The Rochester Americans 2015-2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Does anyone have an idea what Rochester will look like opening night? Is something like this a possibility...?

Varone - O'Reilly - Akeson
Roderigues - Schaller - Baptiste
Carrier - Catenacci - Bailey
D'amigo - Ellis - Kaleta

McCabe - Sanguinetti
Donovan - Ruhwedel
Austin - Leduc

Makarov
Lieuwen

Seems like they will have a pretty decent team to at least start the year with good depth up front and a solid top-4 on D. The goalies obviously are a concern though...

I'd be surprised if Ruhwedel makes it thru waivers.

Darcy shall snatch.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Did I miss Cunney filling out his coaching staff?

Cunney mentioned during rookie camp that he is expecting to hire one more assistant (to handle the defensemen). Chris Taylor and Bob Janosz are returning.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Darcy shall snatch.

I think it pretty unlikely he'd be claimed. Not impossible, but less likely than not. I hope it doesn't happen because it'd really hurt Rochester, especially once Buffalo makes a call-up on defense.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Darcy shall snatch.

That would be surprising. Arizona is already rostering four RHD in Connor Murphy (lock), Z. Michalek (lock), Michael Stone (81 NHL games last year - lock), and Stefan Elliott (who they just acquired in the Gormley trade to pick up some offense from the back end). Unless they plan on keeping five RHD, Arizona wouldn't seem to be a fit for Ruhwedel--and Buffalo would just re-claim him if the 'Yotes sent him to the AHL (which the thrifty Yotes wouldn't do because he's on a one-way deal this season, but I digress).

I think Rudy passes through waivers.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Every year we go through this. 99% of players get through waivers initially. I doubt there's much risk in anyone getting claimed.

On another note, still think the Amerks desperately need some defensive depth. Jon Landry, who played in Hershey last year, is of particular interest to me. 200+ AHL games but not a veteran yet. Still a free agent as far as I can tell.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@AmerksHockey - Colin Jacobs was loaned to the #Amerks today.

@AmerksHockey - Note To All Amerks Season Ticket Holders - Season ticket pick-up begins Monday.
Extended office hours are from 8:30 am ET - 7:00 pm ET - Monday-Wednesday and Friday. 8:30 am ET - 3:00 pm ET - Thursdays.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
The Rochester Americans announced today that the team has signed defenseman Spiro Goulakos to a one-year, two-way American Hockey League contract.
Goulakos, 25, completed his four-year college career at Colgate University last season.
He had 14 points (3+11) and 36 penalty minutes in 26 games while serving as team captain for the second consecutive season.
In four seasons at Colgate, the 6-foot-2, 190-pound native of Montreal, Quebec, registered 71 points (22+49) and 176 penalty minutes in 130 games.

http://www.amerks.com/newsX.asp?type=News&aID=1355

‏@SabresProspects - Spiro Goulakos inked by Amerks. Looked good in Rookie Camp. Great story overcoming Hodgkin's Lymphoma to return as high performer. #Colgate

@AmerksHockey - Sign up to become an Amerks Insider (or Sabres Insider or Bandits Insider Or First Niagara Center Insider or sign up for all four Insiders!) and receive special offers throughout the 2015-2016 season - http://www.amerks.com/page.asp?adhID=44

Last edited:

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
A few former Amerks have found landing spots in the last few days. Jordan Samuels-Thomas signed with the Ontario Reign, the AHL affiliate of the Kings, while Kevin Sundher signed with the Reading Royals, the ECHL affiliate of the Flyers. Evan Rankin signed with the Toledo Walleye of the ECHL.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Eh, Amerks look set for forwards. They've got some good vets, and they had to leave room for the young guys just turning pro to get ice time. Seems like Rochester could still use another 2-3 defensemen, though.
Having Austin and Leduc both in the starting lineup doesn't look great, and it'll only look worse once there are any injuries.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Eh, Amerks look set for forwards. They've got some good vets, and they had to leave room for the young guys just turning pro to get ice time. Seems like Rochester could still use another 2-3 defensemen, though.
Having Austin and Leduc both in the starting lineup doesn't look great, and it'll only look worse once there are any injuries.

Not just that, but imagine what happens when they have injuries AND the Sabres have injuries. Austin and Leduc might be getting 2nd pairing minutes. :help:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@AmerksHockey - Buffalo Sabres have reduced their training camp roster by twelve more players.

Ten players have been loaned to the Rochester Americans (AHL) - Justin Bailey, Nicholas Baptiste, Jerry D'Amigo (pending waivers), Jean Dupuy, William Carrier, Daniel Catenacci, Justin Kea, Jack Nevins, Philip Varone (pending waivers) and Andrey Makarov.
Two players have been released from their tryouts and will report to Rochester for training camp - Forward Matt Garbowsky - Defenseman Matt Prapavessis.

The Amerks will open Training Camp on Monday, September 28 with the following roster -
Forwards - Justin Bailey, Nicholas Baptiste, William Carrier, Daniel Catenacci, Jean Dupuy, Matt Garbowsky, Cason Hohmann, Scott Jacklin, Colin Jacobs, Justin Kea, William Kessel, Garrett Klotz, Chris Langkow, Allan McPherson, Jack Nevins and Mike Seidel.
Defensemen - Josh Chapman, Spiro Goulakos, Matt Prapavessis, Zach Tolkinen. Goaltenders - Andrey Makarov, C.J. Motte.

http://www.amerks.com/newsX.asp?type=News&aID=1357

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@kevinoDandC - The #Amerks defense just got a whole lot better. Former Florida Panthers prospect Colby Robak has signed an AHL contract.
Colby Robak played 12 NHL games last season with Florida and Anaheim. He broke into pro hockey with the Amerks in 2010-2011.

Jason B ‏@jasonn27 - like the signing. Knew they needed another experienced defenseman. They were way too thin.

@kevinoDandC - With Jerry D'Amigo on waivers until noon, he's not allowed to practice with the #Amerks today.
Phil Varone also can't be in the ice with the #Amerks yet. He will also go on 24-hour waivers at noon today.

Update - Per @FriedgeHNIC - all on waivers yesterday went unclaimed. That includes Jerry D'Amigo (from Sabres to Amerks).
LaxSabre - Phil Varone too.

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC - Everyone on waivers yesterday cleared.

@kevinoDandC - The #Amerks 60th anniversary logo adorns center ice.
From the arena's river side, the 60th anniversary logo looks like a tribute to #Amerks icons who wore #9.

Last edited:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
It's strange that have Rodrigues on that roster. I know he'll end up there, but it doesn't have Cal O'Reilly, Akeson, Donovan, etc....who are also sure to get sent down. Maybe the Sabres changed their mind?

The training camp roster on the website doesn't list Rodrigues. So someone either made a mistake or they changed their mind. Maybe they were going to send him down and changed there mind when another forward wasn't going to be able to play because of injury/sickness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad