The rivalry Vancouver Canucks fan have been waiting for

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
could take years or atleast a decade for it to be a true rivalry. I would strongly suggest that the writers for the partner sites read this board, the oiler board and flames board when the Canucks play those teams. Oilers and flames have been the natural enemy sorry rivalry. Some people around hate to admit it since we have been on a winning streak the last ten year. Most forget the 20 year beat downs we were getting on a regular basis prior to that

Puck Ingrate

Aug 18, 2011
MSP / YVR
Appreciate the effort, and a potential Seattle vs. Vancouver rivalry is a good starting point for discussion, but the article itself is poorly written, jumps all over the place and doesn't offer much meaningful analysis beyond saying: "The Albertan and Pennsylvanian teams enjoy rivalries. Seattle and Vancouver are geographical rivals; therefore, a Seattle-Vancouver rivalry would be good for Vancouver and the NHL."

Sorry for being blunt, but HFB "partner" sites need to come up with higher quality material if they're hoping to gain any traction by using this board as a promotional tool.

Lord Byron

Oct 2, 2007
could take years or atleast a decade for it to be a true rivalry. I would strongly suggest that the writers for the partner sites read this board, the oiler board and flames board when the Canucks play those teams. Oilers and flames have been the natural enemy sorry rivalry. Some people around hate to admit it since we have been on a winning streak the last ten year. Most forget the 20 year beat downs we were getting on a regular basis prior to that

There's no doubt about the intensity/animosity being there, even when things have been lopsided in the Canucks' favor, against Calgary and Edmonton. But I still think there's *something* missing when you know that it'll always play second fiddle to the Battle of Alberta. It's kind of like whenever the Bruins develop anything with a team like the Flyers or the Leafs -- it may trump what they have with the Habs from time to time, but it'll never have the staying power or allure that Boston-Montreal does.

I know it may take a few years to get going once a team is in place in Seattle, but I think the physical proximity and the fact that Seattle won't have a pre-established rivalry with another team will make them a lock to be Vancouver's main rival.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
There's no doubt about the intensity/animosity being there, even when things have been lopsided in the Canucks' favor, against Calgary and Edmonton. But I still think there's *something* missing when you know that it'll always play second fiddle to the Battle of Alberta. It's kind of like whenever the Bruins develop anything with a team like the Flyers or the Leafs -- it may trump what they have with the Habs from time to time, but it'll never have the staying power or allure that Boston-Montreal does.

I know it may take a few years to get going once a team is in place in Seattle, but I think the physical proximity and the fact that Seattle won't have a pre-established rivalry with another team will make them a lock to be Vancouver's main rival.

it will take a lot to replace Edmonton or Calgary. IT is a CANADIAN THING

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I thought it was a fairly decent article

Pioneer

Jul 7, 2014
B.C.
I agree with flames/oilers fans being enemies lol. They hate the canucks for taking away a bit of success every year from those teams (really they just have had the worst management in the league). The Flames make a bad trade every year like it's tradition, and The Oilers don't know what an NHL team is.
Boston and Toronto are tied IMO. Toronto has actually be our rival for "best canadian team", Montreal and Ottawa got their own mantra going. Anyways Toronto has been going on longer, but losing the cup to Boston like that puts them almost equal on my list (considering hate from both sides :laugh:).
Then CHI, both sides have got their licks in on the rivalry so it's died down.
SJ, LA, MIN, STL, DET and that would be about it.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
decent article.

1. would not be a rivalry until the newbies have a chance to win. seldom less than 7 years.

2. Tons of VCR fans would invade the Seattle games, assuming the ticket prices were reasonable, which i think they would be.

3. Very few Seattle fans would come to VCR except the ones that are already Vcr fans.

4. Re another TO team is actually a really good idea. They have like 2 1/2 x the population base to support a team than VCR. TML would scream and yell and demand a small ransom, but its not a bad idea. If NY can have 3 NHL teams within 30 miles, To can handle another one.

Living in the states, I would love a Seattle team. I have Canucks season tickets so will always be a diehard Canuck fan, but it would be great for Vancouver, and may be so for seattle.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
An NHL team would be a nice consolation prize for Seattle for getting ****ed by Clay Bennett.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I hate this logic, just because a team geographically close doesn't make them a rival, a true rivalry forms when the players on the ice have reason to dislike each other. Vancouver/Chicago was a real rivalry, I honestly couldn't care less about players Calgary or Edmonton, heck Taylor Hall is my favorite player in the league. I highly doubt players on the Vancouver Canucks circle dates on their calender for games against the Flames or Oilers.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Honestly i think the "rivalry" is getting close to (if not already) over. Sure it was a cup final rivalry but when you only face each other in the playoff once in pretty much a lifetime (at least i can't remember the last time before the cup finals), there isn't much a rivalry... at least not years after the fact. The media will hype up the game for ratings but realistically, i don't see it as a "special" game anymore... just another game or a benchmark game (since Boston likely will be an elite team next year).

I would say Chicago is a bigger rival due to the number of times we played them (both regular season and playoff). Even the 3 Cali teams are probably bigger rivals at this point and of course the 2 Alberta teams (tho it has been one sided for a while so not sure how big the rivalry still is).

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
A Seattle team might spark a rivalry. If they are an expansion franchise Canucks should trounce them regularly, for years. If they are an existing franchise that moves there is a better chance.

I don't think it matters. Both teams will sell out, every game, every year.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
But...we already have rivalries.

The Flames in particular. That's never going away.

The Oilers rivalry dying out so badly when the other team was awful pretty well illustrates the problem with this idea. It's still there, but when they have nothing to offer in push back it's not even fun anymore.

It's like the Wild with their weird one-way rivalry with the Canucks they had for so many years. Okay upstart team, good rivalry you've found there *pats expansion team on the head*.

The other major rivalries the Canucks have are forged in the fires of the playoffs. The Blackhawks, Bruins topping the list.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
If that's one of the criteria, I think we can cross off all 3 Cal. teams.

Actually we are still relatively competitive against SJS and unless you're just looking @ the last 3 seasons, we have been fairly competitive with the other teams too (i.e. we beat both LA and SJS in playoff series with Sedins, Burrows, etc on the team). Not to mention we have played against both teams multiple times in the playoffs in the last few years.

I guess we don't have as much recent history vs Ana but its easier to say all 3 than just 2. The other thing is division rivals are more or less rivals in the current structure since if they make the playoffs, then there's a decent chance you'll face them in the first 2 rounds.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
But...we already have rivalries.

The Flames in particular. That's never going away.

The Oilers rivalry dying out so badly when the other team was awful pretty well illustrates the problem with this idea. It's still there, but when they have nothing to offer in push back it's not even fun anymore.

It's like the Wild with their weird one-way rivalry with the Canucks they had for so many years. Okay upstart team, good rivalry you've found there *pats expansion team on the head*.

The other major rivalries the Canucks have are forged in the fires of the playoffs. The Blackhawks, Bruins topping the list.

Flames and Oilers rivalry seem to be more important to their fans than ours to be honest. Both Alberta fans need something to cheer about or cheer against since they haven't been in the playoffs for a while. That's why the are holding on to the rivalry. Not to mention many Oiler games (the last few years) have had almost as many 'nucks fan as Oilers fan (not as many but the noise level from 'nucks fans seem to match Oilers fan).

Of course now both teams seem to be on their way up while 'nucks are on our way down so maybe there will be a more competitive rivalry in the near future.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
Just because we have rivalries with the Albertan teams, doesnt mean we can't add a rival. But I think it will take at least 6-7 years before that happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad