The rivalry Vancouver Canucks fan have been waiting for

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Possible. I think it'd take less. For an example, look at Seattle and Vancouver in MLS. Instant hatred.

Sure, but also basically "instant teams". Starting from scratch is one thing.

The Canucks have been around for a good while, and we've got bigger rivals to worry about than a potential expansion team nearby.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Flames and Oilers rivalry seem to be more important to their fans than ours to be honest. Both Alberta fans need something to cheer about or cheer against since they haven't been in the playoffs for a while. That's why the are holding on to the rivalry. Not to mention many Oiler games (the last few years) have had almost as many 'nucks fan as Oilers fan (not as many but the noise level from 'nucks fans seem to match Oilers fan).

Of course now both teams seem to be on their way up while 'nucks are on our way down so maybe there will be a more competitive rivalry in the near future.

I'd disagree with that. I think there's a pretty deep and well entrenched rivalry both ways among long-time Canucks and Flames fans. The Oilers thing...not so much. That's a bit one-way i guess. If the Oilers do ever turn into the "dynasty" :laugh: their fans expect, i'm sure the rivalry would flare back up in an instant.

But that Calgary - Vancouver thing is never ever going away. It's just two teams, two fanbases, two cities that straight up don't like each other. That's the truly "organic" rivalry imo. And because they're Flames fans...they are full of hate and they can hate both the Oilers and the Canucks equally. It's a unique talent, and one of their only ones.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
decent article.

1. would not be a rivalry until the newbies have a chance to win. seldom less than 7 years.

2. Tons of VCR fans would invade the Seattle games, assuming the ticket prices were reasonable, which i think they would be.

3. Very few Seattle fans would come to VCR except the ones that are already Vcr fans.

4. Re another TO team is actually a really good idea. They have like 2 1/2 x the population base to support a team than VCR. TML would scream and yell and demand a small ransom, but its not a bad idea. If NY can have 3 NHL teams within 30 miles, To can handle another one.

Living in the states, I would love a Seattle team. I have Canucks season tickets so will always be a diehard Canuck fan, but it would be great for Vancouver, and may be so for seattle.

i agree and disagree. i met a ton of people from seattle who used to love coming up to vancouver just cuz of the drinking age and plethora of strip clubs, so i guess it depends on what demographic you're talking about.

strip clubs in seattle are depressing. i've often wondered about how athletes who play for seattle teams spend their down-time or off-season. my guess is they don't spend it in seattle.

but again, it just depends on the age group, interests and demographic you're talking about.

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
i agree and disagree. i met a ton of people from seattle who used to love coming up to vancouver just cuz of the drinking age and plethora of strip clubs, so i guess it depends on what demographic you're talking about.

strip clubs in seattle are depressing. i've often wondered about how athletes who play for seattle teams spend their down-time or off-season. my guess is they don't spend it in seattle.

but again, it just depends on the age group and demographic you're talking about.

There are other places to spend time, besides Strip Clubs. Not sure if you were aware of that or not. Just thought i'd mention it.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
There are other places to spend time, besides Strip Clubs. Not sure if you were aware of that or not. Just thought i'd mention it.

ummm ya..

which is why i said it depends on the person, demographic and their interests.

thanks for mentioning it tho. i wasn't aware life existed outside of the champagne room.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
I think the Calgary rivalry really started to die off when Iggy left
There of course was last year's embarrassing line brawl, but that was more sort of the coaches doing, though it may have kept the flame burning under this rivalry (bad pun ?)

I'd personally love to see a Seattle rivalry
The battle of the green and blue

Last edited:

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
Possible. I think it'd take less. For an example, look at Seattle and Vancouver in MLS. Instant hatred.

True. I guess a large part will have to do with the media and what the avg fan is told. If there are a lot of articles and stories about how Seattle is bad and we should hate them, then the rivalry will commence pretty quick.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
pulls a johnny manziel and rushes to trademark the names for games between seattle and vancouver...

i5series, i5showdown, i5hifive, i5expresswayisclosedseries, Hwy1isanightmareshowdown, borderbattle, shouldaboughtanexuspass

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Portland is not in Washington (although it is very close to the state border), so the state does not have five major junior teams. There are probably Winterhawk fans in Vancouver, Washington, but still.

I like Seattle, have some of my closest family there and I have always cheered for the city's sports teams, so I really don't enjoy the prospect of hating them at all. Especially suspecting, as a Canuck fan, that they will have quick success and definitely win the Cup before Vancouver. And will also have a more stylish jersey in Northwest colors.

Last edited:

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Calgary has probably been the biggest rivalry for the franchise, as it has lasted multiple generations. In the 04-10 time I think it was pretty strong both ways and I think both sides probably considered each other their biggest rival. We were competing for the division, a pretty exciting playoff series, and were both pretty competitive teams. The early 90s was pretty similar to that time too, although the epic battle of Alberta was still pretty fresh in their minds at the time. The 80s we probably barely registered on their radar at all as they were serious contenders and we were nowhere close, but we still had a pretty epic playoff series in '89.

With them, we had a first round series in '89, '94 and '04 all go to the 7th game OT. I think the cities are different in their personality, yet sufficiently close and have a lot of ex-pats living in either city to maintain the rivalry for future generations. I don't think we need Seattle for a rivalry as they would be a new franchise and I don't think the fans will get into it as much.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
Calgary has probably been the biggest rivalry for the franchise, as it has lasted multiple generations. In the 04-10 time I think it was pretty strong both ways and I think both sides probably considered each other their biggest rival. We were competing for the division, a pretty exciting playoff series, and were both pretty competitive teams. The early 90s was pretty similar to that time too, although the epic battle of Alberta was still pretty fresh in their minds at the time. The 80s we probably barely registered on their radar at all as they were serious contenders and we were nowhere close, but we still had a pretty epic playoff series in '89.

With them, we had a first round series in '89, '94 and '04 all go to the 7th game OT. I think the cities are different in their personality, yet sufficiently close and have a lot of ex-pats living in either city to maintain the rivalry for future generations. I don't think we need Seattle for a rivalry as they would be a new franchise and I don't think the fans will get into it as much.

I think another big reason for the rivalry is that the team that won the brutally contested 7 game series in 89, 94 and 04 series went all the way to the cup final. You remember those types of series.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Calgary has probably been the biggest rivalry for the franchise, as it has lasted multiple generations.
Those are some pretty short generations. :laugh:

For the record, the Canucks and Flames also played when the Canucks went to the Final in 1982, but they'd been in Calgary for like 15 minutes and it was a best-of-5 series swept 3-0 by Vancouver.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Just want to add....tough to gauge how many remember (or even were around) when the Whitecaps and Sounders had a rivalry of sorts back in the NASL days. There is history there but it was a while ago.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
It's Calgary. Living in Victoria there are so many annoying Calgary transplants here. Most weren't even alive for their cup win yet they act like they somehow contributed to it. I actually hope the Flames improve this year just so they don't get McDavid or Eichel. May they burn in the wasteland that is Alberta forever.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I can see a rivalry... "the dairy rivalry". Im sick of them Canucks coming down to our home games and taking back a trunk full of cheese! I could image a Seattle fan throwing blocks of cheese on the ice at rogers...

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
It's Calgary. Living in Victoria there are so many annoying Calgary transplants here. Most weren't even alive for their cup win yet they act like they somehow contributed to it. I actually hope the Flames improve this year just so they don't get McDavid or Eichel. May they burn in the wasteland that is Alberta forever.
meh, they (Calgary) inherited a playoff club that made the playoffs (Atlanta Flames). Didn't have to go thru the growing pains of a true expansion club.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
This is a bit OT but hey just for fun and some Friday smiles here are some interesting, fun facts about our two Alberta rivals.

The Oilers have made it past the first round a grand total of 3 times since 1992 and just once since 1998 which is the year they went to the finals.

Since 1993, the Flames have made it past the first round once in 2004 when they went to the finals.

jimslob

Dec 9, 2008
It would be a rivalry like we had with the Canadians when the Canucks first came into the league and we went 5 years without ever winning a game against them even though in the same division and we played several times a year.

I remember the first game we won against them, it was in the playoffs and it was like we had won the cup!

We hated them and they were like who are we playing again?

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
It would be a rivalry like we had with the Canadians when the Canucks first came into the league and we went 5 years without ever winning a game against them even though in the same division and we played several times a year.

I remember the first game we won against them, it was in the playoffs and it was like we had won the cup!

We hated them and they were like who are we playing again?

I think what made us "hate" them even more was how much they seemed to dominate in the stands as well in those days - I'd swear at least 50% of them were Habfans. Was like that when the Leafs came into town as well.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
There's no doubt about the intensity/animosity being there, even when things have been lopsided in the Canucks' favor, against Calgary and Edmonton. But I still think there's *something* missing when you know that it'll always play second fiddle to the Battle of Alberta. It's kind of like whenever the Bruins develop anything with a team like the Flyers or the Leafs -- it may trump what they have with the Habs from time to time, but it'll never have the staying power or allure that Boston-Montreal does.

I know it may take a few years to get going once a team is in place in Seattle, but I think the physical proximity and the fact that Seattle won't have a pre-established rivalry with another team will make them a lock to be Vancouver's main rival.

Americans don't care about the Battle of Alberta. They also really don't care about Toronto/Montreal. The Seattle/Vancouver would be the most natural cross-border rivalry and would thus have more exposure that way. I doubt anyone in Oregon, California, or Idaho much care for Calgary vs. Edmonton nor will they ever.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I really don't think the Seattle/Vancouver rivalry would ever eclipse Calgary/Vancouver. There are a lot of Canucks fans already in Washington state and a lot of Seahawks fans in BC. It would feel so weird to hate Seattle. I also miss the SuperSonics, even more than the Grizzlies.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
To be honest, if Seattle gets a team they'd probably immediately become my #2.

And the majority of Seattle hockey fans follow Vancouver due to proximity. I think it would at least take a couple heated playoff series to get anything going long term.

Sleeper

Aug 10, 2007
I dunno, it'd be weird to despise a Seattle sports team because I love the Seahawks almost as much as the Canucks, and casually cheer for the Mariners.

I've always thought of Seattle like a friendly brother city, not really a rival.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Meh, Calgary people go to Victoria or Kelowna for some reason..avoid Vancouver cause " it's too big"

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: