Speculation: The rise and fall of Joffrey Lupul

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Liked Lupul alright, and thought he and Kessel were an amazing pair together. Guy had skill, was money in the shoot-out, and played with heart, dropping the gloves on a couple of occasions.

Hate to see a guy go out like he did, but he made himself some money and his body couldn't hold up, so might as well get out while you can still enjoy the lifestyle that his earnings had afforded him.

Nothing but good stuff for Lupes. Just wish he'd been able to stay healthier.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
If you look at LUPUL...P is the peak of the curve...a very narrow curve unfortunately...Lou found another loophole and got rid of him...:sarcasm:

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Loved him on the leafs, was definitely my favourite player during his time here.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
No offense to guys like Lupul, Phaneuf, Grabovski, etc. but when you look back on those years you're more appreciative of the bluechip talent we have now. Growing pains and challenges and all.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
No offense to guys like Lupul, Phaneuf, Grabovski, etc. but when you look back on those years you're more appreciative of the bluechip talent we have now. Growing pains and challenges and all.
White chip right? Or does this have nothing to do with blue collar and white collar

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Loved lupul! He was great in the shootouts and was an awesome player for us.

Sad about the injuries.

Even worse still are the weird rants against the leafs.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
One of, if not the, best Burke trade in all likelihood, but a lot of that comes down to swapping out Beauchemin for Gardiner alone.

Still, Lupul was a fantastic player when healthy, among our best, most well rounded forwards from 2011-2014, but then he started to decline, the injuries taking their toll, and 2014-2016 Lupul was a shell of his former self.

I specifically enjoyed his 2011-12 season, when he started alongside Kessel, and they were tearing up the league early in the season. Then he came back from injury in 2012-13 when Kadri was just on an absolute heater, playing the best hockey of his young career, and they partnered up heading into the playoffs and were fantastic together.

It is a shame he wasn't healthier and more dependable. Although in the long-run, maybe it was for the best that he wasn't lifting the team out of the basement and into mediocrity in the 2014-15 & 2015-16 seasons, otherwise we may never have got Marner & Matthews.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Not a fan of the contract, but definitely a fan of the person and the play style. Also I saw him score 2 goals live in his last season which was fun.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Can't complain when a cap dump turns into a 1st liner.

It ended bad with the Robidas Island business. I never liked how that happened. And he did get hurt alot. But there's nothing but positives about what Lupul did on the ice. Guy was a gamer, and had a great shot.

Every rebuilding team is hoping to find a hidden gem like Lupul was for us back then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad