The Rocket

C4R105

Nov 9, 2014
Just watched 2005 movie about Maurice Richard. Have to say it is so far the best hockey movie I watched. Was wondering about historical accuracy. Do you know the main "historical mistakes" in the movie and let´s say the most notable omissions? Was Richard really considerd injury prone to the point Habs wanted to get rid of him ? What about incidents with punching the linesman (did it really happened as portayed in the movie?), what about his relationship with Dick Irvin ? And what about incident with knocking out rangers player (Dill ??) twice ? And who are your top 7 Habs players of all time ?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Yes, I think it's largely accurate. Good movie!

Richard was considered injury-prone early on, and the Habs thought of getting rid of him. The punching-the-linesman incident did happen, although I guess only a few people nearby (none probably alive now) could say if it was accurately depicted.

The Dick Irvin depiction in the film I thought (guessed) was likely exaggerated. The film portrays him as a super-gruff, no nonsense, francophone-baiting coach who already looks like he has one foot in the grave. I suspect his relationship with Richard and others were probably a bit smoother, more respectful, or least with more nuance than was portrayed in the film.

But yeah, it's a great movie, regardless of the hockey content.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
Just watched 2005 movie about Maurice Richard. Have to say it is so far the best hockey movie I watched. Was wondering about historical accuracy. Do you know the main "historical mistakes" in the movie and let´s say the most notable omissions? Was Richard really considerd injury prone to the point Habs wanted to get rid of him ? What about incidents with punching the linesman (did it really happened as portayed in the movie?), what about his relationship with Dick Irvin ? And what about incident with knocking out rangers player (Dill ??) twice ? And who are your top 7 Habs players of all time ?
The Panther sums it up pretty well.

Top 7 Habs players of all time:

1. Maurice "Rocket" Richard (who else?) He is the greatest Habs player of all time and no one will never dethrone him. His legend/legacy need no introduction.

2. Jean Béliveau, he would be number 1 if not for the Rocket. Greatest all-around player in Habs history.

3. Guy Lafleur, the most offensive gifted player in Habs history.

4. Doug Harvey, greatest Habs defenseman of all time and third behind Orr and Bourque in NHL history.

5. Jacque Plante, he is the greatest Habs goalie of all time, but not in the NHL history. Innovator being the first goalie to wear the mask.

6. Larry Robinson, best defenseman on the greatest dynasty (Habs of the 70's) and the greatest team of all time in NHL history (1976-77 Habs team).

7. Patrick Roy, second best goalie in Habs history behind Plante, he changed the game forever with his butterfly style. He was the last true superstar/all time great the Habs had. And he is the greatest goaltender of all time in NHL history.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Excellent movie.

Roy Dupuis was the perfect and probably the only actor who could have played Richard and he nailed it.Reminds me of Gerard Depardieu and the Obelix role; no one else could have played it.

Reactions: Casanova

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

It was an excellent movie, and I don't say this about hockey movies much, or Canadian movies (yeah I'm Canadian, but most Canadian movies are boring).

Irvin I think appears a lot more gruff in the movie than he was in real life. The actor who played him was excellent though - Stephen McHattie. He was Eddie Shore in the movie about Don Cherry. He also was on Seinfeld as Elaine's boyfriend for a few episodes. Great actor, very underrated and excellent character actor. In every thing I have ever seen him in he plays a gruff guy, so maybe it was more the actor than anything. I think Dick Irvin Jr. was a gentler soul than his dad perhaps, but Dick Irvin, in comparison to other coaches of that time seems to be easier going than, say Punch Imlach or others.

I didn't notice a lot of historic mistakes, if any. "Miracle" which was made by Disney so you assume it would have lots of them wasn't as bad as I thought, but there were still a couple where if you knew hockey well enough and its history that it is a little off. But the Rocket? Hmmm.........tough one. Even when Richard is complaining about the possibility of English players getting phantom assists so he wouldn't win the Art Ross, that was all something mentioned at the time.

C4R105

Nov 9, 2014
Excellent movie.

Roy Dupuis was the perfect and probably the only actor who could have played Richard and he nailed it.Reminds me of Gerard Depardieu and the Obelix role; no one else could have played it.
Ironically I think portrayal of Richard was what bothered me the most as I do not think in reality Richard was that "enigmatic", always serious and thoughtful .... I would expect just a regular funny guy who wanted to have fun with his teammates, who just happened to become great hockey player and cultural icon. Maybe I am wrong about that and in reality he was like portrayed in the movie. (And I am not saying Dupuis is not a great actor)

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
It was an excellent movie, and I don't say this about hockey movies much, or Canadian movies (yeah I'm Canadian, but most Canadian movies are boring).
It is probably the best serious hockey movie ever made. It's a genuinely good piece of art. As for Canadian movies, I find your lack of faith disturbing. Atom Egoyan is one of my favourite directors! Cronenberg has some damn good ones too.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
I haven't seen the movie.

One thing rarely (if ever) mentioned about Maurice Richard is that, while he was French-speaking, and a Quebecer, he was not primarily "French Canadien" within the traditional meaning of the term...i.e. a descendant of "les habitants", the original French settlers of the St. Lawrence Valley. Rather, he had mostly Acadian ancestry, with most of his ancestors coming from the Maritimes originally.

This is not a problem if he is referred to as francophone or a Quebecer. But I've read articles that seem to imply that he is a descendent of les Habitants (which gives its name to the Habs) or les Canadiens (which also gives its name to the team). He is partially descended from French Canadiens, but is mostly Acadian.

I also don't know if he identified as Acadian or even cared about it.

Henri Richard (obviously), Jean Beliveau, and Ray Bourque also have mostly or significantly Acadian ancestry. Richard, Beliveau, and Bourque were 3 of the original Acadian family names of the Annapolis Valley of Nova Scotia, and they remain among the most common Acadian names today, mostly in New Brunswick.

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I haven't seen the movie.

One thing rarely (if ever) mentioned about Maurice Richard is that, while he was French-speaking, and a Quebecer, he was not primarily "French Canadien" within the traditional meaning of the term...i.e. a descendant of "les habitants", the original French settlers of the St. Lawrence Valley. Rather, he had mostly Acadian ancestry, with most of his ancestors coming from the Maritimes originally.

This is not a problem if he is referred to as francophone or a Quebecer. But I've read articles that seem to imply that he is a descendent of les Habitants (which gives its name to the Habs) or les Canadiens (which also gives its name to the team). He is partially descended from French Canadiens, but is mostly Acadian.

I also don't know if he identified as Acadian or even cared about it.

Henri Richard (obviously), Jean Beliveau, and Ray Bourque also have mostly or significantly Acadian ancestry. Richard, Beliveau, and Bourque were 3 of the original Acadian family names of the Annapolis Valley of Nova Scotia, and they remain among the most common Acadian names today, mostly in New Brunswick.
Interesting. I am aware that Richard's parents were from the Gaspé Peninsula, but this is within Quebec itself, not New Brunswick (maybe it was historically? I dunno). Not that it matters either way, but I'm curious how do you know that the Richards had mostly Acadian ancestry?

While I'm on this subject, has anyone looked at this book?:
51CP1Q4799L._SX358_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's Maurice Richard: Reluctant Hero (2001), by Frank Orr and Chris Goyens. I've long searched for a good biography of Richard (in English), but to my surprise I've never seen one. Is this one any good?

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Interesting. I am aware that Richard's parents were from the Gaspé Peninsula, but this is within Quebec itself, not New Brunswick (maybe it was historically? I dunno). Not that it matters either way, but I'm curious how do you know that the Richards had mostly Acadian ancestry?

While I'm on this subject, has anyone looked at this book?:
51CP1Q4799L._SX358_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's Maurice Richard: Reluctant Hero (2001), by Frank Orr and Chris Goyens. I've long searched for a good biography of Richard (in English), but to my surprise I've never seen one. Is this one any good?
Yes, his Acadian ancestors lived in Quebec for several generations. Acadians have lived in Quebec since the 1700s. They are especially prominent in the Magdelan Islands (where they are the majority), in the Gaspe (especially along the Bay of Chaleur and in the Matapedia Valley), and in the area directly across the river from Trois Rivieres (where Jean Beliveau's family is from). In these places it is common for Acadian families to fly both the Quebec flag and the Acadian flag.

As you mentioned, Maurice and Henri's parents were from the Amqui area in the Matapedia Valley in the Gaspe. Prior to that, multiple generations lived in the Magdelan Islands, and prior to that in what are now the Maritimes.

It is well-known among Acadian researchers that they are Acadian. I notice that under "List of Acadians" on Wikipedia that Maurice and Henri and Jean Beliveau are listed. Personally, I have an interest in Acadian history, and also in genealogy, I've searched through Maurice Richard's genealogy on various sites years ago.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
It is probably the best serious hockey movie ever made. It's a genuinely good piece of art. As for Canadian movies, I find your lack of faith disturbing. Atom Egoyan is one of my favourite directors! Cronenberg has some damn good ones too.

I mean Canadian films, not Canadian directors. Our greatest TV show of all-time is Corner Gas, no offense to Brent Butt, but come on! Cronenberg is a good one, James Cameron of course, etc. Lots of fine ones, but their best work is never here.

Reactions: Merya

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I’ve never heard of Richard’s Acadian ancestry before. Interesting.

I’m only two generations removed from Bonaventure, Quebec and know almost nothing of that town or my family who lived there for about 300 years.

I’d love to visit Gaspe someday.

Edit: I saw “The Sweater” for the first time two weeks ago and loved it. I’d also love to see “The Rocket.” I believe it’s on YouTube in its entirety.

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
Top 7 Habs to ever play for Montreal:
1. Jean Beliveau (#1 talent wise. Top 10 Player and a either the #4 or #5 best forward ever, between him and crosby.)
2. Maurice Richard (#1 Favourite Player. #6 or 7 forward (Ovechkin) of all time and rejuvenated the NHL post war era.)
3. Larry Robinson (Best Defenseman)
4. Patrick Roy (Best Goalie)
5. Doug Harvey (Best Defenseman in the 1950s era NHL.)
6. Guy Lafleur (Best Player during their 1970s dynasty)
7. Ken Dryden (2nd Best Player of their 70s dynasty and one of the best goalies during the time he played.)

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Jun 13, 2012
Top 7 Habs to ever play for Montreal:
1. Jean Beliveau (#1 talent wise. Top 10 Player and a either the #4 or #5 best forward ever, between him and crosby.)
2. Maurice Richard (#1 Favourite Player. #6 or 7 forward (Ovechkin) of all time and rejuvenated the NHL post war era.)
3. Larry Robinson (Best Defenseman)
4. Patrick Roy (Best Goalie)
5. Doug Harvey (Best Defenseman in the 1950s era NHL.)
6. Guy Lafleur (Best Player during their 1970s dynasty)
7. Ken Dryden (2nd Best Player of their 70s dynasty and one of the best goalies during the time he played.)
Sorry but Maurice is and will always be the greatest Habs of all time and Béliveau second. However if this is your personal top 7 Habs list, then fine.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I mean Canadian films, not Canadian directors. Our greatest TV show of all-time is Corner Gas, no offense to Brent Butt, but come on! Cronenberg is a good one, James Cameron of course, etc. Lots of fine ones, but their best work is never here.

Quebec had incredible TV shows for a while.It always had a much richer artistic culture than ROC for obvious reasons of necessity.

The Omerta series (police/mafia/biker show) was great and I've heard The Sopranos were vaguely inspired by it.Not sure where I read this.The actor playing the Mafia Don had nothing to envy James Gandolfini, though his role wasn't as central.Le Dernier Chapitre was also pretty good (biker gangs show), also starring Roy Dupuis (same actor playing the Rocket).

Quebec was also very strong for children TV shows IMO.So many memorable ones.

Then you have talkshows like TLMEP which I don't think have an ROC equivalent.

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Quebec had incredible TV shows for a while.It always had a much richer artistic culture than ROC for obvious reasons of necessity.

The Omerta series (police/mafia/biker show) was great and I've heard The Sopranos were vaguely inspired by it.Not sure where I read this.The actor playing the Mafia Don had nothing to envy James Gandolfini, though his role wasn't as central.Le Dernier Chapitre was also pretty good (biker gangs show), also starring Roy Dupuis (same actor playing the Rocket).

Quebec was also very strong for children TV shows IMO.So many memorable ones.

Then you have talkshows like TLMEP which I don't think have an ROC equivalent.
Indeed, the popular culture produced by Quebec in the 1960s to 1990s is something that English Canada should look to with enormous envy.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
I’ve never heard of Richard’s Acadian ancestry before. Interesting.

I’m only two generations removed from Bonaventure, Quebec and know almost nothing of that town or my family who lived there for about 300 years.

I’d love to visit Gaspe someday.

Edit: I saw “The Sweater” for the first time two weeks ago and loved it. I’d also love to see “The Rocket.” I believe it’s on YouTube in its entirety.
Musée acadien du Québec à Bonaventure : Une culture bien vivante!

Bonaventure was founded by Acadians and is still majority Acadian. The Quebec Acadian Museum is located there, they have a short bio of Rocket on their website.

You should visit. I am planning to drive up to the Gaspe this summer. It's reputed to be one of the most beautiful places in Canada.

Reactions: rfournier103

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Jun 13, 2012
Personal Top 7 list.
Beliveau was a more talented player in my opinion, but #9 is my favourite player.
Indeed, Béliveau was more talented and a better all-around player than Richard for sure. But in the Habs history only (not the NHL history), no one is greater than Maurice and no one will never dethrone him as the greatest Habs player of all time.

By the way, you made a great list though.

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I think it's fine to distinguish between best player and most important/iconic. In the latter category, no Canadien will ever replace Maurice Richard. But I'm also fine with anyone determining that Beliveau was the better player, for which I think there's some evidence, depending on your perspective.

I do think Richard likely had the longer, sustained 'prime' and was a better playoff performer (at that, he might be the best player ever), but then again Beliveau c.1955 to 1961 might have hit a peak that Richard could only reach occasionally.

This is just my impression from historical records and players' anecdotes, but anyway I don't think it's unreasonable to argue that Beliveau (or Lafleur) was Richard's equal.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Jun 13, 2012
I think it's fine to distinguish between best player and most important/iconic. In the latter category, no Canadien will ever replace Maurice Richard. But I'm also fine with anyone determining that Beliveau was the better player, for which I think there's some evidence, depending on your perspective.

I do think Richard likely had the longer, sustained 'prime' and was a better playoff performer (at that, he might be the best player ever), but then again Beliveau c.1955 to 1961 might have hit a peak that Richard could only reach occasionally.

This is just my impression from historical records and players' anecdotes, but anyway I don't think it's unreasonable to argue that Beliveau (or Lafleur) was Richard's equal.
You're right, but concerning the greatest Habs players of all time, in a as great and storied franchise than the Montreal Canadiens, we (Habs fans) usually rank the players for their skills AND their importance/iconic.

This is why you will always find Maurice number 1 on most lists. When you search on the Internet those lists, the top 3 is nearly always the same: Richard, Béliveau and Lafleur. Some have Plante or Harvey in the third spot instead of Lafleur but the latter is usually the third.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010

The guy who did Incendies has he done something else?

I haven't even seen Incendies though I'm just name dropping.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad