The Runner's Thread

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Figured this would be a good thread for the runners among us to discuss training, shoes, etc.

I'll start. My normal run is a hair under five miles in about 40 minutes; my frequency is 5 times or more per week.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Might as well add an intro template to this:

Age - 18
What I Run - Mid-Distance (400m specifically)
How Often - Twice a day, 5 days a week
PRs - 50.0 for the 400m, 2:00 for the 800m
Why I Run - Because I'm ******* insane

Actually have Districts next week, looking forward to that.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Might as well add an intro template to this:

Age - 18
What I Run - Mid-Distance (400m specifically)
How Often - Twice a day, 5 days a week
PRs - 50.0 for the 400m, 2:00 for the 800m
Why I Run - Because I'm ******* insane

Actually have Districts next week, looking forward to that.

400 meter is a killer. We used to have test every summer when I played hockey. 400 and 3000 meter. The 400 was by far the worst. Dont know how you do it. Dont remember exactly, but I think I was at around a minute, and I was completely gassed.:laugh:

50.0 is pretty good for your age group, I assume?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
400 meter is a killer. We used to have test every summer when I played hockey. 400 and 3000 meter. The 400 was by far the worst. Dont know how you do it. Dont remember exactly, but I think I was at around a minute, and I was completely gassed.:laugh:

50.0 is pretty good for your age group, I assume?

800 is far, far worse.

It's good for my age, but not spectacular. I need to find a way to get down to around 49.0 if I want to really go anywhere out of Districts with it.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
800 is far, far worse.

It's good for my age, but not spectacular. I need to find a way to get down to around 49.0 if I want to really go anywhere out of Districts with it.

My HS track coach MADE quarter milers. The workouts had a heavy dose of 600 breakdowns. 600, 400, 300, 200, 100, finishing with another 600. Our 4 x 400 relay ran something like 3:12 my senior year.

But not me. I threw the shot and discus, then the hammer in college. I'm not sure I ran a 600 as a workout my whole track career. :laugh:

Good luck in Districts!

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
My HS track coach MADE quarter milers. The workouts had a heavy dose of 600 breakdowns. 600, 400, 300, 200, 100, finishing with another 600. Our 4 x 400 relay ran something like 3:12 my senior year.

But not me. I threw the shot and discus, then the hammer in college. I'm not sure I ran a 600 as a workout my whole track career. :laugh:

Good luck in Districts!

:amazed:

Our best was 3:22 last season (proud to be apart of that). That's absolutely insane.

member 202355

I'd be interested in trying this. Do you get a break in between each level, or is it non-stop?

I don't think they really have anything like this in the US. Might be able to convince my coach to let a group of us try this after Area though.

No, there is no stopping between levels. You have to run non-stop until you're simply so exhausted you can't go any longer.

A good way to practice is by setting up cones 20 meters apart and just running back and forth.

I'm pretty sure that most soccer players do this exercise in training camps.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
No, there is no stopping between levels. You have to run non-stop until you're simply so exhausted you can't go any longer.

A good way to practice is by setting up cones 20 meters apart and just running back and forth.

I'm pretty sure that most soccer players do this exercise in training camps.

Thought so.

I'll suggest it to him. Would be a nice little game/workout for us to try.

It doesn't get up past 78 pace for a 400, so I honestly don't think it'd be that difficult. But I'm sure it's totally different once you actually start doing it.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Has anyone ever done the beep test/shuttle run?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-stage_fitness_test

Exhausting as hell, I've gotten to level 12.

I did this in Grade 8 (8 years ago) and got either 12 or 13, can't remember. I remember one kid quit at 0.5, he was overweight and as kids - he never heard the end of it. I'm pretty sure he could have gone more, but he knew he was going to be the first one out, so why even attempt it? :laugh: Looking back, smart kid.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I'm a big runner, but I don't run for track or anything, I just run because it lets me get away, and I run for distance. Did my first marathon last October, and have my next marathon scheduled for next October, the Marine Corps Marathon in DC which is suppose to be a HUGE and AWESOME event.

Also signed up for the Nashville Tough Mudder in June, and even though this isn't just running, I'm still trying to figure out which 70.3 Ironman to sign up for in August, and figure out which one makes the most sense travel wise. Will also sign up for a 1/2 marathon as a tune up race sometime in September before the MCM, but that won't be anything big or any race worth noting.

Goals for the year are a sub 1:45 1/2 marathon, and a marathon with sub 9 minute miles. Don't really have any goals for the 70.3, as that will be dependent on the bike situation, so just want a healthy finish for that race.

Marty Straka

HFBoards Senior Citizen
Aug 11, 2009
Toronto, ON
I'm a big runner, but I don't run for track or anything, I just run because it lets me get away, and I run for distance. Did my first marathon last October, and have my next marathon scheduled for next October, the Marine Corps Marathon in DC which is suppose to be a HUGE and AWESOME event.

Also signed up for the Nashville Tough Mudder in June, and even though this isn't just running, I'm still trying to figure out which 70.3 Ironman to sign up for in August, and figure out which one makes the most sense travel wise. Will also sign up for a 1/2 marathon as a tune up race sometime in September before the MCM, but that won't be anything big or any race worth noting.

Goals for the year are a sub 1:45 1/2 marathon, and a marathon with sub 9 minute miles. Don't really have any goals for the 70.3, as that will be dependent on the bike situation, so just want a healthy finish for that race.

Training for my first Half Marathon in May at the BlueNose Marathon in Halifax, NS.

Never been a big runner but my good friend is an IronMan athlete who's competed in numerous 70.3s.

My goal for my race would be at or around 2hrs.

I did my first sprint duathlon last October 3K run, 15K Bike, 3k Run.. which I did in 1h10mins.. which was exactly what I set as a goal.. not an overly fast runner but a fairly strong cyclist. I am looking to possibly do my first 70.3 late next year.. but I am not a very strong swimmer so that will have to be a major focus for myself... not to mention the endurance of the entire race.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA

I was a runner in High School (wasn't the best on the team by any stretch) and after my Senior year I ran the Marine Corps Marathon (probably won't run another marathon), and it is one of the best atmospheres from what I gathered

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA
I'm running the Cherry Blossom 10 miler this Sunday in DC. Never did it before. I've run the Hershey Half 3x and doing it again this year. My buddy and I would like to do a Marathon next year (2015). I'm looking at doing some sprint tri's in the area next year too.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I was a runner in High School (wasn't the best on the team by any stretch) and after my Senior year I ran the Marine Corps Marathon (probably won't run another marathon), and it is one of the best atmospheres from what I gathered

That's what I've heard. Absolutely stoked for it, couldn't come soon enough.

Training for my first Half Marathon in May at the BlueNose Marathon in Halifax, NS.

Never been a big runner but my good friend is an IronMan athlete who's competed in numerous 70.3s.

My goal for my race would be at or around 2hrs.

I did my first sprint duathlon last October 3K run, 15K Bike, 3k Run.. which I did in 1h10mins.. which was exactly what I set as a goal.. not an overly fast runner but a fairly strong cyclist. I am looking to possibly do my first 70.3 late next year.. but I am not a very strong swimmer so that will have to be a major focus for myself... not to mention the endurance of the entire race.

Nice. How has your training gone?

I'm definitely going to get at least 1 70.3 in this year, maybe 2-3 if I'm lucky. Then in 2015 I want to do the full thing, and plan on hiring a coach for it and everything. I have a pool at my gym to swim in, but I need to use a better job of actually doing it. I'm a really strong runner and biker, though, so really I just need to tread water for that part of the race.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I'm running the Cherry Blossom 10 miler this Sunday in DC. Never did it before. I've run the Hershey Half 3x and doing it again this year. My buddy and I would like to do a Marathon next year (2015). I'm looking at doing some sprint tri's in the area next year too.

Why wait till 2015? If you can already do a half now, and have before, find a full to train for this upcoming fall.

Marty Straka

HFBoards Senior Citizen
Aug 11, 2009
Toronto, ON
That's what I've heard. Absolutely stoked for it, couldn't come soon enough.

Nice. How has your training gone?

I'm definitely going to get at least 1 70.3 in this year, maybe 2-3 if I'm lucky. Then in 2015 I want to do the full thing, and plan on hiring a coach for it and everything. I have a pool at my gym to swim in, but I need to use a better job of actually doing it. I'm a really strong runner and biker, though, so really I just need to tread water for that part of the race.

it's going ok.. I think im worrying to much on my stride as I'm really trying to avoid being a heel striker... which is also affecting my calfs/shins and I think I need to look for a new shoe brand as I just don't think Im using what I should be. Right now in my training I'm running at (extrapolating of course) probably a 2h17min half which means I need to trim off 20mins off that pace if I want to achieve my goal.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
it's going ok.. I think im worrying to much on my stride as I'm really trying to avoid being a heel striker... which is also affecting my calfs/shins and I think I need to look for a new shoe brand as I just don't think Im using what I should be. Right now in my training I'm running at (extrapolating of course) probably a 2h17min half which means I need to trim off 20mins off that pace if I want to achieve my goal.

What kind of shoes do you have now? How many miles have you put in them already?

I'm a big fan of Brooks. I have their Glycerin 11 for longer runs, their Launch for shorter runs, and Ghost 6 also for longer runs. I'm a big fan. Also have a pair of Nike Vomero 8s. I probably prefer the Glycerin 11 out of all of them, myself. All of the local run shops out here are huge Brooks fans, and push all their customers in that direction even vs more expensive Asics models that are more popular and more expensive.

Have you ever gone to a local running shop to have your stride analyzed and let them pair you up with the proper running shoe?

Have you gotten shin splints? I have a client of mine that came to me right around New Year Day, and he had runners knee and shin splints. With some basic stretching I was able to get rid of both of those problems for him, and had him complete his first half marathon in mid-March.

Marty Straka

HFBoards Senior Citizen
Aug 11, 2009
Toronto, ON
What kind of shoes do you have now? How many miles have you put in them already?

I'm a big fan of Brooks. I have their Glycerin 11 for longer runs, their Launch for shorter runs, and Ghost 6 also for longer runs. I'm a big fan. Also have a pair of Nike Vomero 8s. I probably prefer the Glycerin 11 out of all of them, myself. All of the local run shops out here are huge Brooks fans, and push all their customers in that direction even vs more expensive Asics models that are more popular and more expensive.

Have you ever gone to a local running shop to have your stride analyzed and let them pair you up with the proper running shoe?

Have you gotten shin splints? I have a client of mine that came to me right around New Year Day, and he had runners knee and shin splints. With some basic stretching I was able to get rid of both of those problems for him, and had him complete his first half marathon in mid-March.

Right now i've been running in the Saucony Kinvara 4s. I've been running in them for a month or two. I did get my stride analyzed but didn't overly feel confident in the guys assessment and the shoes he suggested just weren't overly comfortable. My friend suggested I go to New Balance as he got great service and was impressed with them. Before really paying attention to my strike, I knew I was a serious heel striker as near the beginning of my run I'd get a huge burning/stinging sensation in my shin's like shin splits, i'd try to run it off and it would gradually go away after a bit but continues to flair up during the course of my run. I've also noticed after I started doing long runs that I tend to pronate?

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Age - 19
What I Run - Typically 5k is my favorite. Don't really like going longer than that.
How Often - About 4 times a week from April through the summer. Avoid running in the winter. :laugh: (I should probably start again soon, I'm rusty)
PRs - High 18 minute 5k.
Why I Run - I was always pretty decent at it. Gave me more endurance than anyone I've ever played with in hockey. (if only I had a shot, hands, size, and vision. I really could have been something. :laugh:)

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Hey folks!

Recreational long-distance runner here. Started doing half-marathons about 10 years ago in order to lose weight. Found it a nice meditative and social hobby. Ran my first full marathon a few years ago, and have now run 4.

42 years old, my PR's (not impressive):

1/2 marathon: 1:44:08
Full marathon: 3:47:53

Sidelined by a hamstring injury last month, hope to get back on the road as soon as it warms up!

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
So I always struggle to find motivation to run. I don't hate it, but I also don't really enjoy it which makes getting up early a chore.

Today I ran (heh) across this kickstarter that might change all that. Interesting (albeit not entirely unique) concept to give yourself some extra motivation. It's in kickstarted phase now, but hopefully won't be too long before being a full app.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...eal-world-territory-control-gam?ref=discovery

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad