Post-Game Talk: The Rielly Rally Is Real! | Leafs Win 7-3!

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I’d love to see us shore up the goaltending as much as acquire a D partner for Rielly.

I’d be looking to try to swing a bigger package potentially for both from one team if possible, but the cap would be challenging.

Can’t help but wonder how great this team looks with say Saros & Schenn added into our two biggest positions of need. Probably a pipe dream though

Tanev is a better D target but I like Saros better than Markstrom and Schenn would be cheaper.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I’d love to see us shore up the goaltending as much as acquire a D partner for Rielly.

I’d be looking to try to swing a bigger package potentially for both from one team if possible, but the cap would be challenging.

Can’t help but wonder how great this team looks with say Saros & Schenn added into our two biggest positions of need. Probably a pipe dream though

Tanev is a better D target but I like Saros better than Markstrom and Schenn would be cheaper.

That’s the only “swing for the fences” move I want. A trade for Saros or Markstrom.

Reactions: bax and ACC1224

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Imagine this team with a real goaltender

Martin Jones with a .885 save percentage, thought every goal was a bad goal. Beat clean on 3 shots.

This is what kills this team in the playoffs when you got to move hell on earth to get a goal and the other team scores on a muffin from the point.

As much as I agree that Jones isn’t the long term solution in net (and I doubt that’s the plan with Woll likely coming back soon), it’s hard to worry about this particular game when we chased the defending cup winning goalie in about 15 minutes. Playoff goaltending has always been about getting hot at the right time.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
If we could somehow harness that 1st period energy and work ethic and use that as the bench mark going into the playoffs, we will be an extremely hard team to beat.

I don't want to come across as hyperbolic, but that 1st period was probably the best period of hockey I have seen from this roster, and maybe any roster during the core 4 era. All 4 lines got the puck in behind their D, and out worked their man into making mistakes. It was a playoff effort top to bottom that 1st period. Even my wife who is nothing more than a supportive Leaf fan spouse said to me "what is going on??". It was so refreshing.

It wasn't because the pucks were going in. We've had 4 goal leads after 1 plenty of times. It was how those chances were being created. Pucks in deep, followed by intense pressure.

The belt went to Pontus, which was more than deserving, but I think a major shout out should be made to that entire 4th line, especially Reavo. He's taken a lot of heat this year and rightfully so. But ever since he's come back, he's actually played really well IMO aside from the obligatory 1 mistake per game (ie. bad penalty or long shift).

The forward lines have never looked better IMO. Those are 4 lines that can be trusted and rolled during most 5v5 situations.

Understandably the foot was slightly taken off the gas after 1, but the boys still managed to secure the 2pts quite comfortably despite the pushbacks VGK tried to make

keep it rolling boys!!!

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
That’s the only “swing for the fences” move I want. A trade for Saros or Markstrom.

The problem with swinging for the fences with goalies is so few of them are sure things. Markstrom is having a good year but has been very hot and cold with Calgary.

Saros is arguably as close to a sure thing as you can find on the trade block. But how comfortable are you emptying the cupboards for a goalie in the middle of his worst season to date and hoping that he’ll look better with the Leafs/find his game by the playoffs?

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
The problem with swinging for the fences with goalies is so few of them are sure things. Markstrom is having a good year but has been very hot and cold with Calgary.

Saros is arguably as close to a sure thing as you can find on the trade block. But how comfortable are you emptying the cupboards for a goalie in the middle of his worst season to date and hoping that he’ll look better with the Leafs/find his game by the playoffs?
Trading for a goalie at this point in the season is a bad idea. Just roll with Woll and Samsonov.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
That 2 on 2 for Matthews goal was textbook, made the D look like fringe players.

Holmberg with a high IQ play

Seeing more and more of the things that led his his success at a young age in the SHL. If he can keep up the consistency he might be a top 9 glue guy that can play along top line guys for stretches.

I think he’s similar to Jarnkrok but plays a heavier game.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I'd like to see:

McMann Matthews Marner
Bertuzzi Domi Nylander
Knies Tavares Robertson
Holmberg Kampf Jarnkrok
That would be interesting. It looks quite balanced. I would say that if we could get a 3rd line RW who is a bigger body and decent defensively, i think that would help Tavares and Knies. Robertson could be the 13th forward, which would mean we are very strong. I just don't think Robertson will be comfortable playing playoff hockey just yet. If we could add size to that line, it wouldn't be much fun to play against.

Reactions: TMLife17

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Maybe give the Leafs credit. They skated, they were intense. I have never seen Marner play like he did last night, looked like he was on speed

i give leafs credit but you also need to consider than Vegas probably played their worst game this season.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I feel like doing some over the top BwO GDT for Saturday, but I can't touch the heater here, if they lose it'll be my fault.
Do it up.

I have watched by my estimation a couple thousand Leaf games. Not 3+, but 2+ seems safe.

Dozens of times, maybe in to 100's, of those games, because they weren't very good for a lot of those games, I have stood up after the first and muttered "What the f*** was that?".

To my memory, tonight was the first time I stood up after the first and muttered, seriously out loud with no one else around, "What the f*** was that?" and meant it in a good way.
Yea it's been well over now and for the first time in years it feels like we can consistently churn a good effort.

A part of me is still scared old habits still creep in, but mm letting myself enjoy this... Holy crap it feels good. So damn good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad