The Return of the Hartford Whalers

GWhale*

SLake said:
Let me ask you one thing. Very seriously, I'm intrigued by this quote and would like clarification. If the NHL returned to Hartford and the team was called the Whalers and they wore the familiar blue and green...would you be a season-ticket holder?

I'm confused because you are so passionately saying how there is a market in CT for NHL hockey, but above you sound like someone who just wants NHL hockey in town so that you can go to games here and there and that was one of the problems when the Whalers were there the first time around.

Listen, I love going to hockey games. It's my favorite. But I only support an organization that I can respect. If that happens, I'll go to every game and bring people along even, sure.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
jet228 said:
Unfortnately, the site where I originally read about the expansion capability was on the construction site while MTS Centre was bieng built, so there's no link. Saying 'no it can't' is calling me a liar.

I would refer to you as ill-informed, or as was later posted, you simply mis-remembered.

FYI Izzy asper is dead. I am talking about his son David, who according to Winnipeg Mayor Sam Katz, although not commiting to anything, was willing to listen and judge the situation after the CBA was resolved....

Sorry, misspoke myself on the name. Regarding the quote of "I would look into it", that does not mean he is interested in actually buying a team and relocating one to Winnipeg. It could have simply been a PR statement, or he could find out that it is not feasable and decide not to buy a team.

As for source... it was suggested by a very reputable sports writer... Scott Taylor in the June 15th edition of the Winnipeg Free Press

Scott Taylor is not all that reputable, especially in this instance. He has been pushing for a Jets return for some time, and has become rather idealistic in his writings. Also, the suggestion of a sportswriter is not a statement of fact.

The MTS Centre is far nicer than the Saddledome, though I agree its somewhat smaller.

I would hope it is nicer, given the Saddledome is 22 years old now.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Resolute said:
Regarding the quote of "I would look into it", that does not mean he is interested in actually buying a team and relocating one to Winnipeg. It could have simply been a PR statement, or he could find out that it is not feasable and decide not to buy a team.
To jog your memory:
Resolute said:
I would ask that you show me a link where he does state an interest.
jamiebez said:
"I'd probably have some interest in exploring the feasibility of it" - David Asper
Rationalize it all you want, but this is a quote indicates an interest, albeit a qualified one. Whether he goes through with it or not is another matter, this quote publicly expresses an interest, which is all you asked for. Ask and ye shall receive ;)

And stating that it's "just a PR statement" based on this quote alone is equally as speculative as him those who list him as a possible owner.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
jamiebez said:
And stating that it's "just a PR statement" based on this quote alone is equally as speculative as him those who list him as a possible owner.

It probably is a PR statement. He basically said he'll look into, but that doesn't mean squat until someone steps up. For example the rockets' owner les alexander has been nagging bettman and has been quoted saying "We're trying" and the other group in Kansas city saying "There is no reason why the Penguins can't be the Kansas City penguins."

That shows a genuine interest where as the stuff that is comming from Izzy Aspers' son is like what a Dad tells his son who desperately wants a new toy. "We'll see son..."

MuzikMachine

Nov 14, 2005
jamiebez said:
To jog your memory:

"I'd probably have some interest in exploring the feasibility of it" - David Asper

Rationalize it all you want, but this is a quote indicates an interest, albeit a qualified one. Whether he goes through with it or not is another matter, this quote publicly expresses an interest, which is all you asked for. Ask and ye shall receive ;)

"Interest" can mean a lot of things though. I recall in the latter years of Peter Puck's reign there was a supposed group of 4-5 major oil companies that were going to purchase the Oilers and be sponsors of then Northlands Coliseum. The group definitely had the resources to buy the Oilers but in the end it never happened. My impression of Asper’s quote is that while he’s not absolutely ruling out the possibility of having some interest in an NHL franchise for Winnipeg, he’s not exactly the "knight in shining amour" that’s going to bring back NHL hockey to Winnipeg the first opportunity a franchise becomes available.

GWhale*

Squiddy said:
So why did you create this thread?

:shakehead Not to discuss the TV rights and skybox sales of a club that doesn't even exist yet. I'm more interested in talking about hockey.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
GWhale said:
:shakehead Not to discuss the TV rights and skybox sales of a club that doesn't even exist yet. I'm more interested in talking about hockey.

And how do you suppose Hartford is going to attract a NHL team without those two very important things?

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
MuzikMachine said:
"Interest" can mean a lot of things though. I recall in the latter years of Peter Puck's reign there was a supposed group of 4-5 major oil companies that were going to purchase the Oilers and be sponsors of then Northlands Coliseum. The group definitely had the resources to buy the Oilers but in the end it never happened. My impression of Asper’s quote is that while he’s not absolutely ruling out the possibility of having some interest in an NHL franchise for Winnipeg, he’s not exactly the "knight in shining amour" that’s going to bring back NHL hockey to Winnipeg the first opportunity a franchise becomes available.
That's a fair interpretation of it, and for what it's worth, I don't disagree. No one's saying Asper's buying the Blues tomorrow and moving them to Winnipeg, but based on the quote I posted, it's within the realm of possibility that he would be involved in some way in bringing the NHL back to Winnipeg.

And that's really all I'm saying. It's all speculation, and your interpretation is as valid as anyone else's until some actual facts come to light. It's equally as credible to say "he's a possible buyer" than it is to say "it's just a PR statement" based on one quote.

GWhale*

Squiddy said:
And how do you suppose Hartford is going to attract a NHL team without those two very important things?

Sure, why not. Do you even like hockey, or just talking about money? Do you follow the sport or do you just enjoy speculating on that crap? Do you think the owner of your favorite club, if you even have one, wouldn't laugh out loud if they saw your rantings?

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
GWhale said:
Sure, why not. Do you even like hockey, or just talking about money? Do you follow the sport or do you just enjoy speculating on that crap? Do you think the owner of your favorite club, if you even have one, wouldn't laugh out loud if they saw your rantings?
"Do you even like hockey, or just talking about money?"

I love hockey and money...

"Do you follow the sport or do you just enjoy speculating on that crap?"

Yes I follow the sport and I speculate on things... Why not? I'm using both the left and right side of my brain. Considering my career path leads to similarities of running a franchise.. why not?

"Do you think the owner of your favorite club, if you even have one, wouldn't laugh out loud if they saw your rantings?"

Do you think gary bettman and the current NHL owners aren't laughing at you for your rants? Furthermore, I doubt Mr Dolan cares about what I think, but I'm pretty sure Mr Karmanos is laughing at a person such as yourself.

Petty name calling is the first sign of desperation.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
GWhale said:
Have you noticed the name of this forum? THE BUSINESS OF HOCKEY. You're in the place where the discussion are about the business -- the thing that makes it possible for fans to pay their money to have a team to see in the first place. It's fine if all you want to do is talk hockey -- there's plenty of forums here or on other boards to talk about the game on the ice. But if you want to talk about Hartford getting an NHL team, you HAVE to talk about the business side, or you're just another whiner who won't learn the reasons that the NHL isn't there now, and won't have any other conversation about the NHL and your city other than "gimmegimmegimmegimmegimmeIDESERVEIT!!". The owner of my team would pay a lot more sense to my discussion of the business realities of the NHL than he EVER would to you talking about Ron Francis -- because it's how he sees the sport. As a business.

I love the game. It's because of my love for the game that I got interested in the business -- I wanted to know why teams folded, moved, or were added to the minor league in my town. And along the way, I learned to appreciate a drop pass and a one timer as much as I appreciate a logical alignment and playoff scheme, and as much as I appreciate LOGICAL discussions about the future of the game, the sport, and the business.

So, your rantings are the ones that would make owners laugh, frankly. Can't stand the business talk? Then get out of the business forum.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
jamiebez said:
To jog your memory:

Agreed. However, I stated that that option was speculative. For a lot of the jetsowner people, that someone like Asper will step up is assumed.

As far as the rest goes, I should have qualified my question as asking for someone who expressed serious (real) interest, but did not, so I have to yield that point.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
GWhale said:

In that case, you are in the wrong forum. Hartford has to show it is viable in the buisness of hockey before the skates will be laced up to play the game of hockey.

The financial aspects of the buisness - such as potential for luxury boxes and TV rights are of key importance to the viability of an NHL team in Hartford.

GWhale*

My rantings are not the ones the owners would laugh at. If more people thought like I did, the owners would be terrified. They wouldn't be able to threaten the fans to get more sales, what a wonderful thing to lose. And people wonder why attendance was low in Hartford for a couple years. New Englanders don't take the crap that others might.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
GWhale said:
My rantings are not the ones the owners would laugh at. If more people thought like I did, the owners would be terrified. They wouldn't be able to threaten the fans to get more sales, what a wonderful thing to lose. And people wonder why attendance was low in Hartford for a couple years. New Englanders don't take the crap that others might.
Dude, you just made my quote book.

CLASSIC

somebody hire this guy as the leafs GM

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
GWhale said:

:biglaugh:

OR...

Not many people care about the whalers in NE? Perhaps YOUR love for the whalers is blinding you of the truth that the Bruins were the pride and joy of NE pro hockey and the whalers were nothing but the ugly stepchild with warts?

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
GWhale said:
New Englanders don't take the crap that others might.
I guess you're right. Unlike you tough New Englanders, I just bent over and took it by handing over all my hard earned money. Sure, I got to watch the Cup get paraded through downtown. And sure, I got to drink beer out of the Cup while reading names off it for a few hours at a tiny dive bar. But, I'd sure rather have your strong ethics and memories of a team that is gone and will never return. Because you really showed those guys at the NHL. You're the real winner.

GWhale*

Majik1987 said:
..and hence lost their team. I guess I applaud your resolve, but it seems like more of a cut off your nose to spite your face kind of move.

I attended nearly every game in those final years. I regret it, though. It felt like I was spending money to save a sinking ship already submerged. I had good times, but it was nothing like when the Whalers were run well, and I only added money into Peter Karmanos' scum pockets. He only bought the team, at its lowest, to move it. Everyone knew it. People can say Hartford never supported its team and whatnot, which isn't true at all, but you have to look at how simply dreadful the last few years were, on and especially off the ice.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
GWhale said:
Right and I'm sure Lord Stanley was thrilled that some idiot like yourself did that. You really accomplished greatness. You can brag on messageboards for years to come about that story, brilliant.
Actually, that's the first time I've ever brought it up. It was tons of fun, but I never had a reason to mention it before now where it seemed like a good opportunity to mock a bitter Whalers fan who thinks he's a better person because he doesn't give money to the NHL. You don't take that crap. Good for you. The rest of us will just keep enjoying our NHL hockey.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
futurcorerock said:
Dude, you just made my quote book.

CLASSIC...
I'm going to go out on a limb and say about 90% of this thread should be enshrined.... Or at least lock-proofed.

The mods must be in very good spirits after the New Year.

GWhale*

Troy McClure said:
Actually, that's the first time I've ever brought it up. It was tons of fun, but I never had a reason to mention it before now where it seemed like a good opportunity to mock a bitter Whalers fan who thinks he's a better person because he doesn't give money to the NHL. You don't take that crap. Good for you. The rest of us will just keep enjoying our NHL hockey.

Great do that, not interested.

MuzikMachine

Nov 14, 2005
Troy McClure said:
I guess you're right. Unlike you tough New Englanders, I just bent over and took it by handing over all my hard earned money. Sure, I got to watch the Cup get paraded through downtown. And sure, I got to drink beer out of the Cup while reading names off it for a few hours at a tiny dive bar. But, I'd sure rather have your strong ethics and memories of a team that is gone and will never return. Because you really showed those guys at the NHL. You're the real winner.

Not to sound sarcastic or anything, but since when was there a Stanley Cup parade in New England? Did this happen in the 70's or when Bourque brought the cup back after winning it in Colorado?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad