Speculation: The rise and fall of Joffrey Lupul

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I don't think he gets mentioned enough.

He was a bit of a polarizing player when came over in the Beauchemin trade.

I felt like many others that he was a stop-gap forward (a short-term reclamation project), and would likely not last. He had a litany of injuries and he bounced all over the league.

I was really surprised by his turn around and his all star appearance, but couldn't believe the contract he got. In his career he had 2 seasons where he actually played 81 games, but for the most part he missed a lot of hockey. For some reason Nonis ignored that and awarded him a 5x5.25mill with a NTC.

We all know how badly things went in his final 5 years not to mention his social media rants that got him no where.

Were you ever a Lupul fan?

Last edited:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
He had A LOT of health issues and almost died from an infection resulting from a surgery he had while playing in Anaheim.

All things considered, I think he did pretty well. One of the few players that played with some heart on those Leafs teams.

Reactions: qqaz and ACC1224

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
He was one of the more entertaining Leafs when he was healthy. I was shocked just how effective he was upon his arrival and his chemistry with Kessel made their first line one of the most dominant in the League. He’s one of those players that could have carved out a decent career for himself had it not been for his health and it didn’t hurt that he oozed charisma off the ice while displaying a likable hustle on the ice. The man made a lot of fans swoon with his Instagram shots and guitar; and the rest of us cheered when he put the puck in the net. Of course I was a fan, shame it was so short lived.

Reactions: qqaz

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Came in through trade as a throw-in, was a highly producing star that played old-time tough hockey when he was healthy, got older and more injured fast.

Kadri and Lupul were a wonderful duo when Lupes was healthy. Creative, skilled, physical.

I don't know how anyone would not be a fan of the man.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Came in through trade as a throw-in, was a highly producing star that played old-time tough hockey when he was healthy, got older and more injured fast.

Kadri and Lupul were a wonderful duo when Lupes was healthy. Creative, skilled, physical.

I don't know how anyone would not be a fan of the man.

Right here.

Your profile of him is quite the brightly painted picture. Almost near delusional.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Loved Lupes! Still feel like he was the unofficial captain of that era and that he would hold a more esteemed place in Leafs history had it not been for the injuries.

What about his social media antics? He didn't part in a professional manner.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
A healthy Lupul was a dominant force. But he was seldom healthy. I believe he was fully healthy for about 30-40% of the games he played for the Leafs. Otherwise he was toughing it through games with a messed up shoulder and a deteriorating hip. He was a >1 ppg player when healthy. He's the perfect illustration of the rarity and fleeting effectiveness of most of these power wingers. It took a while for Lupul to become a fully functional NHLer then his style of game finished off his career.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
He had A LOT of health issues and almost died from an infection resulting from a surgery he had while playing in Anaheim.

All things considered, I think he did pretty well. One of the few players that played with some heart on those Leafs teams.

almost died a couple times ..

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
He is proof that life can always **** us up. At least he got some millions before that. His rants were normal. I am still not sure if he wasn’t forced to sit out. In doctor diagnosis can be made to fit specific purposes.

Reactions: al secord

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Doesn't get enough credit for how well he played here. He had a stretch of 100+ games where he was basically an elite player, and was probably our best forward in between Sundin and Matthews.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->