The Runner's Thread

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
**** that. I'm sleeping in and getting drunk the night before.

:laugh:

Last few years it has been raining, and the weather overall has been miserable so hopefully this year it's not the same otherwise I may be joining you in 2017.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Damn indeed. I was just passing halfway at that point. 4:55 for my first today.

Congrats on the first one. :cheers:

Which one? Any particular part more difficult than others for you?

First one I ever did I didn't train on hills, like really at all.... And then did a really, really hilly marathon here in Atlanta. I had looked at elevation charts before, but really didn't understand what the hell I was looking at while looking at them. After that race I sure learned quick. :laugh:

I was able to run 20+ easily on my training days, maybe not super fast, but easy effort wise. When I hit mile 17 on race day, I wanted to die. I couldn't even get up a moderate hill at that point. Ended getting a little burst of energy for the last 3 miles, and finished right at 4:50 and was super pumped. Anything under 5 hours was going to be considered a success, since prior to training for it my longest run ever was like 6 miles.

Mad Brills*

Is it weird that I prefer indoor track running than outside running?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Is it weird that I prefer indoor track running than outside running?

If I'm just kind of mindlessly jogging, I'd prefer a track.... indoor or outdoors. However, and I can't believe I'm saying this.... I've found some fun routines I've been doing on the treadmill.

Lately this has been a go to for me, to help improve my pace. 10 minute warmup, just at a moderate jog. Then I'll bust my ass with distance being the goal, for 8 minutes, and really ramp it up the further I get into that 8 minutes. Then I'll do a 2 minute recovery, but will never drop below a light jog. I'll repeat that for a total of 5 times, and with the warmup, gives me an even hour of running.

Record distance to date is just shy of 8 miles, and I do plan on continuing this until I hit the 8 mile mark. Then might find my next new game.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
Congrats on the first one. :cheers:

Which one? Any particular part more difficult than others for you?

First one I ever did I didn't train on hills, like really at all.... And then did a really, really hilly marathon here in Atlanta. I had looked at elevation charts before, but really didn't understand what the hell I was looking at while looking at them. After that race I sure learned quick. :laugh:

I was able to run 20+ easily on my training days, maybe not super fast, but easy effort wise. When I hit mile 17 on race day, I wanted to die. I couldn't even get up a moderate hill at that point. Ended getting a little burst of energy for the last 3 miles, and finished right at 4:50 and was super pumped. Anything under 5 hours was going to be considered a success, since prior to training for it my longest run ever was like 6 miles.

It was the Edmonton Marathon, and was about as flat as you can get. Hills weren't an issue, as I do hill repeats every Friday.The first half was great, ran it in 2:05, then began to gradually slow down. Km 32-38 were tough, but after pushing through, felt good for the the last 4k. Still sore, hoping everything is healed up by next weekend, going hiking at Mount Robson/Berg Lake.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
It was the Edmonton Marathon, and was about as flat as you can get. Hills weren't an issue, as I do hill repeats every Friday.The first half was great, ran it in 2:05, then began to gradually slow down. Km 32-38 were tough, but after pushing through, felt good for the the last 4k. Still sore, hoping everything is healed up by next weekend, going hiking at Mount Robson/Berg Lake.

Got that next one on the radar yet with that post race high?

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
Got that next one on the radar yet with that post race high?

Doing a 50 miler next month here in the Edmonton River Valley, then probably a 50k in October in Canmore, the Grizzly Ultra. Then taking the winter off, unless my arm gets twisted to do Honolulu. I'm registered for it, but have a fight the Friday before the race.

OilerPensfan97

Feb 27, 2014
Saint John, NB
Training for a 10k race once again this year. Was supposed to run 10k at a race last year, but I ended running the 5k route by mistake and had to be entered in the results for it instead. Such a shame because it was such a good run. Thankfully finished in the top 20 at least though, lol.

Oct 18, 2011
can anyone tell me why, my left calf dies so quickly when i run? it never gives me any trouble on the bike or elliptical, but when i run it just get's tight and heavy really quick, any ideas?

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
can anyone tell me why, my left calf dies so quickly when i run? it never gives me any trouble on the bike or elliptical, but when i run it just get's tight and heavy really quick, any ideas?

Possible that the impact is revealing a weakness in the calf relative to other parts of your body. Foam roll the hell out of it. And stretch. do each for minimum 30 seconds, repeat 3x.

Lunge w/ left leg back
Place foot against wall with toes on wall, lean in (don't know if that makes sense)
Reverse calf raise (?)-On a box, or stairs, stand with heels off the box, knees locked, lower yourself until stretch is felt, after 30 seconds come back up, bend your knees and lower again for 30.

My wording sucks, but these are the 3 main ones I used for my calf tightness. Getting some needles or cupping may help a bit too. Moreso the needles.

hitman9172

Sep 30, 2006
Having problems with stress fractures and inflammation in my shins. Used to run outdoors a lot. Now I can't run for 2-3 months.

Anybody got tips on how to prevent stress fractures in the future when I get back into running?

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
Having problems with stress fractures and inflammation in my shins. Used to run outdoors a lot. Now I can't run for 2-3 months.

Anybody got tips on how to prevent stress fractures in the future when I get back into running?

That I don't, I would talk to your physio about that one, I think. Or a PT that specializes in running.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
That I don't, I would talk to your physio about that one, I think. Or a PT that specializes in running.

Probably your best bet.

Form, stretching, and a good pair of shoes are really all you can try to do without a doctor's advice, but there could be some other factor at play that only a medical professional would be able to pick up on.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Dynamic or static?

I've always done both before, and static after. Doing static stretches when you wake up, before and after being active, and before bed is great, makes you feel very loose and capable. Dynamic before being active as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad