The ROC

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
The German Klosterhalfen is part of that training team as well. Apparently, the training conditions there are a dream come true. But everytime she races, the Oregon project and Salazar are mentioned so it leaves a bad taste in the mouth for the viewers. And a lot of suspicion from the doping controllers as well, I assume.

Exactly. I just don't get it. If I was an athlete at that level the last thing I would like to see would be that all of my results would always be questioned. So you got to wonder why they are willing to "sacrifice" that part of it?

Well. I say I don't get it. Of course I do get it for many athletes. Being good at sports might be a way for you and maybe your whole family to get out of poverty. Would I use EPO if my mother was living off less than 1 USD per day and me using EPO would help her out of that situation? I would say most likely - almost guaranteed I would. And I think that would go for most.

Would I do it growing up in Norway? Never. Even if god himself/herself told me I would never be caught and it would make me an Olympic champion I wouldn't have done it.

The saddest part are those athletes from poor places who are doing the right thing, but are never given a chance because they end up losing to cheaters. That is why I wish athletes from richer countries would take a tougher stand - and that the national anti doping agencies would to a larger extent be funded internationally. Until they have a financial incentive not to help their athletes to cheat this will never change. And until countries like the US are tougher on their own athletes it will never change (they seem to have gotten a lot tougher recently though - so at least there is some hope there).

Reactions: Eisen

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Exactly. I just don't get it. If I was an athlete at that level the last thing I would like to see would be that all of my results would always be questioned. So you got to wonder why they are willing to "sacrifice" that part of it?

It appears relatively easy to be convinced that "everyone is doping" and you simply won't have a chance unless you end up on an even playing field with those dopers who don't get caught.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
True enough. The former systems employed in the likes of the GDR did select well and the coaches were pretty decent. Most of the athletes were unaware they had been doped by their coaches. I must admit growing up I rather enjoyed Hanns Eisler's anthem. Still gives me a warm feeling. Uwe Hohn holder of the immortal javelin record and who missed out through injury and boycott on Olympic gold coached Neeraj Chopra to a gold medal.

We measure our lives those of us with a keen interest in sport by Olympics both summer and winter and World Cups. It's a bit sad when the flame is extinguished, the flag handed over and the Olympic anthem sung to close proceedings. When you are young you cannot wait to see the next Games. As you get older and I expect this is true for the really old you start wondering if you will see the next Games.

I'd like to die immeadiately after a football World Cup final (normal schedule, not after 2022 yet :)) so the new season hadn't started and thus there would be sort closure on everything.

Reactions: BMann

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Yes, history is marred with doubtful performances, and many from outside Russia.
Florence Joyner is a laughable example. She suddenly became twice as fast as before and died extremely young of unknown reasons.

You are short on facts!

Flo Jo trained for at least 8 years before she won her gold medal in the Olympics.
She began running meets on weekends when she was an elementary school student. She ran in high school and during some college before she dropped out to work.

She qualified third in the 100 meters for the US team in 1980. She came in 4th in the US trials for the 200 meters. The US boycotted the Moscow Olympics, so she didn't get to run in the 100 meters race.

She ran in 1984 and won a silver medal in the 200 meters.

She ran in 1988 and won a gold medal in the same event.

Another poster mentioned that her time was probably wind aided, but the equipment malfunctioned. Even a 5 mph wind coming from behind would shave several tenths of a second off of your time in the 100 or 200 meters.

She did die in her sleep at 38, three months shy of 39, in 1998. She had a seizure in 1990 and was treated for them in 1993 and 1994. After her death, her autopsy revealed a brain abnormality that caused the seizures. Her body had acetaminophen and Benadryl. She died of a seizure in her sleep. Her cause of death is unknown to you.

TRACK AND FIELD; Griffith Joyner Died After Seizure in Sleep (Published 1998)

When she was running, she was drug tested several times without any positive results.

She was never found to be using any illegal drugs during her running career.

My own sister-in-law died of a seizure in her sleep due to diabetes. She was in her mid 50s and could have had another 20 years or so before her sudden death. It does happen to people.

The Russians had a lab and a program to cheat in the Olympics. They got a slap on the wrist!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad