The RJ Umberger Appreciation Thread

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The thread title is both self-explanatory and exclusive. It's tradition at HF CBJ and an opportunity to display your bigger-person, magnanimous side.

Positive recollections only in this thread. Backhanded compliments will be treated the same as negative comments, which is to say deleted an threadbanned. Thank you.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Funny thing for RJ... for a few seasons HE was the guy who was the example of the turnaround from the country club atmosphere, the true warrior we'd been waiting for, etc. Not sure what happened with his fitness, but I believe he's still the same guy inside.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
I'll always remember him for the stealing the Blues' soccer ball.

He's one of my all-time favorite Jackets.

God speed Umby!!

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I wish him nothing but the best and look forward to him returning to Nationwide after he retires with his kids in full Union Blue attire!

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Classy guy, had more skill than people gave him credit for. I'm happy for him being able to go to a competitive team (back to where he began his career even). I'm disappointed in how it ended here compared to how it began, but it was clear that both he and the team needed to part ways.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'll always remember him for the stealing the Blues' soccer ball.

He's one of my all-time favorite Jackets.

God speed Umby!!
"THIS IS OUR HOUSE!" :D

Team MVP for the first several years, and it was awesome. I wish it could've lasted. I'm glad he'll be staying in Columbus personally, if not necessarily professionally. :)

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
RJ was a warrior when we struggled. I thank him for his passion and dedication to the community. I cant blame him to want a chance to play. He's welcome "home" when the time is right.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
No matter what people say about Umberger, he was a Blue Jacket through and through. It's a shame he had to move on, but I wish him nothing but the best. I won't soon forget that block in OT of Game 4. Best wishes RJ

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Good luck in PHI RJ! I will remember him for the Blues Soccer ball, using his face to block Olli Maatta's shot (turned into Foligno's GWG). I remember when he was seen as a future captain and untouchable.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
No complaints about RJ. He saw the light at the end of the tunnel and did what he had to do. I'll always remember his efforts in game 4, resulting in the coolest CBJ moment to date..

Best of luck to him in Philly. I hope they play well against us in the playoffs ... well enough to lose ;)

cbjfaninmo

4 those about 2 rock
Mar 17, 2012
Lake of the Ozarks, MO
Good luck in PHI RJ! I will remember him for the Blues Soccer ball, using his face to block Olli Maatta's shot (turned into Foligno's GWG). I remember when he was seen as a future captain and untouchable.

Two of my favorite RJ memories too. Good luck RJ and thank you. Columbus is becoming a destination place for both current and retired players. Keep the tide turning!

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
RJ was a warrior when we struggled. I thank him for his passion and dedication to the community. I cant blame him to want a chance to play. He's welcome "home" when the time is right.[/

There's not much more to add. I Second comments

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I like RJ and appreciate the work that he put in. It's unfortunate when a team outgrows a veteran like this. I wish him well with the Flyers. I hope he puts up quite a few points while racking up tons of losses.

There really isn't much left of this team from back in the day. Boll and Tyutin along with MacKenzie are about it.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Good luck to RJ, always a classy guy. It's always sad when a veteran players time comes to an end with your team. I will forever remember him for scoring the first ever playoff goal for the Jackets. That was a great moment to see in person.

ratm5

Oct 24, 2007
I'll remember umby for getting rocked in our other playoff appearance by Stuart and still playing in that game. Also for bocking the shot face first in these playoffs, guy is a warrior.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Thank you for helping to change the culture of the Blue Jackets locker room. I'm glad you'll still be a neighbor.

hip check

Go North.
Jan 21, 2010
He was a positive during a few negative years for CBJ. I bought an Umberger sweater after his first year here, and I'm glad I did. I'll always be a fan of his- except when he plays against Columbus. Best of luck to the rest of his career.

gocbj

Aug 3, 2007
C9
…he scored our first playoff goal ever in Detroit. And I have the jersey! Paid $400 at a CBJ event - - couldn't believe it was for sale! I wish they still had those events - - plywood on the ice and jerseys for sale. Bought some great ones back then…

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Class act. Good to hear he will call Columbus home and raise his family here. Best of luck in Philly except when Jackets play Flyers.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I was ready to buy an 18 jersey and slap a 'C' on his jersey after the Blues soccer incident, he was a beast the first few years, something happened after the knockout blow by Stuart in the playoffs, and he has never been the same physical player. But I have always appreciated his effort and he's a great guy, glad him and his family are still going to call Columbus home in the offseason. My girlfriend works for the designer doing their house and she said they have always been great people, never heard a bad word about him as a person. Good luck RJ!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad