Reese has more 5 on 5 goals than Sid)

Not sure why you'd leave Sid with 2 guys when he's been that unproductive at 5 on 5, especially when Malkin also is having issues.

Any thoughts @Gurglesons? :D

Considering Kap has been fantastic for Geno and that Zucker was fantastic with Crosby, Uh...probably favors Sid.

And just look at how Crosby plays. He has been way more involved, tons more speed bursts from him than from Malkin.

The 2nd line is struggling BECAUSE of Malkin.

Sorry, not the linemates fault that you look like you're at practice and going for a light skate. Crosby is actually moving out there.

And yet Crosby has NO 5 on 5 goals. Linemates of choice. Prime usage. And nada. But, his line does LOOK great playing a perimeter game.

Last edited:

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

That is far from our biggest problem. The Pens biggest problem the past two playoffs are the top 2 lines literally did next to nothing and the goaltending got outplayed. Also last playoffs the 3rd pairing literally gave up more than half the goals 5 of the 9 goals).

Pens could easily survive with what we have for the 4th line. Depending on who ultimately gets that spot next to Blueger and Tanev one of ZAR or McCann will be on that 4th line and I like O'Connor and Sceviour is also a solid 4th line winger. So we have plenty of winger options that are solid 4th line players. Jankowski has been up and down but I am not ready to give up on him just yet and Rodriguez and Lafferty can also play center. While nothing special we don't need the 4th line to be special and I think we have enough to make a solid 4th line.

If we get a vet at the deadline cheap then fine but that certainly is not the reason this team has been in the middle of the pack. The 5 biggest reasons are obvious and that is top 2 line 5v5 scoring, bad goaltending, the whole defense injured, PP, and PK. 4th line is the least of our problems. Could use a tweak but we can get by with the personal we have.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Malkin has to play with more interest. He's been lazy. Thats on him.

Unless its a training problem.

Do you have anything more substantial than "Hall of Fame superstar with three Cups and every major award with a history of sustained excellence and commitment to the team for 15 years" is lazy and disinterested? No? I thought not. These Malkin takes are so bad it's beyond comprehension.

Reactions: Andy99

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Well, compare what Malkin did last year with Jake and Rust to what Crosby has done this year with them. Kind of helps to answer your question.

Jake-Sid-Rust LOOKS good. And for all of that, Sid has 0 goals and 2 assists at 5 on 5 in the 6 full games since being united in New York.

Not sure why you'd leave Sid with 2 guys when he's been that unproductive at 5 on 5, especially when Malkin also is having issues.

Yes. But some people think Malkin has become a bum since last year.

This strikes me as one of those "take Evan Rodrigues off the 1st line and it immediately improves" no duhs that would immediately prove itself, if given the chance. Like Malkin will mysteriously remember how to play again at the exact time he's reunited with Guentzel and Rust.

Reactions: KIRK

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Do you have anything more substantial than "Hall of Fame superstar with three Cups and every major award with a history of sustained excellence and commitment to the team for 15 years" is lazy and disinterested? No? I thought not. These Malkin takes are so bad it's beyond comprehension.

I mean he has been this year. Don't know what to tell you. I'm Malkin's biggest fan too, but lets not kid ourselves and pretend that he doesn't get extremely lazy, so does Sid btw.

Malkin has deserved the right to be lazy, I don't really care. He has won 3 cups, he can put the puck in his own net if he wants.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Linemates don't make you stop skating hard.

He's probably discouraged at his line not working, as we've seen from every star on this team in the past.

Again, flip the linemates and watch how Sid's acting after 10 games with Zucker and Kapanen.

Reactions: KIRK

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

And yet Crosby has NO 5 on 5 goals. Linemates of choice. Prime usage. And nada. But, his line does LOOK great playing a perimeter game.

Crosby's line has generated tons of chances. Only reason for having no 5 on 5 goals is just due to bad luck. It's not indicative of his play.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
He's probably discouraged at his line not working, as we've seen from every star on this team in the past.

Again, flip the linemates and watch how Sid's acting after 10 games with Zucker and Kapanen.

I don't think Taking Kapanen away from Malkin is helping.

Swap Guentzel and Zucker, sure.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Weren't you the person who insisted Zucker sucked before they acquired him last year, only to go completely silent on the issue when Zucker started lighting it up here?

I said Zucker was a poor replacement for Kessel. I posted last year I was very pleased about his performance during his hot stretch. That being said, he is not a player you send a 1st round pick out the door for considering his cap hit. If it was an FA signing at that cap hit, I'd like him better. He's fine as a player, but can be frustrating, and isn't going to drive play. He doesn't do much at all for Geno. Minnesota posters will tell you all these things, go talk to them for more background.

I am happy to admit when I am wrong, especially when it's to our benefit. Kapanen looks a lot better than I thought he would, and I'm sure happy to have been wrong on that one. Brassard worked about as well as I expected and posted at the time, I was not happy to be right about that.

In general, maybe you should be a little more open-minded towards other opinions, and a little less quick with the attacks of posters who disagree with you. This is not a contest, it's just a place to BS about hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad